Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Hey wolf do you have a good anchovi brine recipe?? That you would want to share? I buy the fire brine brand and it sometime make the anchovi soft if in there too long. Any help would be appriceated!!!

It's awesome you guys are getting out in yaks it must feel great landing salmon fishing that way. What a reward for a lot of effort! I'd like to give it a try someday.

What do you guys do when the fog rolls through? Head for shore I hope.

If I'm fishing Otter in the fog I stay tight tight to the beach, out of everyone's way. Usually I go and launch in Becher Bay if it's foggy in the strait and avoid it altogether--I don't fancy becoming a speed bump. Becher usually stays clear.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Verchy, sweet report. Can't wait for my son to land a slab like that...and if I lose a big fish...I kinda hope it fights enough to break my rod!

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW-Wolfie--does your "Blue Wolf special sauce" have any blue agave in it?!

None of that but I have invented something that makes the bait very good to me thats the secret having GOOD bait...
Im out today so ill post my findings later for you boys...

Good luck Wolf

Since there aren't a great deal updates showing up I thought Id add my last couple trips.
Friday July 4th - fished about 6:30 to 11:30 - hit 4 - got the limit of 3 over 67 - 25,25,20. all of them an hour and a bit apart, anchovies, bloody nose w red flasher, all of them between 50-80 on the rigger

Tuesday July 8 - fished 6:00 to 11:00 - hit 8 - got the limit of 3 over 67 (I cant find anything small...) - 16,15,11, all 3 hit between 9-11, anchovies, bloody nose w red flasher, blue teaser w betsy, all of them between 50-80 on the rigger. Amazing part is that the fish still were hitting after the whales rolled through.

Fished west both days.

PS key is as wolf puts it...good bait which leads to a good roll

Since there aren't a great deal updates showing up I thought Id add my last couple trips.
Friday July 4th - fished about 6:30 to 11:30 - hit 4 - got the limit of 3 over 67 - 25,25,20. all of them an hour and a bit apart, anchovies, bloody nose w red flasher, all of them between 50-80 on the rigger

Tuesday July 8 - fished 6:00 to 11:00 - hit 8 - got the limit of 3 over 67 (I cant find anything small...) - 16,15,11, all 3 hit between 9-11, anchovies, bloody nose w red flasher, blue teaser w betsy, all of them between 50-80 on the rigger. Amazing part is that the fish still were hitting after the whales rolled through.

Fished west both days.

PS key is as wolf puts it...good bait which leads to a good roll

Picture is from June 27ths - 33 pounder

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 567
Well...the anchovies got me a little closer to yakking a salmon this morning. Thought Tsquared was the lucky charm as my first bite came just as we met up out on the water.

Out for 3 hrs between 9:30 and 12:30 around the west side of Otter Point. More fish on the sounder today at least...all shallow. Got 2 good bites at 30 feet on the DR that quickly came to nothing but I'm encouraged. Trolling the anchovies in bloody nose teaser head behind Mini Hotspot flasher.

Sooke-skunk streak goes to 7.

Fished Monday 10-5ish for hali west of otter. lots of doggys and Lots of rays! one chicken.
Got flagged down passing otter on my way home, a guy saying the bite was on, but ran outa bait. Unfortunately I only had hali bait. When he showed us his hog he just caught (looked 20lbs+) we couldnt resist the urge to turn around and fish otter for "just a few passes"... Couple hours later we got a mid teens in 120ft water. 91ft down. trolling FAST. Lost one. The waves started breaking over the bow, so we went in when the fishing was still decent :(

Heading to secretary this evening

I stayed until about 2:30 at 2nd and 3rd rock and just to the west of there but only had 2 wild coho come to the boat, no springers. Sure was a nice day to be yakkin tho. Nice to see you C-J. Next time for both of us. Who is the new deckhand that Wolf has hired? the skinny guy in the blue shirt.
T2

LOL thanks Tom THATS just me(now)........ yes saw both you out there today was a bit slow manged 3 on and lost them all BUT i can tell you the COHO are here... got into quite a few of them and got 2 hatchery they are about 5 lbs or so. the half chrome/brass coho killer was the hot ticket for them and a spring, Day off tommorw working on the new cedar deck again then out for a lot in a row ill keep you informed..

Good luck Wolf

Was out today as well, just like wolf we also had 3 springs on and lost the first 2 before we boated the last which was a fiesty 30.3. Thanx wolf for moving out of the way when the fish was running. Lots of crap in he water to deal with today which made for lots of checks.

NO problem I gave you lots off room I know what its like when you get a fish on and a guy doesnt move I just turned away and let the tide carry me back so I was moving away from you...or most times ill turn right around and do a loop and come back on the same tact line alot of times when I do turn around I pick up a fish as well, there is lots of room out there people just have to be aware out there thats all.
congrats on the fish!!!!

Wolf

Fished Monday 10-5ish for hali west of otter. lots of doggys and Lots of rays! one chicken.
Got flagged down passing otter on my way home, a guy saying the bite was on, but ran outa bait. Unfortunately I only had hali bait. When he showed us his hog he just caught (looked 20lbs+) we couldnt resist the urge to turn around and fish otter for "just a few passes"... Couple hours later we got a mid teens in 120ft water. 91ft down. trolling FAST. Lost one. The waves started breaking over the bow, so we went in when the fishing was still decent :(

Heading to secretary this evening

that fish turn out to be 30lb smile

Fabulous hot flat calm day with no fog so decided to head for Sheringham again. Maybe 6 boats there when we arrived at 7:30am. Fished for over four hours without a touch and saw only one fish boated. Around 11:30am got a very small clipped coho. Around noon had a decent hit at 96’ in 105’ of water and got the fish to the boat where it flirted with the net and then took off again, never to return. Fish was probably high teens. By then everyone had left so we fished on until 3:00pm without further disturbance from other boats or the fish. Long session in the end and technically a skunking (does a small coho count…LOL:)). First time that has happened to us at Sheringham……..not that we fish there often.

Back at Sunny Shores Foghorn Charters had put up a 33lb fish on the board today to go with the 32lb fish he caught last week. No idea where he fished, but I have no doubt had we fished where ever he was we would not have caught it!!;)

Released a high teens today and missed another decent fish right after. Both around noon at aldridge. 69ft anchovy purple haze purple haze.

-KK

Caught a few coho (wild) and one nice sockeye around Secretary late afternoon today. Might have had a chinook but that got taken, along with the flasher, by a seal.

I can see the bottom of my freezer, NEED MEAT! Headed out again tomorrow.

First time out this year, fished Possession Pt to Bluffs 2 to 6 pm. Used anchovies in jdf green frog teaser/purple onion flasher and bloody nose with Silver Betsy at 67 ft and 77 ft. Two clipped coho 5/6 lbs and several that did not get to the boat. One spring that was probably 10 lbs that did not make it to the net. Also had a couple of hits on white hootchie later in the day. Did not see any nets out but one boat at the dock said they got one good spring.

Back