Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Trolled Possession point, and the Sooke bluffs on Saturday from 7am till 3pm and not a bite. Seen one fish brought in at possession, but that was it. No bait showing, but there was some clusters of sea bass down low in 280 feet of water that we dropped the gear down to check out.

Tried JR for the first time on monday, wasn't sure were to fish so we just drifted and managed one in the 40's. Beautiful flat calm day and not much tide. Tried for salmon on the way back not much happening that day. A very long run from suny shores.

fishing is getting better ,small bite at trap, and then at the head today through back 22lb & 18lb kepted two small ones.This slot is killing me. Saw two other biggys boated but kept ,don;t blame them.

slow

fished six hrs,one small spring released. daughter chelsea helped clip coho at sooke hacherey and meet the nice fish crew and got her self on tv good job. looking forward to the weekend.

Newfie Boy

I was clipping Coho just down the line from you and your group. It was good to see Chelsea out there helping out and supporting the process.

It's to bad that there are not more kids involved (and adults) in the clipping process. It sure would give us all allot more Coho to catch in four years.

GOOD JOB Chelsea.

I heard that by Sunday the clip count was at 38, 600.

Thanks to Deewar and everyone who helped out.

Out at Church and the Bedfords for a few hours at mid day. 1 released--maybe 12-13 lbs. 65 feet on anchovy off the bedfords. Great day to be on the water.
T2

Beautiful sunny flat calm day out there today. Fished the east side of Pedder Bay (William Head) and Whirl Bay through to Church Rock. Tried anchovies, coyote spoons and glo-hootchies but not a single bite. This is now reminiscent of last summer. With the departure of the winters it is now apparently impossible for us to catch summer Chinook, assuming they are there. Lots of porpoises in Whirl Bay.

Englishman,Went out for a little cruise around noon with my wife on the way to the head stopped to watch at least 4 boats play nice salmon most appeared to be in the 20 lb. range the last being @ least 25lbs. got a good look at after they fought it for 20min. then crudely netted it slapped it in the boat & after a few min. grabbed it by both gill plates hoisted it up for a photo-op as it flopped to & fro chucked it back in without any attempt to revive to it watched horrified as it bellied up & sunk away.
Discusting to say the least I wonder why they call it catch & release :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS - Guys who "release" fish in that way are obviously mentally deficient and don't deserve to be called "sport" fisherman. Terrible waste and disgusting as you say. However, they were obviously doing something right to connect with them and we weren't (again!). Not sure where you actually saw this - were you out from Pedder (you mention "the head") or are you referring to Albert Head further east?

I hope you know that boat Sammy, guys like that need to be posted on a wall of shame. That infuriates me!

On a side note, I took a couple of the guys out to Renfrew and we got into some beautiful fish this weekend. There were no seals but we wasted almost 3 packs of anchovies to the darn Black cod that are schooling up out there. The fish were deep still but in the low 20's which made for some really nice fights.

Their coming!

HEy Englishman this time of year it's best to just pick a spot and pound it . there arn't as many fish around as the winter but if you stick and stay you will get em. A buddy fished whirl today and the first couple hrs were slow then the bite came on and he limited in a short time. Another buddy fished the trap and did great but you have to wait them out sometimes. Good luck and don't give up.

E.M, "the head" refers to Beachy Head they were caught from Aldridge Pt. - Beechy head during the Ebb- Flood change if you'ld like a short tutorial P/M me alway's willing to tell you 2/3 of the story;) Way to go Banana u beat by a ;) now he'll be :confused:

Just put the boat in for the season Thursday afternoon and did a 8 hr trip Friday. Hit 9 fish up to 25 pounds up to the west. Brought home our 4 fish limit. Seems far better than the previous 2 June starts. Might just be a short lived spurt, maybe not. Hopefully there will be a decent June fishery this year, we need one.

Not a good sign when there has not been an update in 4+ days !

Cloud

Some things are best kept secret!;) I found a whole bunch of nice fish over by Dam the game started Gotta go... later Sammy

Maybe this will help. We headed out to trapshack today and tied into 5 wilds and got the fortune to release them all..... Damn slot is causing me grief. Watched a few other nice fish in the high teens get tossed back as well.

Sunday morning I went out to trapshack and watched several catch and release teenagers on other boats. My lines didnt budge though, but all in all it was a nice couple of hours on the water. Hopefully next weekend leads to some better fishing now that they are lifting the 45 to 67cm restriction.

Sunday morning I went out to trapshack and watched several catch and release teenagers on other boats. My lines didnt budge though, but all in all it was a nice couple of hours on the water. Hopefully next weekend leads to some better fishing now that they are lifting the 45 to 67cm restriction.

That is if you can find a parking spot/place to fish... being derby weekend (jdf) it might be a tad busy but hey the seals will be busy...maybe be a good time to fish oak bay ;)

Back