Sooke2015

Trap was none stop 3 till 5
The bite was on.
And long
8 screamers
What a riot. Couldn't keep up with reloading the teaser heads
I mean red hot!!!100ish feet of water 85 one 75 the other. Long leader one side short the other tight roll one side fast the other did t matter., landed 3 mid teens lost two mid twenty. American eagle eye treble hooks are garbage

Last edited by a moderator:
Have had very good success the last couple of weeks for Chinook fishing out front but decided not to post everything. Have hooked up and played lots of teens and up into the mid twenty's. I have been taking out some of my less experienced relatives so we are also loosing a lot but they have had fun. Have put our fair share in the freezer to the point where we will be doing more catch and release, depending on who I am fishing with. So far the braid and shallower side of the boat has been out fishing the steel and fishing deeper side of the boat. The good glow and UV plastic with shorter leaders has been out fishing the bait at times for Chinook, especially in the stronger current. Today we hooked up seven bigger Chinook and lost 2 while playing them. Put a 20 and a couple of teenagers in the boat and released a couple. Released one Hatchery Coho but did keep two others . The twenty today was on chovie but the teenagers were all on glow and UV plastic with short leaders. Of the Chinook today, one was caught down 200 feet and one was caught down 240 feet when we say them on the sounder at 200 feet and drop the ball down on them. The others were hooked up down 50 to 70 feet on the rigger.

Beat the 3 footers coming out of the harbour for dinner bite and fished the swell but little to no wind most of the night which was odd. Picked up a 20 white + 13 at the mouth and had a screamer in my hand as well which bit thru the leader... :mad: The elusive 30 club I haven't joined YET this year but what a great year so far! Only 3 pinks...Green glow JDF teaser.

Yesterday, I got a text from Andrew P asking if I wanted to join him and Dave S on a charter with Wolf....I thought, crap, I'll only be on 3 hours sleep, but when will I get a chance like this again? To boot, there was room for my boy, who's addicted to fishing. So, here we go.....
Wolf is the real deal. This guy knows how to catch fish, and lots of them. Super fun guy....
We hit the fishing spot around 7am. Running 2 chovies, and an AP spoon down the middle on the 3rd rod. Ironically, as luck would have it, the AP spoon gets the first hit, and the rod is grabbed by.....yup, AP!
A little time passed, then a double header. Dave S on 1 rod, my boy on the other...then a few singles, then another double header again. All in all, we got 13 hits, a few long line releases, had 9 springs to or near the boat, and 6 boated.
My boy had such an awesome time, and he really enjoyed chatting with Roy. He wants to be a guide one day, so spending the better part of a morning with a real guide was awesome for him. He's only 9, but when we dropped AP and Dave off, he was talking pretty highly of Roy!
I had a great time fishing with Dave and Andrew as well, both great guys and good fisherman.
I see why Roy gets the reviews he does, we were talking about this the whole way home. Well worth the trip, we were all super happy. If anyone is thinking about a charter to hone up some skills, this is the guy you want.
Wicked boat too! Love the sound of that motor..

Quote of the day....'hey, come take a look at this anchovy in the water....it's the last time you'll see it'!
Love it!

The pink was a nice one for sure. I think it hit a naked AP Herring spoon at 39'. It was launching outta the water at the back of the boat. Forget who brought it in.

It it should be mentioned that the from all the radio chatter and Roy's network of guides, the Blue Wolf was easily doing the best out there. We were away from the pack and it paid off.

heres a few more photos from our day.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,387
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,383
So this is a late report for last Tuesday, but what a great day on the water. The weather was excellent with only a light breeze which let us cruise all the way out alongside a pod of dolphins to just past Sherringham to start our fishing. Used anchovy and a bloody nose teaser head and like most reports stayed between 35-65 ft. Line wasn't in the water 15 min before we hooked up a nice 12Lb Spring. Was a great fight and I was amazed to see 2 more springs chasing along side my catch right under the boat. As we cleared the area a pod of Orcas came in and the fishing quickly died down so we spent the next 3 hours trolling our way back towards Sooke. When we were about a mile away from the Orcas, things picked up again with a pink about every 20-30 minutes. Bait balls were in the usual spots off Otter, Muir and Trap between 50 and 150ft. In total we brought 6 more in the boat and one got off right at the boat. All about 7-8lbs. Let them all go except for the big pink and the spring which made it to the BBQ for supper. I love fishing off Sooke and hope to get at least one more trip down there soon.

went out from 6:30 to 11 near possession. Had our first hit within 5 minutes, did not stick. For the first 2 hours the fishing was great. Had 6 descent springs on but only managed in the end 2, a 14 and a 19 lber. Great day but super foggy after about 8:30. Not a single pink or coho.

Wow, good report misty.. Very foggy today. We headed out to Otter. Had a hit within 5 minutes also, on the AP spoon, but it didn't stick...then we went a few hours before our next hit, and that one stuck. A nice 20 pounder..we were happy with that.

First report in a long time! Left the ramp around 930am, into the fog. First hit 5 mins in, 50ft in 110ft, on spoon, somewhere harbourmouth towards possession. 18lb spring. No bites for a while after that, then non stop pinks off the harbourmouth, 100-120ft. Caught them from 20-110ft, hootchies, spoons, bait. 1 nice sockeye throwback. Fun morning.

Back at dock 1230....line up of about 8 boats to get out, plus some putting in....we paid the extra $10 to get out quick at Jock's.

Picked up 1 spring (No pinks around) around 9 near the Head and then it slowed down. Headed into the bay around noon and hooked into 5 springs and piles of pinks in 60 minutes. All springs were in the teens. Great day except for the fog.

Long 6-2 shift today started at trap no real hits for first 6 hours, last 2 hours - 7 springs on when fog burt off - way home to Becher ended with a 16+10 and grilling up a beauty fillet as we speak! Saw a 30+ at the meat hole, and same guy managed another in twenties within a couple hours!

Great day today. 7:30-1:00
9 springs on. 5 in the box. 2 double headers.
All in the teens.
Both of my kids 9 and almost 6, brought in their first springs over 10lbs.
Played them like champs!

Awesome bite came on at about noon just after a bunch of boats left. (Jarod lol)

Calm day, great fishing. Good times.

Tips

Great day today. 7:30-1:00
9 springs on. 5 in the box. 2 double headers.
All in the teens.
Both of my kids 9 and almost 6, brought in their first springs over 10lbs.
Played them like champs!

Awesome bite came on at about noon just after a bunch of boats left. (Jarod lol)

Calm day, great fishing. Good times.

Tips

I figured that would happen. Had to get home early that's why a zipped by you lol...We were south of you..Had three on. Put one in the box low teen...Weird though..I started picking up fish deep again. Was slow at the surface...Went down to 140 feet and that's where they were. This one had its battle scars as well. ATTACH=CONFIG]19687[/ATTACH].. Another one probably in 20's had big gashes out as well we lost. Maybe they dove deep to avoid predators.... Holy fog today this the day radar would have been a good thing.....very thick out there.

20150816_130925.jpg

Good day.

Awesome fogust morning, took a couple buddies out an dropped the gear off the bluffs at 730 , no sooner sat down and the action was non stop till 10am. 4 in the boat, released 3 and lost 3. 40-80' and best of all NO PINKS20150816_113152 (458x640).jpg

Wife and I headed out from Cheanuh at 9:30am this morning, she didn't want to get up too early, about the end of the ebb things turned on and we had a great morning! Four nice Springs in the box by 1:30pm including a double header.

She's very much a novice fisher woman but I told her to hang on to hers as long as she could, biggest of the day and her life for that matter. I netted my own 15 pounder as fast as I could and then we brought hers in, what a fantastic day for her, she was pretty excited!!

All on anchovies between 49 & 59 feet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 626
The kids and I (20 and 17 not really kids) decided to head out and get ready around 10 am, by the time we got the boat ready and packed up and headed out to Jocks Dock to launch. Trucks lined up on the road for a good kilometre long, thought oh well, hopefully Jocks Dock lot isn't full. it wasn't, but the tide hadn't come in enough to launch so off we went next door to the community ramp. launched and was able to park right in the lot.

A few boats were making their way back in from the dense fog, and thought it might be a long ride to the fishing grounds. Off to Otter we headed. about 1/2 way out (flats) the fog was starting to lift, which was good, hard to see the boats on their way back from fishing.

Started about 1 pm slow to start off with then the bite started to happen around 2, good bite for 1-1/2hrs, lost a big one, then with-in 1/2 hour, three nice hits, landed a 18, lost another and then landed a 16. managed to grab a 3 pinks and 1 hatchery into the boat as well. pink and coho came as a double hitter. Really good bite between the point and the second. 80-90 feet down at 54'-77' with betsy and bloody nose & super betsy and chrome green.

Good to see others getting lots of fish as well. couple big sea lions in the area, but they didn't seem to be stealing anything, heard the whales we went through at about 5:15, just after we had left.

Back