Sooke sept 18 th t0 20th

opto55

Heading to Sooke Sept 18, 19 20th. What salmon are targeted then? I need recommendations on a guide as well.
Thanks.

Heading to Sooke Sept 18, 19 20th. What salmon are targeted then? I need recommendations on a guide as well.
Thanks.

Mostly you will be getting Coho at that time. The good news is that the big northern type Coho (10 to 20 lbs) are coming through in some numbers by then and hopefully DFO will let us keep an unclipped one in Sept. again.

There will still be the possibility of a larger transiting (often gold) Chinook passing through or heading for the Sooke River but not many and the last few years we are getting more of the smaller resident and hatchery Chinook in the fall using winter Chinook fishing methods.

Mixed in with the Coho will be the very occasional Chum (great fighters and more of them in Oct) especially if you keep the boat speed down from the usual warp 9 Coho fishing speed. Given the very large number of Pinks in the run this year there may also be a few Pink stragglers.

There are a number of very experienced competent guides in Sooke and any of the well known ones who have been fishing the area for years will get you into Salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
go with blue wolf charters. (bluewolfcharters.com) Roy is great AND will get you on the fish. we went with him in october and caught over 30 coho and lost a spring. (first spring for me)

Back