Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

alright, breaking this trend with a REPORT....even though it is old news(2 days). I was out at Otter Point for some solo fishing in the crowd on Monday. I tried east of the point and a couple passes along but couldn't find a spring from 10-12, then decided to try a little bit further west and a little deeper after getting a tip off from a buddy. Well, they weren't big springs, but sure found a school(s) of Coho! It was non stop action for the next hour with 3 double headers, 8 fish brought to the boat, 6 wilds released and 2 hatchery in the cooler! I haven't had that kind of action since last year's pink run. As I was packing it in, floating and put away the gear, there was a school of about 30-50 salmon going crazy on the surface. It was right where I was finding the Coho(all the way from 50-115' on the DR) but I am assuming that these were Sockeye....thoughts?? Well, I didn't bring home a big spring that day, but sure happy with the action and the coho for the BBQ!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK ill bite as well was out today with a group from TO and they had a blastt got 4 springs all teeners but was a awesome morning got them fro 50 to 90 ft all rods all different set ups were working. was west but heard possesion was good as well seems there are fish everywhere again, almost felt like summer today....

wolf

OK ill bite as well was out today with a group from TO and they had a blastt got 4 springs all teeners but was a awesome morning got them fro 50 to 90 ft all rods all different set ups were working. was west but heard possesion was good as well seems there are fish everywhere again, almost felt like summer today....

wolf

Thanks for the report, going to head out tonight, heading to otter for the nite bite, il post back later on.

Hey Sudsy,

Were you a CR guide? Also, good info on this post guys, a big help to newcomers, thanks

Thanks for the report, going to head out tonight, heading to otter for the nite bite, il post back later on.

Just got my first boat and will be salmon catching sooke/victoria way and am very glad to hear there is a evening bite!!! Am going to try and get out everynight after work!! woot!

Just got my first boat and will be salmon catching sooke/victoria way and am very glad to hear there is a evening bite!!! Am going to try and get out everynight after work!! woot!

Headed out tonight, didnt make it out to otter stopped and played around at posession, the wind was up and kinda sloppy past the bluffs so decided nit to pound it out to otter. Nothing to report at posession, maybe 12 boats out there, didnt see any hookups, no bites for me...

Got out today and it was a great day for Chinook. Must have had 12 on all in the 8 to 15 lb class and one unclipped Coho. It is almost like fishing Pinks. We lost a few, released a bunch and kept 3 Chinook, two of which were clipped; leaving room for the elusive 40 lber that never came. I think that almost all of these are US Hatchery Chinook and there seems to be more around than usual.

Fished Otter, Muir and well passed Sheringham.

Waved to you Wolf from my friends little Double Eagle (white with blue soft top) just east of Otter. At one point we were catching several right at Otter in the strong rip currents really deep although with a lot of blow back who knows the actual depth. We were getting them down 175’ on the rigger with a 14 lb pancake ball.

Caught most on a green glow chovie head with a Chartreuse flasher with glow tape on one side and silver on the other. A glow hootchie was also working well down deep.

Fished from the Island to the Shack and had 2 small ones this morning and than 1 about 18 and lost 1 about 20-25 right at the boat this afternoon. Rookie on the rod and pinned it tight when the fish saw the net and turned and burned. Snap, and it was gone. Beautiful day out there though.

Yes saw you Rockfish ... took me a sec to recognize youthen poof you were gone LOL LOL
im back out again all week keep you all updated...

wolf

I'm jealous of the guys heading out today.... Looked beautiful off Secretary on the way to work :(

WELL lippy you wouldnt have liked it it was too calm out there!!! beauty day gaain got some nice fish for my clients same as yesterday but .......... THE COHO came in hard today wow attack alert they were everywhere was VERY cool to see had a lot of fun with them and thank god all were lip hooked and easily let go......

Chat soon

Wolf

Quickfish from 12.00 to 2.30 , out west action city. Hoes ,Sockeye and small springs, released one nice and one LARGE,fished at 70-80... old Skool. left the bait in the Freezer Good Day Driller :) P.s alot of Lumber floating around out there, one nasty deadhead floated by ... be aware

Quickfish from 12.00 to 2.30 , out west action city. Hoes ,Sockeye and small springs, released one nice and one LARGE,fished at 70-80... old Skool. left the bait in the Freezer Good Day Driller :) P.s alot of Lumber floating around out there, one nasty deadhead floated by ... be aware

Unrealted to reports and further east, yesterday one of the whale watchng boats with twin 200 Mercs is now a single 200 Merc due to a deadhead. Literally ripped the whole outboard right off the grid. Watch it Boys!!

Beauty day out there today but slow for us at Otter & Muir during the afternoon flood. Only managed 1 coho released and kept 1 slot size spring for dinner.

Out last night from 3 to 7 to fish the high slack. We picked up 3 unders and released a couple on coho. Lots of crap in the water.of the island. When I came out around the spit, it looked like some one pushed a couple of logs off the beach and they drifting around at the end of the spit. Keep a eye on the wood out there. :eek:

Lots of action for us yesterday from about mid -ebb to low slack. We didn't get our gear wet until about 6:20 and when I asked if we missed anything early...we had. A couple of boats were done already and had gone in. We fished until 3pm but didn't see a whole lot going on at Otter at that time and we had to get the guys back to catch a ferry. Apparently the night before the 6pm Twass ferry was about 1/3 full....very few tourists visiting us again this year.

Another good day today and ill start a post on something that happend in sooke today as soon as I get a pic up....

Wolf

Sounds like the ramp was a little tied up

548495_379684998765336_1061165119_n.jpg

That's gotta suck.... nobody hurt at least. That ramp can get slick

I had heard that parking was bad at that ramp.LOL

Back