Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

With all the tones of condescension I guess I"ll just keep that one to myself.

IHadFunOnce.jpg

:D

Quick question.... Do you think there are any springs(red or white) over 20 pounds left to catch out there or do you think they have all moved on?

i dont post often but troll around....lipripper....i have to admit I laughed loud enough at work that people came by to see.....thanks!

There will be a few big springs to catch into October sea ranger. Just need to go fishing and get lucky.

YES there is some springs still out wont be long now though im thinking as soon as rain hits they will be gone these are from the last 2 days maybe someone on here can tell me where there from both whites a 22 and a 27.4 lbs one buck one doe as I dont have a clue. Im not a jedi knight yet LOL LOL

Thanks in advance Wolf

Lippy make em big please Thanks again

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2012 116.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 116.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 265
  • SOOKE SALMON 2012 120.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 120.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question.... Do you think there are any springs(red or white) over 20 pounds left to catch out there or do you think they have all moved on?

My biggest white Chinook to date was in Sooke, near the end of Oct., 5 years back, it was an unusually dry fall. To set the stage, it was taken near Beachy Head; 110’ in 120’ water, 3.5” green/white Coyote spoon & red hot spot. It hit the scales estimated 43 - 45lbs, it was a Caucasian hatchery male, to be politically correct :D .. The fish was still fairly silver considering the time of year and the fish’s advanced maturity.
Unfortunately I never discovered the fish’s origin, the crew member that landed it was also in trusted to send in the head :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can we get a better picture of the hair doo pls :D

I caught a 45 on the 5th of October a few years back off the bluffs. Fishing strip for Coho at 60ft. It was white. Also a couple of 38's in late September both off the tin shed in deeper water. One got around the geaar of a boat that wouldn't stay away...guess he thought we had a coho...he just kept going even with us yelling at him to stop. I finally caught up to him and the fish surfaced right behind his boat. He finally stopped when he saw it and said nothing as I chopped his gear away with a knife so we could land it.

Trolled possession for springs for an hour, 9am, 1 small one. Then from there to Otter, in 200-400 feet. Caught 6 or 7 wild coho, all 6-10 pounds or so. Had a couple action moments, but mostly spread out. Not gangbusters insane coho action where we were. Quite a few boats out deep ... maybe better out there?

Started at the crack o nine, fished from Trailerpark to way out west and back, three Jacks about 8Lbs, all dark, couple of Cohos, slower than Tuesday, Good Day Driller

Started at the crack o nine, fished from Trailerpark to way out west and back, three Jacks about 8Lbs, all dark, couple of Cohos, slower than Tuesday, Good Day Driller
Driller,
Wot, no 20 something pounder this time!! Your technique must be slipping.:D

Jus jokin' cos I'm jealous really. ;)

Me, I'm waitin' for the winters.....I save a LOT of gas that way....LOL:D

English, I am Blessed with a moored Boat an understanding Wife and some convenient unemployment:), time on the water equals more Fish... Driller

Out from 2-530, got a scrappy 18lber tigh tack on the west side of secretary, couple released wild cohos, and couple missed strikes...beautty day on the water this afternoon!

UNDERSTANDING WIFE is the key. I am blessed with that also...

Especially for you... Hope the peanut is doing well :)

Next weekend for me. Need some yoyos for some eating meat

Spent the day out off sooke yesterday and got into a few fish. Nothing of any size but enough action to make it worthwhile. Water was calm and the sun was shining so I can't complain about anything!

I was alone so I had time and decided to log all the action I had. Here's how it played out for me.

7:15 AM launch from Pedder Bay.

8:45AM Trap Shack, undersized spring at 67ft. Pink haze flasher with white glow hootchie.

9:15AM Off Beechy in tidelines, spring around 5lbs. Green glow flasher, anchovie in army truck teaser head. 90ft'

11:00AM Secretary Island, hatchery spring around 7lbs. Green glow flasher and Anchovy at 90ft.

11:55AM West of Trap Shack in close to shore, 7lbs coho at the surface. Red hot spot flasher with anchovy.

1:40PM trap shack. 7lbs coho at 71ft. Green glow flasher with anchovie.

2:20pm Beechy Head, 1/2 mile out, double header of coho. One at 71ft One at 40ft. Anchovies.

3:15 Back at the dock.

Pounded the beach out west this morning for springs. Landed about ten coho and kept 3 hatchery. Then right at the last bell at 2pm at Otter a 22 pound fairly dark buck. Hoping for a bunch more sunny, hot and flat days like today was.

Fished out of the yak from 3-6pm for 2 wild coho at Otter. Shorts and t shirt weather--great afternoon!
T2

Sorry Dbl R....

Which river was it from? :D;)

Do you have a pic of the hair style?

Late report today. Started from Whirl Bay 8 am tons of bait , birds, seals, sea lions, and a few that I'm sure were otters. Nothing happened there but saw an incredible bait show on the surface. Headed out to deeper water for coho 345 to 545 ft nailed 3 hatch from 5 to 12 lbs in short order. Next 3 hrs 9 fish on nothing but wilds. WTF is wrong with this fisher when we could have had our 4 fish limit at 10 am but have to continue culling and releasing the wild in search of our 4th hatcher. BTW we did also catch a great whale show at the gravel pit while pulling out crab traps(nothing but females) Whale show continued there show right through Esq Lagoon. No respect given from the many Whale watching boats following them.

Back