sooke

Took boat to Otter Point site yesterday there for the summer now and then went fishing up towards Shearingham and then back to Muir Creek , one of the older chaps in the Co-Op picked up a 31 lber, 2 days ago in that vicinity and there are some nice high teens and low 20's showing.
Caught two and lost two , 55ft depth- Candy Man flasher and red Super Strip Teaser, leader tied to 78 ins, 14lbs and 17 1/2 lbs, both hit on the inside turn line , tried slowing the speed and shortening the leaders .....nada....back to dimensions as before and had two more hits on the same line following the same geometry.
Was in about 160- 175 ft of water and in between Shearingham and Muir Creek.
Saw a couple of other boats bring in fish.
A bit wet and wind fitful then gusty later on in the day.

AL

Alley Cat, how much shorter did you go before going back to 78 inches. Curious how much different was too much different today for you.

Went back to 62 ins first time then back to 55 ins.
Zip , nothing , vaya con dios etc.
Also kept the same speed up to keep a constant in the equation(2.9 mph GPS across the set of the tide at all times)
Stayed with the bait yesterday but tomorrow will go back down and am going to work hootchies and spoons with added speed and heavier leader with shorter lengths.
Will post what happens when I come home on Sunday.

AL

AC. Are you running single hooks on yer spoons. Good luck, not that you need it with so much hard work out there changing up to find the right look. I think I learned something here.

Surprised to hear alley cat's report. On the weekend I trolled from Sheringham to Otter and saw absolutely nothing until I hit Otter. Picked up a small 12lb'r and heard news of a good bite at the Trap Shack. I ran to Secretary, dropped the gear and picked up a 24lb'r!!! I don't know why I wasted all that gas in the morning. [xx(] I should have just stayed at Secretary! The fish always seem to hold there - it's just a matter of time until the bite comes on! Patience!

Yes I run single hooks on the spoons, I change them to "siwash " hooks as they are my personal preference and have worked well for me over the years.
Heading down to the campsite tonight and will fish tomorrow and Saturday then home , getting the skirting installed on my trailer right now so will be back and forth like a fart in a windstorm for a couple of weeks.

AL

Anybody get out this weekend? I had a houseful of visitors so I couldn't wet a line.
T2

nothing doing at Oak Bay, we released one undersize fish
in 4 hours of trolling on the flats....
fishing various dephs with anchovie,hootchies and spoons
We did see another boat bag a fish though

Went out for a few hours today off the Trap! Got into some pleasantly surprising double header action, 23#,17# in the box. Saw another decent one come in.

Screen was showing lots of fish but 0 for bait. Bellys of both Springs were full of Krill, no herring???

Way to go maddog, might have to try a teaser head with some red in it.

My maiden voyage for the spring/summer is this Saturday so game on!!

If the springs are keying in on krill, I wonder if using the coho spoons we used to use commercially for early coho would be effective....hmmm, might have to root around in the basement and dig out a few. Sounds like good fishing, Maddog. I'm going to join you soon at Cheanuh.
T2

Fished for 4 hours or so at Beechy and the trap....landed a 20 lber while stopping for a couple of passes at Church...on the way back to Pedder. Middle rod on a squirt at 71 feet.

Chow

Tue eve, calm seas, 3hrs, nothing
Wed eve, s wester blew up when I got out, i hour later pulled up the lines, too misherable, BUT had fish showing in great numbers all around Possession, Secretary. At the dock one boat had a 20-25.
Tonight dosent look much better.
Today, Coho open, hatchery. Any one seen/heard of Coho down here yet?
Early I think.

If you don't mind rain, it would have been nice on the water
today..... no wind for a change
anybody get out today ?[?]

Back