Sooke Pinks, Pink Salmon Festival

Took my Dad pink fishing on Sunday,he's sort of a big kid.Second tideline 60 to 90 feet green hotspot, googly eyed thing, 22 fih 60 minutes.That's the one and only pink trip,took more time to clean the boat,than fishing for them.DAN

yeah, u can head out to around 500-530' anywhere from church west...I was usually getting them 60-80' in prior weeks, but last week was only hitting at 100'...red hotspots with anything pink...pink hootchie, squirt, apex etc Troll perpendicular to land until you find them and just loop back and forth, or just hang off the edge of the tidelines also if you still hadn't hit them (I have been staying in the region between trap and secretary).

took my son out today for pinks.
They were way way out. 15 minutes straight out at cruise from secretary. tried closer but not till we got way the heck out there did we have double headers and non stop action

quote:Originally posted by victoriaboater

Thanks for the info, the kids appreciate it.

Good on ya, wish my boat was goin right now, Id be there too. Nuthin beats those smiles [:eek:)]

quote:Originally posted by saltydawg

took my son out today for pinks.
They were way way out. 15 minutes straight out at cruise from secretary. tried closer but not till we got way the heck out there did we have double headers and non stop action
buddy of mine chasing them with his kids next week,
would you have been close to the border ?

I wouldn't go that far out. I've had a couple times now where I started to troll to the states and hit about 550' without a hit and turned around and found them in closer. I've been hitting the schools around 500' to 530'. They'll hit in schools - if you have one on, watch the other rod cause it will go off too. Then there might not be a hit for 30 minutes. I just do figure 8's between the depths and near the tide lines. Trust what Danthewire says - it's paid off huge for me. I'm about 60-70 pinks so far in the boat this year. No they are not all for me - I take lots of people out and they get the lions share.

Just look for the fleet of boats and see if they are bringing them in they are not hard to catch with the weaker tides it will make it easier for you as the big ebb moves them offshore more I head straight out from 300 to 500 ft and once you hit them keep going back and forth (good if you have a plotter) I ususally go down 100 ft and pick up the speed a bit so really its only down about maybe 70 ft and then 70 and 50 ft and see where they are.

There is lots of coho out there as well make sure you bonk the right fish LOL I think this is a great thing for kids.

Good luck to you all Wolf

yeah, on that coho bit, been hearing from several people that wild coho's are getting bonked like crazy and people just cleaning them at the tables with not a care in the world, usually claiming ignorance with no fishery officers to be seen and the fish counters not able to do anything but wag their finger (heard last weekend 1 guy even had 4 in his bucket)! Come on people...coho vs sockeye...yeah, I could see confusion (still not an excuse, but you know what I mean), but if you can't tell a pink from a coho, you don't deserve a license. Please pay attention and take only whats within your legal right!

At our Pink Festival meeting it was mentioned that DFO will be there to assist with the festival so there's a good chance that a DFO officer would aproach you if you are cleaning a Coho. It's not a day to take chances. It's also important for the kids to know that thier skippers are being honest.

This is great for the kids,can't make the festival, but on Saturday I'm going to take a customer and his son out pink fishing {guess thats two trips]They just moved here from Sask.and the boy is apparently pretty pumped about it.Hey Too Much Draft what type and colour is your boat?There was a boat that said mia --- something beside me a while ago.I'm usally on 6 .DAN

Dan,

I've got and old faded green Hourston hard top - I'll have a flag on my antenna on Saturday for the Consultants Derby.

Well, I've got an old faded green Double Eagle,but she's semi retired out in the back,just can't bear to sell her right now,she's been a good fishing partner for 30 years.I'm in a brand new 185 black Double Eagle,I'll keep an eye out.Give you a wave if I see you,DAN

buddy of mine chasing them with his kids next week,
would you have been close to the border ?

Not that far. But alot farther out than they were last week. The tide line formed when we were out there. Just look for groupings of boats. The group I was in where it was the best was almost shipping lanes. Last week I went 2x and they were 5 minutes cruise from the Trap. Once you hit the speed right, you get fish every 5 minutes. A blood bath.

Well good luck to all the particpants tommorow,just got off the phone with Don one of the organizers,unfortunately I can't make it.But I did take a couple of people out today,never been fishing in the ocean before,10 year old and his dad.What a hoot! forgot what it was like to be 10 years old,his eyes were as big as saucers,me I was dodging flashers and lures in the back of the boat,surprised they just did'nt come up with a set of teeth they were winding so hard.580 feet off Secratary,they were litterally boiling around the boat,never seen so many pinks.Anyhow they both caught a pile of pinks and we did get into a school of large ones,quite a few in the 5 to 6 lb range and one monster 10 lbs biggest pink I have ever seen,the little guy got it.And yes it was a pink,BIG hump,oval spots,etc,etc,and yes we weighed it.63 feet green hotspot and googly eyed thing.Good luck it sure was fun today,I'm still smiling and I think the young fellow is hooked.DAN

The Festival was a blast. Kids had a great time. Thanks to all those who came out. We must have had 40 fish hooked in the few hours we were out, what a hoot.

Are the fish still out at 550 foot depths? We are going to try tomorrow from the US side. Not sure how far out to go.

Mike

Back