Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Got into some yesterday at possesion 4 of them then the big blow so thought id giver a go again today WOW WEEDS!!!!!!! had to move so went west and managed to get 3 and lost a few biggest was a GREAT WHITE 1 st of the year topping in at 29.55 on the digatal scale SOOOO close . maybe some big ones yet to come... Wolf

salmon 1.jpgsalmon 2.jpg

Well i fly out of town for 3 weeks tomorrow...today was my last day for fishing for a while, started slow, took some advice from some people on here and went to muir for 0600 rods in the water....unfortuntely for us it seems i picked the wrong spot to go to again, cause over the radio it sounded like posession had a decent bite...no action at muir so ttrolled over to sheringham and atl 930 am picked up a scrappy 18 lber....after a few hourse of trolling around sheringham and being the only boat there we gota radio call from tips up saying there were a few fish over muir way. Headed over that way and unfortunetly didnt get lucky heading that way. We decided to then just troll over to otter and play out the rest of the flood....no more bites....picked up around 3pm and decided to stop at posession as i heard there was fish there first thing....trolled around with a handful of other boats...no bites, started to feel crappy knowing that i wouldnt be able to fish for 3 weeks and missing out on the peak season!!!! Decided to do one last pass on the point which made my season, looked at the rod, and there was a super weak strike...grabbed the rod, popped the clip and set the hook....BIG fish, could tell right away by the weight....passed the rod to my buddy as i promised him the next fish... and it was a freight trane, the rod was starting to heat up in his hands, i grabbed the kicker tiller but it in nuetral and looked over to see my other rod was popping in place, No way! Double header!!!! after getting untangled from my downrigger and working it around my buddy i managed to net it myself and get the 16lber in the boat! His took a while to tire out, ended up getting it in the net after an epic battle and perfect end to a long day of fishing! Overall we ended up with a 18, 16, and a scrappy 27lber....epic day, sad to be leaving, hopfully you guys leave me some for sept!!!!pictures to follow!

Sudsy

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried an afternoon shift today started at Secretary for couple hours, nada, so went to Otter around 4pm. Managed one 10lb at around 6pm. Saw a few fish caught between 6-6:30 but otherwise super slow for us. Can't remember ever being able to wear just a t-shirt, shorts and sandals til 8pm on the water without needing a jacket. Beauty nite on the water.

Way to go Suds... Right place, right time

The water was so nice yesterday I passed up on the usual Aldridge to thr Trap and went straight to Possession and couldn't believe the amount of weed in the water, even partially submerged, so when you thought you were out of it, it was still travelling down your lines. It was pretty bad all the way back to the Bedfords and when I went to leave, my batteries were dead from pulling up the downriggers so much and had to come in via the kicker. To top it off all I managed was a couple of small spring which were sent back on there way. My diet consists of mainly salads and salmon, but that was way too much salad.:D

Nice going Sudsy. You have beaten me to some decent fish by a long way. One of the secrets in your post is patience! By my calculation from your times posted you must have been out there close to 10 hours!! So, I'll give that a go today or tomorrow. Why not with the weather like this, at least I will catch a sun tan......LOL:D

Great work Sudsy!
Yes, soft strikes. Don't assume a fish that doesn't pop the pin is small. 2 fish that we lost yesterday were real light hits but real good fish.
The other hit right after I popped it off the clip to check the bait. Hit right in my hands. Love that.

Back at it tomorrow.

Tips

Morning fish, 6-8 at Muir. One bite right away, looked to be about 20 pounds or so, lost it at the boat....ugh. And that was the only bite. Silver betsy, chrome army truck head, 90 feet in 120 feet. Saw Tailspin get a nice one and one guy in a small lund, who also lost his at the boat. Beauty morning, despite walk of shame.

This is the time of year for a higher percentage of non-hook ups. Fish not aggressively feeding, instead a territorial strike. If they aren't coming off the rigger don't pop them off...the hook isn't buried yet. Instead hammer the kicker throttle and or turn on the rigger to set the hook...they will pull themselves off the rigger when they feel themselves being dragged.

This is the time of year for a higher percentage of non-hook ups. Fish not aggressively feeding, instead a territorial strike. If they aren't coming off the rigger don't pop them off...the hook isn't buried yet. Instead hammer the kicker throttle and or turn on the rigger to set the hook...they will pull themselves off the rigger when they feel themselves being dragged.

Did that accidently this year, in 70 ft of water , rigger at 80 and the rigger started to bounce thought I was on bottom, so started to bring up the rigger, after about three seconds the Rod went balistic,hell of a hookset, it was not coming off :) Driller ps alot of black fins out there this Morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this in it's own thread but it's quickly getting buried...

"Been launching out of Sunny Shores so far this year, avoiding Jock's Dock ramp due to the low tides most mornings.
Anyone launched the new public dock the last few days? Too shallow? or OK?
Launching tomorrow and would like to avoid the extra run from Sunny Shores if I can."

Thanks
Tips

Thinking of heading over and fishing out of pedder bay this weekend. What's everyone been using as far as tackle? Chovies? Spoons? Leader lengths, depths time of day.

Was thinking of concentrating on Whirl Bay and Church rock, maybe even running up to Trap Shack if the water is calm enough.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I have launched my trophy all season at the public launch, even on the lowest tide i havent had a problem launching or retrieving....gets a little shallow on super low tides but with the wooden dock you can pull it along all the way out, no big deal! And its free!!! For now atleast......

Nice going Sudsy. You have beaten me to some decent fish by a long way. One of the secrets in your post is patience! By my calculation from your times posted you must have been out there close to 10 hours!! So, I'll give that a go today or tomorrow. Why not with the weather like this, at least I will catch a sun tan......LOL:D

Your math is right, put a solid 10 hrs of fishing, definetly had to work for them!!! In the end so worth it, couldnt wipe the grin off my face today, hopfully these next 3 weeks fly by cause all i can think about is getting back out there!!! Good luck, and thanks everyone who has helped with tips tricks etc throughout the year so far!!!!

Out at 8.00 am fishing Possession 53 ft glow head red hot spot . 10.15 am fish on 19.8 lbs only hit fished till 12.00 only seen 2 others netted.
yes 2X on the salad in the water had to work the lines hard. Great wale show .

You didnt see me there then with my 3 we got I saw way more than that being caught but your right WEEDS are very bad, hearing there is fish all over just have to be there at the right time and place .

wolf

Put in a Marathon today. Fished from 10:00am till 8:00pm. Trolled for three and a half hours at Muir, but NADA. Picked up and came back to Secretary/Possession for the late afternoon and evening. NADA. Not a touch on anything for the entire 10 hours. Anchovies never scratched. Saw one fish caught all day. Today’s unsuccessful gear was green/glo and purple haze teasers (bullet roll) and purple/gold teaser (JDF) with green/gold betsy and purple haze UV flashers. All fished from 50 to 120 feet at various times and places. May as well post what is not working as well as what does (which for me when targeting the summer chinooks is pretty rare!!) LOL:D:D

Back