Sooke Reports - Spring/Summer 09

quote:Originally posted by TheRock

We were out drifting for Halibut Wed. night after work, out of the blue this nice sized salmon jumped clear out of the water ! Looked like a big Coho ! Nice to see, good sign !

Seen some too when we were hali fishing...... looked like sox tho.. doing the side jump, but yes good sign.

That sucker has no spots on the tail...Must be a Coho :p LOL Nice fish, very fresh, musta been one hell of a fight!

Do you know why some springs have lots of spots and others not many at all?

-Steve

Got out for a quick fish yesterday 2-5.Got a 26 at 4 and thats it.Possession at 60 feet.Watched it hit and miss..nothing for 30 seconds.. then smashed it again and stuck.

It was anchovy-guess he was pretty hungry.Actually ive noticed some pretty empty bellies my last few fish.

You ever have a day when everyone is catcing fish around you but you cannot hook on to save your life, that was my Sat, snap!. Fished Possession on Sat. from 6am to 12pm, saw a slow trickle of fish getting caught all morning, saw quite a few caught off Secretary. One guy fishing solo was tubbed out by 7am fishing tight off the west side of Secretary. We had 1 bite at 10am off Possesion and that was it for us. Went back out from 4 to 630pm, zero. Fished more off the harbour mouth, lots of bait boiling, saw Reel Excitment pick up 2, other then that it seemed a lot quieter than the am shift. Sunday was better for us, fished from 6am to 12pm, hooked 1 at 11am off the point of Possesion, 80ft, purple hot spot, purple haze head, 5 ft leader. Next pass hooked another 76ft, Betsey flasher and bloody nose head, 6ft leader. One shook the hooks beside the boat and one was mainlined, F#$% me !!! No I was not on the rods!Lots of fish hitting the table on Sun. but Possesion was not as good as Sat., counted 45 boats Sun. and everyone was spreed out trying to find'em. More fish were coming from between the harbour mouth and Possession on Sun,Bob from 2 Reel had 4 in the boat, lots of bait. Saw a 36lber at the cleaning table which was caught at Otter at 7am, the guys that caught it had one other small one and a bite but said it was not hot and heavy up there, saw very few nets out. Back out soon good luck to all!!

I hear you Luna, saw quite a few fish caught mid morning on Saterday off the Head in the teens, presure cooker was on, marked lots of fish for this time of year. We hit our fish at 78 and 110. 24#, 13# hatch job. Out tommorow for another kick at it.
IMG_0304.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

Well done as usual Tailspin!, heard Shield's is out this morning and has 2 in the 20's in the tub off Chruch, thought he was out with you for sure. When are me, you, and yak(x2) going to hook up for some Lucksters and a boat ride. Ooops, I meant fishing trip? LOL!!

quote:Originally posted by Luna

You ever have a day when everyone is catcing fish around you but you cannot hook on to save your life, that was my Sat,

Sounds like my Sat and Sunday

I had a nice one on at approx 8ish....it was a reel screamer, seen it surface behind the boat.....:D....took another run.....then it spit the hooks:(

hey guys im heading out to sooke tomarrow and just wondering the regs. can you keep wild or hatch coho by secretary? any info would be a helpfull.

Got out Sunday morning just before the tide change.Watched a lot of other boats catching and netting,and then around noon saw the rod tap a couple of times lightly.Grabbed it and set the hook,passed it to my friend "Old Printer".The fish did the head shake,made a good run,then came towards the boat,made another run down and sulked for a bit below the boat,then came up for us.After a minute he tired out and presented himself nicely to my net and it was all good!He weighed in at 24lbs and was a nice start to the year.Great weather and a good time. Got the fish at Trap Shack on Bait.
Hillbilly

dl

Silly question, maybe, but I don't fish down there more than a couple times a year, but where is the "trap shack" or are there any remenants of it still standing as a landmark. Fished out of Cheanuh and west past Whirl Bay but never seen anything that I could identify as the spot.
Thanks

It's the other direction Doug, going west toward Secretary island
the shack is still there about a 1/2 mile from Beechey head.

Back