Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Its been many years since I've caught a chum. thanks for pointing out they have dark gums. (not black). If I was to have a hard time telling what kind of salmon I caught it would have to be a chum but really only between a chum and a coho. All other salmon look very different from each other. and since this is the fishing report thread.... was out last Sunday, took a boat ride to Muir Creek and was trolling at 65 ft in 120 to 140 feet of water managed one 14+ and one 19 3/4 pounds. was out before sun up but didn't catch first one till about 10 and the next one was closer to noon. Both fish came in on a green and glow head(with added gold scales) on a gold Betsy.

Went out today, 3 hatchery and 1 teener spring, beautty day on the water, lotsa wild cohos, good to get back on the water especially with the calm sunny day!!!!

Here is a beauty 20lb Chum I picked up last year when Coho fishing in JDF. 100' in 500' straight out from Sooke harbour. This fish took the hardest and fastest run of any Salmon I've ever had on the line.

Attachments

• Chum1.jpg
    Chum1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 184
Out today from 6.30-1.00, started at Otter several Wild Hos and then one Rod went Crazy, Fish took half of my line, twenty minute fight and boated a 27.5Lbs. white Buck. 77ft in 90Ft of water, Bloody Nose , red Glow Flasher. Lotsa action the rest of the day. Mainly Wild Cohos , one Pink and one small Chum.Lotsa Weed around out there and Sealions. Its not over yet... Good Day Driller

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:
just back from Bamtown , we landed a 22lb chromer chum , yes 22 ,,,,hooked on a purple haze needle at 22 feet , omg , this thing almost spooled us , what a bulldog , see if i have a pic , right in front of Bradsy`s...see what its like in the smoker i guess..,.beauty lookin fish for sure , yes , long mouth , with a ball hook like white upper mouth, can kinda look like a northern coho i guess ,

fd

Good Times! That was a good show, was quite shocked to see him go in.
I thought I was getting closer to the fish when I fish from my kayak but i can see there are levels of craziness that I haven't attained yet!
T2

Mondays's chum

Dropped the kids off in sooke for a class and fished Billings spit for half an hour. Caught and released this 15 lb chum. Lots of coho and chum jumping already there. Probably heading out for coho this weekend, what is the ratio of wild to hatchery?

Attachments

• chum.jpg
    chum.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 196
Out this afternoon from noon till 4pm. A 20 pound Harrison White, a 9 pound Coho and a 5 pound feeder. Released a couple wild Coho...Otter point in some nasty SE wind and opposing flood. Steep wash machine waves off the point.

What an awsome day east wind with a flood with an open bow boat manged 2 spring in the 10 to 12 range one white fight of the day and two hatchery church rock 73 feet green glow coyte spoon fun!!

Just wondering how you can look at a fish and determine which river there from?? do you have a special DNA/CSI kit on your boat???? just curious thats all??Cause I want one or tell us how you can tell
As i got some big whites on the end of aug and it would be cool to know which river there were from??
Thanks in advance

Just wondering how you can look at a fish and determine which river there from?? do you have a special DNA/CSI kit on your boat???? just curious thats all??Cause I want one or tell us how you can tell
As i got some big whites on the end of aug and it would be cool to know which river there were from??
Thanks in advance

Lol...i usually can tell by licking the inside of the tail....give it a try, works for me!!!

Nah Sudsy--I don't like the taste. The Harrison fish have an acidic slime--try rubbing the tail on your head--if it burns a bit--it's a Harrison. Caution tho--it takes a bit of hair with it. Those of you who know me can tell I've caught lots of Harrison fish!
T2

I have to admit that I'm impressed that you can identify what system a fish comes from by looking at it Rollie. I've caught a few in my days and wouldn't have a clue on where it came from. I remember sending in a hatchery spring head only to find out it came from the cowichan river. I felt guilty for killing it. If you can tell me where to find the name tag or how to ask the fish where he/she is from before I bonk it I would appreciate it. I'm wondering if there's a method to find out if a coho is a hatch but not clipped too? That would sure save me a lot of time out there. Thanks in advance.

It's the hair doo.... That's how you tell.

If it looks like this....

images

Then you got yourself a Harrison

As I understand it, most of the White Chinook coming through JDF are Harrison Fish. But not all White Chinook are Harrison Fish. Therefore the assumption that the fish was most likely a Harrison Fish is not unreasonable.

Back