Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Was in the "RANGERS DERBY" today with a bud , man o man pink pink pink seemed there was the odd spring being caught all around from sec to sheringam once you got past the pinks sounded like it was one here one there .
so results for the derby was JB burkart with a 36.2 lb for a new down rigger . 2nd place with a 32.6 lber was your truely had a pic of the table so i took a new smoker, 3rd was Cal young with a 31.8 lber.
I got mine at the last possable time said to my buddy well we have 10 mins now or never JOKING as I bet you we had 20 or so pinks that we let go during the day. so last min tact went into a tight spot sure enough bang fish on.... so yep pays to be diligant...... you just never know.

So i have a new smoker in the box with a 169 price tag on it ill see for 150 to whoever wants it.......

Good luck Wolf

Wolf,is it a bradley or big chief?... after landing 4 pinks & letting a least 10 go...swooped in for a pass off lippy pt. son:D spanked a 26lb. marble 65' chovy chalk a bock full of needle fish... even a whale show for wifey too boot.
:) all a round...sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great day out in the straight bonking some pinks with my 6 year old. It was great seeing his face all lit up with excitement as the rods just kept going one after another. Some decent size ones too. We tried briefly for the springs in the early morning but my son was biting at the bit to go out for the pinks. Man those things make a mess in your boat! Good talking to you Fishflyguy. How'd the day turn out for you?

I HATE PINKS!...... Sounds like I'll need a few packs for tomorrow?

Steve, BM... you guys out tomorrow?

Real good bite was on out west this morning.
Lots of good springs caught and a bunch of pinks around.
Looks like it is heating up out there.

Tips

Its a big chief...

tanx,i'll let buddy know ... mentioned he was looking...he should be back in town early next week...sammy

There have been decent numbers of springs for the taking once you weed through the pinks. Today was good for us with 27, 23 and 20 lbers. Yesterday (Fri) a stellar spring bite happened for about 2 hrs beginning at about 11:30. I heard it was starting but had to leave to drop off a party and pick up another. An hour and a half later it was still going off, ended up with 24, 24, 17 and 12 pound springs and lost a couple more. I caught the last 45 minutes. Definitely shaping up for a better year than the last two, hope it continues. It is also looking like a big pink and big pain in the butt run as well. I can already see an August little time to sit down and relax without having to re-bait and lots of blood and slime to continually wash off the inside of the boat. I had one yesterday that made my boat look like a murder crime scene...what a mess.

I had one yesterday that made my boat look like a murder crime scene...what a mess.
I try and flip them directly into a cooler to contain the "evidence'--it helps but its not perfect. Sometimes we'd have 200 of the little slimeballs on deck back when I was commercial trolling--now that was a slimescene.
T2

Was out yesterday fishing the trap and in and around secretary. Had a blast catching the pinks and a few coho. Several double headers. One of the coho was a hatchery. No luck for the springs although a few were being caught. Looks like others did better out towards Otter judging from some of the fish at the cleaning table. Those pinks sure make a mess!

MAN OH MAN all i can say this is the best fishing around here for a long time absoulutlly on FIRE got 2 springs to start the morning then went and topped up on a limit of hatch coho and some VERY large pinks a few over 10 lbs (yes i know there pinks) but when you got clients with kids its great to see the smile on a 6 yr old reeling in her very first salmon. time to get out there here is a few pics and my first loser fish in the derby on sat. and yes she is holding up a pink as it was to "gross" to lift the other spring LOL LOL
and the other one was off looking at starfish LOL LOL

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2011 039.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2011 039.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 126
  • SOOKE SALMON 2011 045.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2011 045.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
Do Pinks count as Salmon or are they more like undersize Lings? LOL!

Nice fish Roy..

Good to see you guys having a good season in Sooke this year.

I am in a bit of a depresion out here,, once again I can't make it out there this year.. What a year to miss by the looks of it.. But yiou never know I may fit in a couple days later on,, we will see.

Good luck to you guys this season and stay safe..

A few Sooke Pics

DSCF4499.jpg

Ready for action
DSC09428.jpg

There are lots of pinks for sure. Had fun with a couple manitobians tho. Had a few big males. One at 9lbs. One at 7lbs. All on chovy at 55-85. Great great orca show too. Right through line up at secretary. I'm guessing at least 50. Some bigguns. Roy still have that smoker?

Heard from Russ th Sooke whale watcher that J-1 (Ruffles) the oldest male in the 3 pods didn't make it through the winter. Hasn't been seen and presumed to have died.

Yes smoker is still for sale but im off for a week going to vegas for a bit.....when i get back i was going to put it up plus some reels and a scotty pedestal mount..

As for fishing today was good got a few nice springs pinks were not as many today but got enough to top it up

Back