Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey hurston,

what did you get the chum on and are they still jumping all over the place in front of the the harbour?

Hey hurston,

what did you get the chum on and are they still jumping all over the place in front of the the harbour?

Fished off sooke at the shipping lanes Saturday AM, nothing biting with the gear I used last weekend, came in closer to shore, switched to some green spoons 100 to 140 ft and landed a couple of nice coho wilds between the two of us and a couple small winter springs. Lost anoughter fish at the boat. Winter springs were both clipped ?

great day on the water.

Fished off sooke at the shipping lanes Saturday AM, nothing biting with the gear I used last weekend, came in closer to shore, switched to some green spoons 100 to 140 ft and landed a couple of nice coho wilds between the two of us and a couple small winter springs. Lost anoughter fish at the boat. Winter springs were both clipped ?

great day on the water.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

Hey hurston,

The Chum was on purple haze teaser/flasher and down at 95ft.
I didn't see any fish jumping, just tons of bait.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

Hey hurston,

The Chum was on purple haze teaser/flasher and down at 95ft.
I didn't see any fish jumping, just tons of bait.

We just returned from fishing out of Becher Saturday and Sunday and all six fish were clipped springs, up to 14 pounds.

The turn around has begun its obvious the feeders have arrived time to bring out the light gear and having fun.

Good luck Wolf

Went out this am to pick up some crab as Thanksgiving appies--seems to be good winter spring action by Church, accorging to the boyz.Beautiful morning to be on the water.
T2

How do you know they are winters. Is this typical time or earlier than last couple years. thanks.

You can tell if they are winters if their roe is not mature or if their sperm sacks are not mature. Plus they are smaller 6-12avg

Maybe some of you guys could troll in a generally North East direction to encourage some of them pups to feed over this side of the Strait, much appreciated.

Is it just me or should the size limit on springs be increased? It's too bad if people are out all winter catching and keeping springs under 10 lbs.

There are tons of fish to target let those springs mature and get em when they are BIG.

That's why there is a catch limit and you have to write down your
springs...you can kill 20- 4 lb fish or 20 - 30 lb fish and after
that you're done for the year.

Jockey:

As further support for the winter fishery, remember that there is a fair amount of natural mortality associated with life in the ocean. Your 7 to 10 lb witner has all year to get eaten by sea lions, Orca's, get diseased etc and die anyway from "natural causes". Your 35lb ripe adult is fitter, faster and way closer to the end of his\her life and therefore much more likely to spawn and contribute to future generatons. In fact, if a fellow was so inclined, he could actually support an argument that suggested that the feeder fishery is a much safer fishery to prosecute than the mixed stock summer fisheries.

I like 'em both though, so don't expect that argument from me!

Mmmmmm, winter chinook. So yummy!!So fun to catch on lite tackle!

I love Victoria.

GB:D

Another thing is the mortality rate of released fish. Other than the perfect lip hook, many hookups can cause wounds that eventually can kill them by disease etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back