Sooke River Estuary- Chum salmon fishing timing

Funny I fished that system for years. From what i found, no matter what we chucked at them at Billings, we could never get them fair hooked. But above the bridge it was quite easy to hook them in the mouth, if fact have seen many chase the fly down and take it. I do believe most of the fish at billings are foul hooked and half the people down there are trying there dambest to snag them. A chum is not going to kill its self chasing a buzzbomb period.

:eek: It's a shame that the province can't afford more conservation officers so that they could be out there catching these guys consistently. If only vigilante justice had no consequences.
It's actually a Federal jurisdiction, (DFO not the provincial C/O's) on the Spit and in past years I have seen them down there checking things out. But it's been a while since I've been there, it's too disgusting, I can't handle it.

The cowboy hat guy told me one time about how a piece of pencil lead with a tuft of green wool and a LARGE triple hook is best for "bait".

It's actually a Federal jurisdiction, (DFO not the provincial C/O's) on the Spit and in past years I have seen them down there checking things out. But it's been a while since I've been there, it's too disgusting, I can't handle it.

The cowboy hat guy told me one time about how a piece of pencil lead with a tuft of green wool and a LARGE triple hook is best for "bait".

Ahh yes, I forgot that salt water is not the province's jurisdiction. Sounds like everyone can't stand being down at the spit. I was pretty much alone down there on the weekend except for those two flyfisherman, so I guess I'm lucky to not have witnessed this for myself.

And just to be clear, it's the large treble hook that's the disgusting part right? Or is the pencil lead and the green wool parts a no-no as well? Sorry I'm such a rookie. :(

I don't want to end up being a discussion topic on this board. So the more questions I ask now, the less chance of that happening.

I'm going out again this weekend, gonna try closer immediately below the bridge. I'll bring my fly rod, but to be honest, I'm an even bigger rookie with that thing so I'll still be bringing my spinning rod still cuz I want to land a salmon already! I'm so ashamed to be an islander and never have landed a salmon yet.

Figured id post a few pics of the Sooke River chum I got on the fly this year.

NewboatandFlyfishingsookeriver053.jpg

NewboatandFlyfishingsookeriver079.jpg

We had some amazing days of over 30 fish. And even a few chrome Coho on the days the camera was at home.

-Steve

Figured id post a few pics of the Sooke River chum I got on the fly this year.

NewboatandFlyfishingsookeriver053.jpg

NewboatandFlyfishingsookeriver079.jpg

We had some amazing days of over 30 fish. And even a few chrome Coho on the days the camera was at home.

-Steve

Great pics! That's the thing I miss the very most about moving away from Sooke :(

Back