Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Englishman, frustration is a part of the game...kinda like golf! This is really only my second year at this game, and figure I am doing OK, but I love to see Wolf or Profisher pumping up the community by showing what they have massaged from the ocean. They are the pros and spend more time than anyone else out there and any bit of knowledge they spill only helps my game...they don't nneed to, in fact they would have less boats to move around out there if they were not so forthcoming (sorry Wolf I crossed in front of you like a jackass today...but you still gave me room).

Anytime you big boys want to post pictures of your haul, do it...I will just think of it as fish **** and leave it at that. Besides it keeps me thinking of that tyee that will one day be mine.

I agree DVL. I too enjoy Profishers' and Wolf's posts. They are great, but that does not stop me being in awe! My point was not about the post but about the fact that these posts do not suddenly signal a bonanza for everyone. Reality is much harsher.

Here is the reason I am so confident I could never have a day such as Profisher posted. I keep detailed statistics and here they are.
year# of summer sessions (May-Sept)# of Chinook of 20lbs & up# of sessions catching more than 1 chinook
2014 to date912
totals82313

The yawning gap, the vast gulf between Profisher’s post and my catches are obvious. Three fish of 20 and up in 4.5 seasons! Only 13 summer sessions out of 82 where I caught more than one Chinook!! Yes, have had a few decent teeners including two this year, but they usually come on single fish days. To even imagine I could ever have such a day as Profisher posted would be completely delusional!!
Don’t confuse being realistic with not being happy. I have caught a few fish. I enjoy being out on the water very much. But I still look upon the unattainable catches of Profisher and others with awe!!

And I will still try again tomorrow......:D

Great stats.
You may have a hot boat. Check that everything is grounded properly. Switch from wire to braid on your downriggers. Good fishing.
Stosh

More perspective Roland....with today's early Chinook runs compared to before say the early 2000's .... a 20lb plus is more like a 30lb plus and a 30lb plus is more like a 40lb plus. The fish are smaller these days and sadly we are all catching fewer of the 20 plus fish, myself included.

Hey Roland, did you forget about this day in June of last year? Multiple large chinook on the same day. Pretty good day imo.

Report from Englishman June 2013

"Hi guys,
Yes, here is the amazing (for me! ) story.

Fished on my boat with Dave S. from 6:45am till 2:00pm today and had the most astonishing (for me!) and incredible day. Flat calm so chose to run all the way to Sheringham and west.

In first hour Dave got a 12lb hatch and I got an 8lb wild at 50 feet in 120 feet of water. Anchovies with Betsy flashers. We also hit one wild coho which was released by the boat.
Then nothing for over three hours while we manoeuvred around in the strong ebb.

Then Dave’s rod suddenly went off out of nowhere and he played a beauty 23lb fish, which did a couple of jumps, to the boat which I netted at second attempt. Anchovy at 57 feet in 90 feet of water. This was the largest chinook ever to my boat at that time but alas still no big summer chinook for me!! :(

Nothing more for a another two hours and we were about to call it a day as we followed the 90 foot contour, when I got weed off my anchovy for the umpteenth time and lowered to 62 feet. Down for 10 minutes and I had a pin popper. After a pulsing head shaking fight on my old Peetz plus 40 year old English carp rod, Dave expertly netted a fantastic 25lb chinook. :)

FINALLY ! My first decent summer chinook for two years and my largest fish ever. What a day….what…. a …..day……..

P.S. High Five did not have black box on but Dave checked my voltage again running the voltmeter right back to the negative on the battery terminal (I usually ground only to the engine mount). According to that measurement I am 0.6V natural so I seem OK. Certainly was today!!"​

1044159_10152940639525133_1069123884_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolf pretty well handed out the magical formula.......where he said it's all about knowing what the fish will do and where they will be on certain tides, eddies, etc etc.

Sounds a lot like the formula for fishing just about everywhere.......

As in the rest of life, simplicity is often the best answer but the most difficult to execute.

Yes, you can motor out on the chuck and haphazardly drop some gear (including 'goto's") and start trolling......but IMO one is far better off taking a good look at the marine charts for islands, structure, current flows, tides etc etc etc. and figuring out where the fish and bait are likely to be pushed on a given tide,cycle or event.

I bet if you go back over all the Sooke reports for the last 5 years you will see a pattern.......

I would be less concerned about boat voltage and which color hoochy etc. and more concerned about where fish and bait like to hang out on tides around Sooke.....

JMO, this is a "current reports page" not something you did back in the good old days; furthermore the ego stroking should be replaced by copious amounts of the said expert - fisher person's favorite elixir :D

JMO, this is a "current reports page" not something you did back in the good old days; furthermore the ego stroking should be replaced by copious amounts of the said expert - fisher person's favorite elixir :D

Sorry Sammy, back to current reports. How's it been around the bay?

What you did back in the day is often what you will be doing today as history will repeat itself unless you change/get smarter.

Hey Roland, did you forget about this day in June of last year? Multiple large chinook on the same day. Pretty good day imo

Not forgotten Dave. That is the "1" in 2013 recorded in the stats and I only recorded "1" because one fish I caught and one fish was on your rod! (However, it was the one and only session out of the 82 where two fish over 20 came to my boat - best ever day by far).

Rough this morning and wind picked up more and more instead of settling down. Fished 7:30 am till 12 from secretary to trap - 4 hatchery coho in the boat, all on bait.

tough slogging today. rode the following waves from muir to possession - 3 non-retained coho and 1 retained hatchery chinook.

No pics here, Lots of Cohos today Fished the bay from 8-noon. over a dozen coho around 4 pounds mostly hatcheries. Released a spring around 10 pounds and missed a double header of good springs. Back out tomorrow. Maybe nicer weather and can do some bucktailing.

-KK

Good morning today.
Dropped gear in and had 2 springs and 2 hoes before I could get second rod down.
Had trouble getting them in the boat though. Lol

Fished 6:30-11:30
6 springs on (3 boated) , few coho and a pink released.

Tips

I'll bite!!! Limit of 6 springs and back an hour early. Also a couple of pinks, 1 hatch coho, released 1 sock, 2 coho and 3 or 4 small spring. A couple of happy Aussies.

/media/DSC_0003-Copy_zpsdd456b06.jpg.html]
DSC_0003-Copy_zpsdd456b06.jpg
[/URL]

started first thing at otter nothing for a few hours and saw only one caught out of a bunch of boats so trolled up to muir. Again nothing going on so we pulled up and went to the lighthouse at 8am. First pass got a teener and it was non stop after that till noon when we packed up. Ended up with 3 teens. The old man was wearing the L on his forehead as he lost 2 good ones haha. had about 6 other hits too. Everyone was getting them too. Great day! Talked to you profisher right when you left.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 739
Yes Otter was very slow was there from 12-3...Nothing except a few sockeye. Slow day for me for a change but I am not a good as fisherman as Rollie. ;) LOLOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Went To beechy head today started late, 9:30 to 1:00. Picked up a nice 26 lb red on anchovie. Looked slow out there though did not see much except for coho being caught.
Calm day

Fished otter-muir-sheringham& back , managed 1 keeper spring 6-7 lbs lots of uncliped coho and small springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back