Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

In yak from 7-11:30 between Trailer Park and Otter Pt. Back and forth, in and out, from 60-150 ft deep and 30-80 ft on rigger. Trolled anchovy behind mini hot spot flasher. Not a bite. Saw one fish being bonked at 9am near Otter Pt, otherwise nothing to report.

Skunk #10...

Still tryin'

Certainly a very encouraging post by Profisher. But a word of caution.
Fishing in Sooke is all about location, location, location. You can't catch fish that are not there. Profisher knows exactly where the fish are every tide, day or night throughout the season. No one else has put a post like that up for the day (check out the earlier posts of SookesofHazzard and Frayedknot) and the reason is most anglers, myself included, are not like Profisher.
So I for one, expect to plod on, catching a fish here or there, but never experiencing a day like Profisher has just posted, ever! After all only fishing gods can catch 8 fish up to 27lbs in 4 hours. Us mere mortals can only look on the pictures with awe!!:(

Sorry guys, I know we are quite a bit past this on the thread, and a report thread at that, but I wanted to reply to this post due to a couple points it brings up that I feel strongly about.

I'm not commenting here because of the comparison between Profisher and I that day, as it is absolutely true that he got into 'em and I did not (as an added note, I believe he was up at the Lighthouse and I was at Beechy Head...really, that is worlds apart). I just happen to believe that you, Englishman, and anyone else who ever feels like they won't ever get to "fish god" status should do away with that self-limiting believe. Cause if you believe it to be true, it will manifest itself into reality.

For sure, guys like Wolf and Profisher do well out there. From what I've heard personally, they are both stand-out guys and amazing fisherman. That said, I think they might both agree that one major advantage guides have is time on the water. Not just because it adds up to more practice and experience, but if you can get out day after day, it makes it a lot easier to stay on top of the fish then when you essentially "go out blind" every couple weeks or so. Though my guiding experience is limited, (2 seasons) I'd like to think I have my basics down pretty darn good, in terms of technique and theory. That said, the fish aren't always were theory would say they are, or perhaps there are a good many places they could and should be, but those who's jobs aren't on the water only have a day and so many hours at a time to find them, plus a bunch of other variables to factor in! More time on the water, and more repeated time on the water, definitely attributes to more fish in the boat. I doubt any guide would lay claim to always knowing exact where the fish are in all conditions - but the added time can narrow it down.

But the beautiful part of fishing is exactly this - the randomness of it. It's like gambling. I myself have had days I've slammed 20+ springs and limited out where my buddies couldn't get a hit. Other times, it's them. And if you are capable enough of getting a baited line attached to a rigger, for all intensive purposes, you've got as good a chance as the next guy to land that dream fish! I love that - the guy in the $100,000 rig could get outfished by a guy in a tinny!

Maybe in the long term, the weekenders won't bonk as many fish as the guides. And yes, sometimes people may post misleading reports when they happened to get into them without having the perception to notice others weren't. But I'm glad they are posting, and it's up to us to use this great forum for what it is - a bonus/added benefit - and make up our own conclusions.

Englishman, though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you personally, I know you are a great father, husband, and all around person - and probably a much better fisherman than you give yourself credit for! Keep thinking positive, and positive results will happen!

Tight lines everyone - back to reports!

Fished Otter and Muir yesterday but not much love - a few small Coho and lots of tiny feeder Springs that ate most of our bait. Fished Sheringham this morning from 6:30 - 10:30. Picked up 2 mid teener red Springs plus 2 small clipped Coho's. Overall, did not seem as hot as it was reported to be yesterday but a few fish being caught. Fished Camper and Otter this afternoon but no love. Released a nice Sockeye but that was it. Thanks to Blue Wolf for mapping out the area for us and showing us where some fish live.

Another great morning with 8 springs, 22.5, 21, 18.5, 17, 16, 15,8, 14 and 9 pounds. Lost 3 more and kept a couple pinks and a hatch coho. Major bite from 7am to 8am when we boated 6 of those. It was as fast as a line could be put in the water and I could only get one in for about 45 minutes. Had 4 or 5 springs sloshing on the decks at our feet while I struggled just to keep gear in the water and keep the clients into fish.

Out fishing with Rockfish today. We fished in front of the bay today. We were catching and releasing wild cohos, small springs and even pinks. Just when were going to call it a day, we hit this beauty! We caught it on a green glow teaser head at 75 feet on the rigger.20140721_173324.jpg

Holy cow I think profisher is running to renfrew?

Lol nice work!

Put me down with the skunk crew tried possession/secretary 11am -5pm last night a little lumpy but not too bad. No hits, no smash and grabs, no nibbles... I don't think I even got a sniff. Didn't get up when my alarm went at 4am and paid the price.

Not quite that far!! But right direction.

Another great morning with 8 springs, 22.5, 21, 18.5, 17, 16, 15,8, 14 and 9 pounds. Lost 3 more and kept a couple pinks and a hatch coho. Major bite from 7am to 8am when we boated 6 of those. It was as fast as a line could be put in the water and I could only get one in for about 45 minutes. Had 4 or 5 springs sloshing on the decks at our feet while I struggled just to keep gear in the water and keep the clients into fish.

I hope that group realized what a great catch that is for sooke and hope they gave you FAT tip. Nice work Profisher!

That is the motherlode of fish!

I troll near Profisher in the Sooke area quite regularly. I don't enjoy anywhere near his success. But he's out there everyday and his job is to get people to catch fish, and he's good at it!

Well cant say it was like that for us but still managing to get them anyways today went old school and picked up some nice fish and again on Andrews spoon i put it out everyday and get fish on it so im a believer...... Purple was the color for me today , and im sure it will change again tommorow LOL
AND im also getting pinks??? weird to see them here but il take em..

heard the afternoon was dead maybe rollie has a report form yesterday as i saw him going out??

And Greg your more than welcome on the mapping info wished I could have had a bevie with ya.... not yet but soon.....

Good luck Wolf

Afternoon was slow, tried 3 spots trying to find some fish on the sounder but blank screen except for a few patches of bait here and there. Just pinks and coho on the 2 nd trip. Only saw I spring taken and that was before I got my lines in at the start of that trip. Where they went???? I don't know!! They will probably show up at the Island or the Trap tomorrow ;)

Tips...maybe that is why I could only get one rod in the water...trying to eat bananas when the bite is on..haha. Poppa...Sooke is just like any other WCVI fishing spot....they are all capable of days like that if you are there on the right days! All those same areas are also subject to the "should have been here yesterday" too! Lol

Well cant say it was like that for us but still managing to get them anyways today went old school and picked up some nice fish and again on Andrews spoon i put it out everyday and get fish on it so im a believer...... Purple was the color for me today , and im sure it will change again tommorow LOL
AND im also getting pinks??? weird to see them here but il take em..

heard the afternoon was dead maybe rollie has a report form yesterday as i saw him going out??

And Greg your more than welcome on the mapping info wished I could have had a bevie with ya.... not yet but soon.....

Good luck Wolf

Waiting for my spoons Andrew put order in late last week...

Flat calm day so went down to Sheringham from 7am until 11:30am. Quite a few boats there (maybe 20 or so). Released an unclipped coho in the first 10 minutes then nothing for two hours. Finally got a big hit and played a very feisty 22lb fish to the net. No mishaps near the net this time!
First year I have ever had more than one fish over 20lb in a season. Got one more hit but missed that and just released a couple more unclipped coho. So a typical day for me in the sense that we got just two hits in nearly five hours trolling………..that is how it has been all season. I guess I just have to have patience, which I think I have demonstrated!! (Case in point we trolled back to Otter via the 400 foot contour and back in, trying to find more coho but did not get a touch.)
Did not see any other fish landed at Sheringham and spoke to two other buddies out there and neither of them had had any chinooks. I think my secret to success today was my wife put two bananas on board for lunch without telling me. I am going to ensure she does that next time as it may be the required magic ingredient!!! LOL....LOLP1280116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back