Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

I haven't heard any reports this week. I went out Sunday, got skunked on a brief salmon attempt and on halibut ... though glad to see I wasn't the only one. Sounds like salmon were doing pretty good off the bluffs though ... hopefully still around.

A guy caught a 212 pounder just after a left though, I went right by him on my way back home to mow my lawn. Gotta love that, eh? ;-)

Couple for us first thing in the morning on Saturday 12 and 8lbrs nice morning until the wind sent us home.

Cop car / silver green at 80 and 120ft. Otter to trailer park.
cheers

Any new reports? Plan on trying for some salmon this weekend hoping to narrow down the area. Good luck to all in the derby

Beginners progress - update:-
We trolled back and forth from Sooke Bluffs to Otter point for 6 hours today. Had two bites. One came to nothing, the other was a beauty 14lb hatchery fish. Since this is the largest fish we have caught from our boat to date, I consider this progress despite the lack of overall action. Anchovy and glow flasher at 140 feet was bait.

This is about the time of year to start pounding the Shack. Was in the there a couple weeks ago and it didn't disappoint.

Edit.... Good job English!

Spent 4.5 hours anchored on the water front, Gave that up and trooled from whirl bay to aldridge picked up a nice 17 pound ling and then went to try and jig up another one and my buddy hooked into a nice 30 pound hali in one of the strangest of places! But not the first time for this to happen to me. Overall a beauty day just no salmon to top it off!

-Steve

Went out this morning and trolled among 10 or so boats in the Trap Shack/East Sooke area. Almost zero action. Saw one other boat hook one, only to lose it after struggling to net it on his own. We had only one bite in 6 hours and boated a very small one of about 4lbs which came after we tried sending the rigger to 210 feet in desperation. Great sunny day on the water with flat calm, so no complaints from us really…..

My dad trolled the trap from 7am-noon and not even a strike. But hes not the best of fishermen :p He dident have me to guide him to his fish.

-Steve

VERYYYYYYYYYYY slow was out with a bud on his boat yesterday from 6:30 to about noon threw chovies,hootchies and a spoon at them not a sniff from bluffs to otter then down to poseesion /secretary beautiful day and fun times crab traps were good but thats about it to report....

Wolf

Fished yesterday afternoon 1-4 and tide was ripping so we ran to muir and trolled with it all the way to possession. Got one 8 Lb right away at muir and released it and then not a sniff, beautiful day out there tho!

Was out in the sun today , 25 lber wild snub nose {back in the water ] bit of a bite saw two other fish about 9am Trap on bait 85ft 120 of water. And four sea bass and one yellow eye ?

thats the same as what they had in place last year smiley...I looked at it twice first as well, but then remember the derby issues from last year of only catching 1 and having to decide what to keep, throwing back say dead ones to hold off for something bigger....derby or non-derby, your first fish and you foul hook a 10 lb'er...now what?? Pretty much have to head back in with it.

As second class citizens in this country we have to get used to appreciating what we are given after government consults with the first class.

Thats why i am working somewhere else than sooke for a bit they have forced me off the water .....
You should have been at the quide meeting we had a month back all of this for 1 fish get used to it guys as they want data I personally will not help them out buts thats just me, go ahaead and send in your heads as its a good system ....... ask them......
They have f%^#$D me over enough. like rollie said second class. we all know who is first class and it isnt the working white people.....

Wolf

We fished Sat at JR.
Got 4 halis and a 15&18 hatchery salmon in a 6 hour trip.
On the return to Sooke, I talked to some guys fishing the Sheringham light house. Numerous fish in the 20+ lb range taken at 60' - 100'

It appears bigger fish are showing up.

Now, off to JR again.

We hali fished at JR on sunday.
Got 3 chickens and then had to go in because it was very lump and my clients we're enjoying the winds. Fished in 150' of water and herring worked best.

On the return to Sooke, I again talked to a person fishing Sherringham and he had a salmon over 20lb in the boat and a couple small ones. But it was hard landing fish with the 3' chop on the water.

We salmon fished from the Sooke bluffs to Sherringham light house and back to the bluffs. Not a bite or a fish on the fish finder. I saw no action on the water and no salmon being cleaned at the dock, just a few halis from JR.

Nice calm water, sunny day but NO FISH ???

Back