Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished the Island Farms derby yesterday. There were 135 entrants and 68 fish weighed in, a record for the derby. Winning fish came in at 29#. Great day on the water !!

I didn't know about the derby. What a **** show at the cheanah dock at 2pm. Guys pulled their boats out and stopped at the top of the ramp to do their tie downs blocking the trucks with trailers from getting down to the ramp. Then the trucks with trailers were log jammed on the road out of there so the boats who just pulled out and stopped had nowhere to go.

Also there was a 20ft canoe tied to the docks at the ramp and the docks were full so guys had to idle out there while waiting for a spot. Move the damn canoe when it's busy!

Nice to see they have new docks though. I did not check to see if he huge hole on the boat ramp has been repaired. Does anyone know? It was about half way down on the side with the fish cleaning stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip tide try a dummy flasher then three feet up use your clip then use 5 to 6 foot leader ,it works fine ,the flasher in on 6 to 8 leader . Now you can net better by yourself Goodluck boomer

Well.... I had a pretty tough time on Sunday out from 6-130....A big fat zero for me...... I am surprised to here how good it was, and had a few snap around me in little waves. Just did not love my boat? Talked to creel guy at sooke harbour at 2pm and he said there were a total of 16-20 springs reported in at 50%trap shack and 50%otter that's it...... I assume most were at Cheanuh......

Nice to see fish out there.....

High Five

dont feel bad, i was out friday and all day saturday without a hit, got into them on sunday at otter point....some days they just dont seem to want to hit your boat, and others you can't keep them off your line....

It was a good Thru, Fri, and Sunday for me. In a total of 20 hours of fishing with three different groups, we had 16 fish on and landed 9, The biggest was 30 lb and smallest was 12 lb.

I saw the creel guy on Sunday and he took samples of the 30 and 19 we had but he didn't have much to say because we where the one of the first boats in.

I also saw that 5 other charter boats came in at noon with a total of 16+ fish (all teenagers) and the creel guy missed recording all of them.

Sunday was the slowest day with no hits from 6 to 10, then three fish on in an hour and at 11 we went in. You just have to be in the right spot at the right time. Stick and stay and make it pay.

I didn't know about the derby. What a **** show at the cheanah dock at 2pm. Guys pulled their boats out and stopped at the top of the ramp to do their tie downs blocking the trucks with trailers from getting down to the ramp. Then the trucks with trailers were log jammed on the road out of there so the boats who just pulled out and stopped had nowhere to go.

Also there was a 20ft canoe tied to the docks at the ramp and the docks were full so guys had to idle out there while waiting for a spot. Move the damn canoe when it's busy!

Nice to see they have new docks though. I did not check to see if he huge hole on the boat ramp has been repaired. Does anyone know? It was about half way down on the side with the fish cleaning stations.

You forgot to mention the boats who fly into the marina, they have little or no regard for their wake. Try working on a moored boat or worse yet loosing your favorite spilled bevy :mad:

P.S what new docks? oh you mean the ones tied behind the gas dock :confused:

It's usually not busy enough for the canoe to be in the way. It was my bad timing coming in right as the weigh in time was approaching.

Anyone thinking about hali fishing up west around JR..the dogfish are really bad...doubles on the same rod. Basically put a rod down, bring the other up....get it half way up and the one down already has a doggie..repeat, repeat. Gave up after 3 hours.

I'm a fisherman not a con artist. ;)

as an easterner ie ontario ive asked some dogfish ?s before and didnt catch one on my one and only trip to the west island ....pretty much my last question...i understand not a lot of people value them as food fish compaired to salmonids but do they at least put up a decent fight. cant believe i didnt as that before....thanks in advance and everyone have a safe and fun fishing summer
wicket

pls excuse my use of the word salmonid ...i know its a very dirty word but i have a tech diploma in aquaculture ( only worked land based). Old habits die hard.....now for 18 yrs ive been an even dirtier word....yah im a public works employee

Anyone thinking about hali fishing up west around JR..the dogfish are really bad...doubles on the same rod. Basically put a rod down, bring the other up....get it half way up and the one down already has a doggie..repeat, repeat. Gave up after 3 hours.

Not sure whether telling the truth or keeping others out of honey hole

Maybe a marketing problem? "west coast shark fishing, non-stop action all day! Double, triple headers!"
How much fun does that sound to someone from elsewhere? ;-)

Sorry to hijack but this reminds me of when i was young and went up to April Point. We ended up fishing off the docks near the cleaning station and got big dogfish after big dogfish. Eventually guests were coming up and asking us to charter them off the dock for dogfish! To this day a lot of the people who i take out fishing that aren't fisherman get more pumped over a dogfish than a salmon.

Try using dogfish for bait it worked for me when a hallys around the dogs leave then put on your favorite bait I have caught hallys on dogfish

The customers wanted to quit after 2 hours of up and down from 200 feet to shake them off. (they were all small doggies) I stayed an extra hour to use up the bait I had thawed out for the outing. So when the customers aren't having fun it should answer your question...do they fight? They already had a full day of salmon fishing the day before to compare and were also fishing the next day as well. They weren't interested in wasting any time trying for hali again on the 3rd day and we fished salmon. They got their 8 springs and lost 4 or 5 on the last day. (up to 30 pounds) I don't know any reputable and successful guide who takes paying customers on a dogfish charter...sorry just being honest. My 26 years in the business is dependant on people coming back if not every year, at least often. Dogfish won't cut it. If DFO keeps it up I guess it may one day come to that, hopefully my fishing days will be done by then.

Back