Sooke Coho

scott craven

Anybody been out targeting coho in the Sooke area ?
Thinking about it this weekend.
Any hatchery? best lures ?

Thanks !

lots of wild fish(up to 10lbs for me) a couple of miles out on 3" apex's and dummy flashers, 45-60' - not a sniff on bait. I didn't seem to be getting much action until I got the speed around 3mph.

Straight out from the Sooke Bluffs at around 500-600 feet is usually great at this time of year. The 3.5 or 4.0 Coyote in Green /Nickle, Blue/ Nickle or Cop Car works well for spoons. They go ape**** for the #2 Green/Nickle Krippled K if you have one, but they hard find. For rolling bait, they will hit almost any teasers with green or blue.

There are some Big Chum out there with the coho as well, another forum memeber hit 17, 18, and 22# chum last weekend in with the Coho.

good luck Scott, might see you out there?

Was out Tuesday afternoon couple miles off the trap shack for two and an half hours LOTS of action 60 to 90 feet they were hitting anchovies,Army truck colors, real fast troll.Got a few on hootchies.DAN

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin
They go ape**** for the #2 Green/Nickle Krippled K if you have one, but they hard find.

i just happen to have a couple of those baby's left
Gonna try and get out friday afternoon
Thanks for the tips guys !

Now that its October, you can keep one WILD in the tidal waters too. We picked up a hatchery and a wild this morning on the flyrod. :)

I went out on Saturday the 29th.
Stacked rods 2 to a side and had 5 to the boat in 3 hours so not too bad.
The hot setup was chosen by my inexperienced brother-in-law: green flasher in Echip with a large white hoochie on a 42" leader and at the 50' mark. This got 4 of the 5 fish.
Speed was around 2.5mph over water - the currents were something else!
Roo.

Took my son out this afternoon and fished a couple miles out off
Beechey, it took a while to find them. then we had some pretty decent action on spoons. The 3.5 mongoose got most of the hits
at 70' on the downrigger. We lost a nice one which looked to be
about 12-13 lbs. just behind the boat.
5 hits , all wild fish.
here's my boy !

IMG_1306.jpg

quote:Originally posted by splittail

Now that its October, you can keep one WILD in the tidal waters too. We picked up a hatchery and a wild this morning on the flyrod. :)

I was looking in the regs for where it said that we could keep wild coho. Could someone please post the link?

Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Hey RS-- gotta love the look on your kids face--- He is trying his best to be cool, but the pride shows through!!! Most excellent!!![^]

Man was he pissed when the bigger one got off behind the boat...
i'm not sure but i think i heard the "F" word muttered.
;)

So, took my dad out this morning,the old boy arrived bright and early,was chattering away like a little kid,pretty exicited to go coho fishing finally[didn't take him to the Renfrew derby]went out a couple of miles off Beechy Head,lumpy,cold,windy, watch out for the LOGS,Driftwood,etc.Three hours,2 hits,bunch of shakers, and one in the boat.The old boys teeth were starting to chatter so in we came.Sixty feet FAST,troll army truck hootchies.All in All had a good day with my dad.DAN

Fished with dad for 3hours today 580-600ft off of beechy 1- 15lb hatchery coho, 12lb wild coho and another 4-5 lb wild coho, had 3 other good hits, and there were alot logs out there:)

I'M BRINGING MY 21 FOOTER DOWN TUES.IS IT WORTH COHO FISHIN AND WHERE, HOW ABOUT HALI'S OFF SOOKE AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST HOW THE HELL IS THE CRABBIN CHEERS M.T.

Well you know what they say,a bad day of fishing is better than a good day's work.I managed to get out twice this week it's not to bad, you might have to move around a bit.I'm finding them in pockets,Generally off Sooke start at around 500 feet and work out,vary your gear depths, But like any fishing they could be anywhere.Can't help with the halibut or crabs.DAN

What gale force wind this morning???
It was calm and clear out there. Bit wet after 10:00.

14lb hatchery, 1 6-7lb wild, 1 same hatchery. Couple released, couple more hits.

Nice to see some coho around this year!

Tips
PS. Not me in the pic

TailoutOct707002.jpg

I got a question for you guys fishing coho. Tommorow were gonna play around and stack coyote,hootchie,bait,apex then skip a bucktail off a flyrod. How do you guys rig your apexs? what colors do you like for coyotes and hootchies?Ps nice coho tips thats a fatty

I like a pure white hootchy, 36"-40" leader and cop car coyote for spoons, 5' leader.
Good luck tomorrow.

Back