Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Fished out west this morning. 26.5lb and 2 around 10lb. Deep where bait was showing.
Saw a couple other fish caught but no bite on.

Tips

Took a buddy out on Rockfish's boat yesterday for his birthday. Fished inside and outside without many bites as well as some targeted sockeye fishing with no bites. We only had two bites during the day but they were two nice teenagers - an 18lb red and a 15lb white. My friend's 18lb was the biggest that he has ever caught and he was elated about his birthday catch. View attachment 13347

Nice, interesting to note that the white has more spots on the tail than the red, is that common? Or is it the other way around? Hard to tell in the pic, but one has spots on the tail and the other I can't see.

No early bite this morning so moved further west and took a teen with only 1 rod back in the water, then pick up another shortly after and missed a couple. Around 10:30 headed out for sockeye and got into them and coho right away. Lots of action and steady up and down with the gear for about an hour and a half. Managed 6 nice sockeye and released 5 wild coho and a bunch of small springs. Had just enough time left for about 15 minutes back on the beach and picked up another teenager to cap the day off. Springs were deep and sockeye were 35-65 feet.

Good day for a group trip thats in the derby biggest is leading it (so far) could change though. not a real bite just GRINDING away at it.
These guys have been coming with me for the 5th year in a row and I personally couldnt be happier as the "senior" is the one who got the big one they are great customers last year at this time of year he also got one in the mid 30s but we didnt go in the derby but this year they made sure of it.....crossing my fingers for them....
Purple was the ticket today...

Attachments

• 13625.jpg
    13625.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 558
half hearted bite at muir around 7 am this morning which resulted in a 10 lb spring - 80 feet on anchovy. moved further west without any action and then circled back to muir picking up a sox around noon. the sockeye was at 120 feet also on bait. worked the area hard after with more typical sox gear without success. marking lots deep 80-140. kreel survey said half the boats had at least 1 fish.

Fished 4-5 at otter pt. landed a nice 32lber and had to scram as the waves were beginning to wash over the sides of the boat. Shallow in tight to the rocks.
ega7yta2.jpg

Did a hali trip in the morning and got 2 chicken pretty quickly. Lost a little bigger one earlier before the second around 20# hit. Can't seem to catch any larger halis anymore. Then tried for sox at East Sooke and got a couple beauties close to the boat but both started cartwheeling just outside the net range and got off the hook. A few more bites that didn't stick and a couple of pinks. So, there are a few around - saw some jumpers too - but I got to relearn how to play those sox - carefully. Nice sizes ones though - figure 8-10#. Next time!

At 90' just west of the head yesterday.released some small coho at muir,
but this 'day saver' got my guest his largest at 27lbs.weird stance,depth of field trickery makes this slender red girl look larger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 813
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 808
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, interesting to note that the white has more spots on the tail than the red, is that common? Or is it the other way around? Hard to tell in the pic, but one has spots on the tail and the other I can't see.

There are wide variations when it comes to spots on Chinook tails. Some have a great many distinct high contrast spots like the short stubby white and some have much fewer spots of lower contrast like the long red Chinook and I have even seen the odd one with almost no discernible spots. Both of these Chinook have spots on the tail and in the picture the larger long thinner red Chinook is on a slightly different angle to the sun which washes out the much fewer less distinct spots on both the upper and lower tail relative to the short stubby. Keep in mind that even large Coho can have a very few spots on occasion almost always on the upper part of the tail but I have not seen then on the lower part of the tail like both these Chinook. What is important is the gums which in both these Chinook are dark jet black right to the base of the teeth. There is no narrow white/light gray strip up against the base of the long sharp needle like teeth. Guess it comes down to genetic variation.

Last edited by a moderator:
No early bite this morning so moved further west and took a teen with only 1 rod back in the water, then pick up another shortly after and missed a couple. Around 10:30 headed out for sockeye and got into them and coho right away. Lots of action and steady up and down with the gear for about an hour and a half. Managed 6 nice sockeye and released 5 wild coho and a bunch of small springs. Had just enough time left for about 15 minutes back on the beach and picked up another teenager to cap the day off. Springs were deep and sockeye were 35-65 feet.

Profisher- do you slow your trolling speed for sockeye, or just regular 'chinook' speeds? Just curious thanks

In Campbell river it was always dead slow, but picked up 3 yesterday targeting springs on bait

Went out from 7:00 to 10:30 straight out of the harbor. Tried for sockeye in 500 feet of water. Very slow only picked up a pink and lost one(who knows what it was). Went in towards the bluffs and tried for springs for 15 min. Had one short biter right off of the bottom(105 ft). Saw a few fish caught out there but look like pinks mostly. We also used a third surface rod for coho, nothing. Looks like there is not a lot of them either right now.

There isn't I was out as well tried the majority among others in morning out west in 500 feet of water and back to shore... When I came back around 2 on my way in saw tons of boats stacked off secretary...So maybe that is where they were.

Slow is the word today. Scratched a few up but had to work hard to do that... No sockeye at all.....

Slow. Two days no springs for us. Not sure about others only saw one net at Otter and one at the Head.

We joined the masses in Sooke, fished from 9:30-1:30, out around Otter. Got a pink early on when retrieving to check for seaweed, and then got a very nice 15lb white spring at 350', at 120' on the rigger, around 11. There was a fresh injury, small chunk out of the belly, but was otherwise in good condition. Maybe just beat a seal, but didn't see one at that time. Stuck it out for another 2 1/2 hours, pulled in one more small spring, but not a lot of other action, only a couple other bites. But it was a fabulous day on the water, no fog, calm seas, and a few fish made for happy kids and BBQ tonight.

So the Crew on the bluewolf did very well this weekend.
They worked hard for it again today ...
they placed 2nd,8th,12th,18th,19th in the sooke derby very proud of them and for my buddy winning $2500.00 bucks....this is a picture of day 2
Purples and greens were working for us today. 50 ft seemed to be the depth for us anyways.

Attachments

• 13941.jpg
    13941.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 478
Looks like my newbie luck in Sooke has worn off already. After some pretty good fishing this past week we got skunked both yesterday and today. Well yesterday we had a chance as my wife had a nice spring before losing. Today though was even slower for us with only one hit on an anchovy. Worked possession pt and secretary for a cpl hrs then headed out deep to the seagulls that were over bait balls and other boats joined in and saw two small ones landed right away then nothing more so gave possession pt one last try on our way in. Fished from 630-1130.

Halibut face..normal spring speed for me..2.3 mph Allows me to take Coho s well. I do get them when I slow down to play a fish...so both work. I prefer faster to cover more ground because you have to locate a school and they only are on the bite for so long in a day.

Took our chances and came back to Sooke this morning. Fished west from 8:00-11:00 trolling to Otter pt and back with no luck. Had a few decent hits, but nothing stuck. Thought we were skunked as I let my son haul in the lines and he landed a little cod. After a couple quick pictures of the proud boy and his catch, we let the little guy get back to his home in the rocks.

All in all a great day on the water with the fam. Calm seas, lots of sun and met some really nice folks. Hope to get back out there and land some big fish soon.

Took out a protégé with his brand new rod and reel to show him how to catch sockeye. We started out at the bluffs and fished straight out to the 3rd tide line about 550 feet. His side dummy flasher plus the usual red pattern hochie setup. My side chovy and madi flasher ( my go to flasher) trying for springs or anything thing else that might be interested... Hochie picked up 1 sockeye about 7 lbs, 2 pinks, small 3 lbs( what's with the pinks this year) and a clipped coho also maybe 3 lbs. I went home with nada, zero. Thank god this is one of Victoria's best years for fishing or we may have come home with nothing. This according to the front page of the Times Colonist newspaper last week

Back