Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Fished 8:00am until 2:30pm today. Went to Sheringham and at 8:45am had a big hit on anchovy at 81 feet and played a beautiful 19lb fish to the boat. And what is more it was clipped, and is the biggest clipped fish I have caught. (see photo). We could have finished there because for the next 4 hours nothing happened. I tried my glo spoon down deep again and we went out to 400’ criss-crossing the contours with anchovy, hootchie and spoons, to no avail. After lunch on the long troll back past Muir to Otter we released one wild coho and finally got a hit on the spoon at 73’. We played a 6 or 7lb fish to the boat where it flipped off the hook. Large singles are notorious for doing that! I am going to swop out the single hook for a small treble….

And yes I know that is Otter in the background of the photo. That is where we finished for the day, and took the shot. No chance of me ever getting a fish like that at Otter!!…:D.LOL, LOL

19lbclipped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished 1:45-5:45 at the Head for 1 feeder spring that is going to the bbq. might have seen a school of socks on the sounder but couldn't get a nibble from them.
T2

Good day for us today with 5 out of 6 springs from 16 to 21 1/2 pounds. Also a nice 9-10 pound hatch coho and a sockeye. Well that is a good day now probably 5 bad ones coming based on how this year has gone so far!

Was only able to get 1 today and had to stay in calmer waters but managed 1 for 2 with these future fisherman.... .funny thing about having kids on a boat the lil guy is eating a muffin (no banana btw in it) he goes mommmy ewww raisins , i say toss em over board the fish will eat them ... You dont like raisins??? every kids loves them I ask him..... nope not me ewww.(btw hes 6 yrs old) So I ask him, do you like GRAPES???? with out a hesitation he say I LOVE grapes and yes I know thats where raisins come from!!!!! stunned me and put me in my place LOL LOL we all had a good chuckle on that one.

So back to reports the other day after the pic we got 5 that day as well but old school again seems purple is the color of choice lately ...
I still think more are coming .....

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 19363.jpg
    19363.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 545
Went out again today from 8:00am until 2:00pm. Skunked!
Tried in 500' of water to start, looking for cohos and sockeye. Back in past Secretary and a few passes of the trap. Then all the way back out again in the afternoon. One hit on a pink hootchie which we missed, and that was it. Calm seas but cold in the fog today. Much better on Wednesday, but then the weather always seems better when you catch a fish.:)

Fished from 6am-noon not a sniff. Freaking ugly fishing out there. This was my best week last year. :(

Maybe they will come soon.

-KK

pulled the boat out of pedder, they're not coming, it's the end of august. But I did see 2 fish in the 20's on the cleaning table as I was walking down the dock, so there must be a few around, not enough to keep me interested though.

7-1 today...boo hoo, boo hoo...no fish. Woe is me!

Hey if they don't show up this year...does that mean they are gone forever...or will they just sneak by later?

It totally sucks not getting any love out there!

Well the crew did good today we manged 5 springs in total but again had to work for them and it was 1 here 1 there but got them and by the look of the fish they are fresh and different from what ive been getting... who knows maybe more are coming yet....
Still better than being at home doing stuff for the wife isnt it??? LOL

Still better than being at home doing stuff for the wife isnt it??? LOL

Depends what stuff needs doing....wink, wink, nudge, nudge; say no more.

Fished 6:30 - 1
18 pound long skinny spring and a 6 pound sockeye. Found them both deeper (90 feet)
Not much going on out there had another hit and caught another that was probably legal but it was just small...

6-11:30 at Otter to catch low slack. Thick thick fog for most of the time! Lots of bait on sounder especially about an hour after slack but no bites. Tried anchovy at 45-60 ft. Streak is at 20:(

8-2 today. One smash that got to the boat just west of sheringham. Got a good look as it spat the hook very gently at me. Looked real dark and big- thinking around 30ish. Skunked.

I was up at Renfrew today --not fishing but DOING STUFF FOR THE WIFE!! lol (getting some slate for garden paths) and stopped in to talk to Bob Gallaugher. He said the beach has been better for the past couple of days and more sockeye have been showing up from the test seiner at Bonilla--2000 yesterday, 1200 today--so perhaps there are a few more fish coming our way.
T2

I am not a gloom and doom person by nature but in the case of the 2014 sockeye run we are just about done without ever really getting started. The test fishery numbers don't lie. On a day to day basis this year's west coast test fishery is catching only 10% of the sockeye that were caught in 2010. We may get a little bump in the next few days but that's it.

Another good day with 6 nice springs out of 8. Best action was around noon when it was one after another for us. Also 3 beauty hatch Coho with the largest 10 pounds. That 10 pound coho put up an awesome battle that reminded me of what coho did when I was a kid! Had one coho that we kinda purposely get off....it had been attacked by some marine mammal and had some nasty wounds..surprised it was still swimming.

Last edited by a moderator:
THEY are coming they are coming renfrew has more fish showing relax people its only aug 22nd gggeeezzzz

I am not a gloom and doom person by nature but in the case of the 2014 sockeye run we are just about done without ever really getting started. The test fishery numbers don't lie. On a day to day basis this year's west coast test fishery is catching only 10% of the sockeye that were caught in 2010. We may get a little bump in the next few days but that's it.
You're right on with the numbers--the seiners on the inside are getting 10 times the sockeye numbers as the guy at Bonilla. I thought I'd mention it as we might, as you say, "get a little bump" over the weekend.
T2

Back