Sooke coho derby

Salmon fishing derbies,like salmon are a dying breed...makes more sense volunteering your time & or money directly to the hatchery.

Yes everyone is feeling the pinch right now for sure, inflation is way ahead of wages it seems. I will go, but just two rods this year.

Still cheaper than a day of skiing at Mt Washington and that does nothing for the Charters Creek Hatchery, Interpretive Centre and the creek itself. And no chance at getting 50% of the mountains daily revenue as a prize. Just some perspective!

Still cheaper than a day of skiing at Mt Washington and that does nothing for the Charters Creek Hatchery, Interpretive Centre and the creek itself. And no chance at getting 50% of the mountains daily revenue as a prize. Just some perspective!

Well its not winter RR yet slow down...Are you participating this time this year? You better not be lecturing if your not going...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
The Coho derby is a great fund raiser and helps support fish and community.

$50 for a ticket is up there but if you consider yourself a good fisherman (or the best) this derby is for you to try to win. Get out there and purchase a ticket and maybe you can be a winner and take the title away from last year’s winner (Reel Excitement Charter?) and take home the cash. Even if you don’t win you probably have a good chance at winning a prize.

Maybe someone from the derby could list some of the top prizes and entice more people to purchase a ticket.

Salmon fishing derbies,like salmon are a dying breed...makes more sense volunteering your time & or money directly to the hatchery.

Yes and No. They are not a dieing breed if you have a format that just allows people to go fishing and not to serious with a goal to support charities.. Nowadays that is the format in future we need to follow. Much is how I believe volunteering is good thing I find it myself more rewarding raising funds for these organizations. A lot of local Sooke hatcheries depend on these funds. With no derby fundraisers doesn't matter the help you can give they cannot survive. The federal government only gives so much. I personally have been involved both, and also have donated prizes last few years from my company also to help out. I wish more would or could do the same.. Anyhow the point of this thread was not discredit the derby. Were going anyway to support the hatchery so I apologize if I went on about entry going up.... KK and Tips I hope your both in it.....

I'm interested to hear about the food bank prizes in addition to prizes for spots 2-8. I know 1st gets half the pot...

If the prize table offers a good chance to win a cool prize I'll probably go in. Your right - your right I should care more about $ to the hatchery then prizes on the talbe but what can I say? I love prizes!
It's sad that it has to be about you and the prizes and not the fish. Why not just make a donation of money or time and help these guys out..... Pretty Sad

I'm fairly certain that my son and I will join the derby. It'll be a first time for this derby for us, and we are looking forward to it. My son really enjoys the atmosphere of a derby, so it'll be a lot of fun!!

SpringVelocity;my post wasn't intended to slag this particular derby;it was meant to get people to contribute more to their local hatcheries. Go fishing,have a party and donate all the proceeds,wouldn't that make the hatchery a winner.

SpringVelocity;my post wasn't intended to slag this particular derby;it was meant to get people to contribute more to their local hatcheries. Go fishing,have a party and donate all the proceeds,wouldn't that make the hatchery a winner.

I know it wasn't... Yeah I know people helping out wouldn't it be a change.....

It's sad that it has to be about you and the prizes and not the fish. Why not just make a donation of money or time and help these guys out..... Pretty Sad

I do make charitable contributions each year which makes us all feel good. This year I decided to support the Tour de Rock with schools closed up until Monday their fund raising ability has been hampered this year. Anyone considering a donation to whatever charity consider the Tour. Hatcheries need help yes, but if im giving money away i think kids with cancer probably need it more.

I do make charitable contributions each year which makes us all feel good. This year I decided to support the Tour de Rock with schools closed up until Monday their fund raising ability has been hampered this year. Anyone considering a donation to whatever charity consider the Tour. Hatcheries need help yes, but if im giving money away i think kids with cancer probably need it more.

Great, but how about the fish. This derby is there to help the fish. But no it's about the prizes for you.

If the prize table offers a good chance to win a cool prize I'll probably go in. Your right - your right I should care more about $ to the hatchery then prizes on the talbe but what can I say? I love prizes!

Are you freaken blind man? These fish need every help they can get. I can tell from some of your posts and PM's of the last couple years you don't give a ****. You don't belive in conservation, protection or let alone giving the fish a fighting chance here in BC. Why is that? Is it because you feel it's your right to fill your freezer and pretend that everything in our oceans are just fine. Gee you must be looking thru the same freaken glasses the DFO and government have been handing out.

If your not there to support the fish who is? Everyone else? Take your prize blinders off oh and your humble I donated to cancer blinders off and start looking at our fishery here in Canada. Better yet sell your boat and take up golfing. Most golf clubs have awesome prizes at their events.

These guys are hosting a derby raising money for a great cause. So many talk big, do so little and some times it really shows. I had the chance this year to see myself first hand by putting on a derby here on SFBC raising money for another hatchery. I got see who had their eyes set on prizes. I seen people who only entered if their odds were good of winning prizes. But you know there were a lot more good people who entered just to support the hatchery, protect the species, give these fish a safe clean environment and a chance to servive.

To all of you that entered good luck and good on ya.

Great, but how about the fish. This derby is there to help the fish. But no it's about the prizes for you.

Are you freaken blind man? These fish need every help they can get. I can tell from some of your posts and PM's of the last couple years you don't give a ****. You don't belive in conservation, protection or let alone giving the fish a fighting chance here in BC. Why is that? Is it because you feel it's your right to fill your freezer and pretend that everything in our oceans are just fine. Gee you must be looking thru the same freaken glasses the DFO and government have been handing out.

If your not there to support the fish who is? Everyone else? Take your prize blinders off oh and your humble I donated to cancer blinders off and start looking at our fishery here in Canada. Better yet sell your boat and take up golfing. Most golf clubs have awesome prizes at their events.

These guys are hosting a derby raising money for a great cause. So many talk big, do so little and some times it really shows. I had the chance this year to see myself first hand by putting on a derby here on SFBC raising money for another hatchery. I got see who had their eyes set on prizes. I seen people who only entered if their odds were good of winning prizes. But you know there were a lot more good people who entered just to support the hatchery, protect the species, give these fish a safe clean environment and a chance to servive.

To all of you that entered good luck and good on ya.

It's kinda like letting other people say what they feel on this forum besides yourself blabbing all the time!

This thread is about the derby

Where funds go is up to the organizers and if there are no prizes or donations back to fish I would think the ticket sales would be very few or 00

Just look at the Sooke Classic Derby, to high of ticket price, 1 cash prize, very few other prizes, very little donations to fish. Only a few entry so it was cancelled.

Please start your own thread about............

Thanks

Can I confirm from someone organizing is it 3pm everything wrapped up or is it 3 just weigh in.... ? Also can someone organizing Elden or whoever PM me I want to make a donation to prize table..... Can I just drop it off at Crab Shack?

So any more info on the derby, where to buy tickets, start/stop times, derby rules, weigh in/wrap up location, prize list, etc.

Need this info to promote this derby. Thanks.

Hello all,

I've been hard at work getting prizes for the derby.
So far there is about 40 tickets sold.
There is many rod and reel combos, crab trap, prawn trap, hoodies, tones of oki gear(flashers and teaser heads)a large landing net, 12 volt heater, an hour labour from a local mechanic, a haircut from local salon, gift certificates, coast reel for second prize and a nice rod and reel for the food bank draw.
A local food truck will be onsite for delicious food.
I still have a few places to visit. There will be prizes for 10 biggest fish for sure!

Derby info
Jocks Dock
Saturday oct 11 first st light till 3:00 pm in line*
50% to winner, 50% to Charters Creek
Give a fish for entry to food bank prize
Tickets on sale at Crab Shack, Eagle Eye,
Wise Buys, Trotac, and island outfitters.

Come out and support salmon conservation and the sooke food bank

Thank you and good luck

Ok, sounds like a blast! $50 per fish that we enter, right? We can have non-fishing crew on board, right?

Back