Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Was supposed to go out with a buddy this morning and he never showed up so I decided to go out myself rather then going back to bed. Got to the trap at about 5:30 and instantly had about an 8 pounder on which I threw back to live another day. Then at about 730 I get a good fish on and start playing it when all of a sudden the other rod pops off the clip. So I set the hook good on the one I thought was smaller and keep playing the other fish. Of course both fish are doing completely different things and going everywhere but I managed to get the first one in and grab the other rod which is now slack and quickly reel it up to find the other fish was still on. So I got him in the boat as well. The bigger one went about 27 and the other maybe about 18. Great day and just a battle for one person but extremely exciting. Thank you to "Afternoon delight" and countless other boats that I did not see the name of for moving outta the way as I did circles around trying to get these salmon.

Me thinks others need to learn how to read.

-Steve

Out today. Hot early hit 5 teenagers before 7am. Kept a 10 and a 12. Then trolled till the change and hit a nice chubby 23 pounder. Nice scrap.

-Steve

Rook you have read it wrong its trophy 2005s report an 18 is way over the 65 cm and definatlly a 27 lber me thinks you better read it... sorry

Great morning on the water. Fished 8-10:30am, fish on around 9,one over, one under- both within 15 minutes!! The teenager was fresh and peeled some line. Both at the Trap, 70ft, red flasher, glow below anchovy. Time to sit on the deck in the sun and enjoy a bevvy!!! Xena

hi guys, after reading the posts I re-read dfo's posting and have now got things straightened out. I thought it was one wild or hatchery over 67 and one hatchery that was any size still. I didnt realize it was one over no matter what and one under, so the 18 I caught that was a hatchery I thought was legit. Anyways I did make the mistake and will be the first to blame myself but I have always been by the rules and have thrown countless springs back this year that were over the 67 cms and wild before the 15th. Thanx for clearing all this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day for sure but I only came home with a 9 pound jack. It was a dark looking fish for June.

Couple of low teens for us of which one got to see another day. Another smaller salmon got of before I got a good look at it and one more hit that didn't stick. All between trap and head. Bait at standard depths. Rumors of a 44 and 29 at the trap this morning. But may have been a radio joke. Did see a few good fish getting netted though. All in all a good day until the piston of my motor tilt sheared right off of the swivel mount. Hope that is fixable.

Oh, before I forget it, I saw a sockeye being cleaned at the table. Go figure!

chris73
"Oh, before I forget it, I saw a sockeye being cleaned at the table. Go figure!"

Yep, we had sockeye jumpers off the bow today.
Good day on the water. Glass smooth at times and cookie cutter teenagers for Popeye arms and myself.

Good day on the water, out from 7-1pm went 3 for 5, 2 keepers at otter point, then picked up one at the bluffs, snapped on off and missed another, lotsa boats out, hot sun, calm waters! Wicked sunday on the water!!!

We had one on before the second rod was in the water but it was lost when it took a run under the boat and another one just after getting the rod out of the rod holder and 3 more hits (buddy decided a trailer might be in order from now on). It was nice to see all the boats out all the way from Aldridge to Secretary today. That's why it's called fishing and not catching and it's only the start of a great summer.

Was out again today, with a friend this time, at the trap early. Was able to pull a 28 and a 8 out of there in the morning. The bite seemed to slow down so trolled west and got a 33 around noon! The 33 was a white and put up about a 1/2 hour fight. Great weather and fishing out there right now. Saw a few fish caught around us.

Finally, no wind, no rain a Sunday with what seemed like a normal amount of boat on the water for a Sunday in June and a good number of fish around. We landed 5 of 10. Otter Point was best early and late afternoon. Also some action at Sheringham around tide change. All 12 to 20 pounds. Still haven't actually seen a decent size fish netted around me....all seem to be cookie cutters.

Fished the trap shack today got a double header at 64 and 74 feet silver betsy 8 ft leader with a green chrome head and a red and silver flasher with an 8 ft leader and a chrome army truck head. Lost one knocked it off with the net but got an 18 lber. Is it ever hard to net a fish with a 8 ft leader when you are by yourself. Anybody got any tips and dont say shorten my leader.

I never use anything longer than 6 feet for springs. I only shorten my leaders in the fall for Coho and winter springs. I seem to do all right with 6 foot leads. Yet to catch a fish that was carrying around a tape or ruler to measuring leaders. ;)

Great day no wind no rain and awesome fishing this afternoon. We boated 7 out of 9 and the largest was 32 and all reds. They were mixed yesterday. Its great to see DFO is wrong on there return stats again. :)

Back