Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Thanks Englishman. I was joking about thinking I would have salmon fishing down. Even when I don't catch fish I am enjoying being out there learning. Out tomorrow for another try. Bringing a farmer friend. They say bring lucky people fishing with you and he is one lucky guy. Any thoughts on leader length?

Try 28-34" on a hootchie, I had great luck last weekend, went through about 20 fish ended up with 4 hatch and 2 wild coho 10.2lb, 9.6lb weighed in at the derby, and another 9,8,8,7 to take home. It sucks catching an even bigger wild coho after you already have your 2 bonked wilds in the boat =(

Here are a couple pics from Monday. One of the fish was just packed full on anchovies and a little salmon! Enjoy

ysy3uqu3.jpg

tu2uzuby.jpg
pudejeju.jpg

Those smaller bait fish inside are herring not anchovies. I have never caught a spring with a wild anchovy in it here. Has anyone else?

-KK

Not often but yes you do find anchovies here once in awhile. There was a time when the Victoria dockyard guys used to get them in the graving dock when they drained it to work on a ship. Free bait and also some nice salmon went to the crews. Have seen schools of anchovies myself in Nootka Sound swimming around the lodge.

So much for my lucky guy to take fishing. Woke to a call from him saying that his water heater blew up so he is out.
Thanks jmasta. I will try that leader lenght with a hoochy today. Just the Arima and me today. I will post results.

I can remember one chinook I caught in renfrew that had an anchovy in its stomach. However it looked so perfect and just identical to the Rhys Davis I thought maybe it was a discarded bait from another boat that the salmon scooped up.

Years ago a kid was jigging them off cougar creek dock and selling them to the fisherman. He had a waiting list because the fresh bait was way better than frozen ,same size but the colour is differn't.

Well I guess I have figured this fishing thing out. LOL. Caught a lot of fish. Two hatchery, 9 pounds wild 12 pounds. Released many fish including three Feeder springs at 95ft. Coho on army truck hoochy and army truck teaser head and anchovies. 35 ft and 55 ft. Short leader. Fishing off church

Trolled around Sooke waters the last few days and had spotty action. No rhyme or reason; tide lines, 500" bottom or in close (secretary island/harbour mouth), fishing surface or 130", fast or slow, hoochies, plugs, spoons, coho killer... the action ranged from double headers to hours without a shaker. The only consistent thing were the humpbacks, East winds, and consensus that Harper is short sighted.

coho

I dont see any reports for today yet ? anyone out today? any report would be appreciated .. are they all up the rivers now? Is there any sense in giving it another try? thanx.........C.A..

I dont see any reports for today yet ? anyone out today? any report would be appreciated .. are they all up the rivers now? Is there any sense in giving it another try? thanx.........C.A..

Out today from about 3 to 5.... Couple of shakers and 3 real bites, all on bait. Converted two, a nice fat wild about 9 lbs and a slightly smaller and super bright Chum (see pic). 75-85 feet, no bites on the shallower lines but they were artificials.... trolled out to about 500 feet but the fish were in about 300 towards secretary. Saw at least two other fish on so I guess it is not entirely over. Will be out again tomorrow with the Nephew... today was a recce to see if it was worth while.

Put the crab trap just outside the spit to try to work out why nobody else does.... and found out.....

Attachments

• DSCN1596.jpg
    DSCN1596.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 450
New to the forum, just signed up today. Was out by myself today from 9:30 till 1:00. Caught 2 6lb springs. Trolling in 500ish feet of water from a point south of race rocks to secretary island. 68' and 99' on the girliest looking pink, purple and white hoochies that my 5 year old daughter picked out for me.

I hear HALLILAMMA took out man hunter and got into 9ish or something...

Take it for what its worth ;)

fished in between 200 to 300 feet close to Sooke Harbour...had to work hard for the tiny pockets of fish. Results for me, and other buddies were 12 pound coho, 8.5 pound coho, and 6 pound winter spring. Found the fish in deeper water of 60` to 120.` Spoons, and anchovies were the choice yesterday!

Seeing two humpback whales showing off water sprays and their `V` shaped tails flipping around was bonus on our fishing trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the 09:30-13:30

We tried chasing the humpies in between the ho's

Gunna run the canner tomorrow.

Rubber, 50-90'..

Today was a little more action packed than I expected..:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty good day out from Church and Race today. Soon as we stopped to drop lines at 11am a whale surface about 40' from the boat. They seemed to be everywhere today. Don't know if it's the same couple of humpbacks circling the area or if more have moved in. Managed 2 feeder chinooks and 3 coho, all on bait around 100'. Grabbed a small bait ball of 4" herring and caught the biggest fish of the day, 10lb coho with fresh bait. They're bellies were full of these small bait today. Guess that's why the whales were working the area. Birds everywhere, following the whales.

Out today for a trip then pulled the boat home. Still good numbers of nice Coho out there. Picked up some fresh bait which worked well as it normally does with Coho. Spoons also worked. 50-100 feet

pretty good day out from Church and Race today. Soon as we stopped to drop lines at 11am a whale surface about 40' from the boat. They seemed to be everywhere today. Don't know if it's the same couple of humpbacks circling the area or if more have moved in. Managed 2 feeder chinooks and 3 coho, all on bait around 100'. Grabbed a small bait ball of 4" herring and caught the biggest fish of the day, 10lb coho with fresh bait. They're bellies were full of these small bait today. Guess that's why the whales were working the area. Birds everywhere, following the whales.

Good to hear Pro. Can you share where you were? Thanks for he lure and depth hints. I'm taking a buddy from Ottawa out on Thursday and Friday. I'm hoping I an find a few for him.

Bluffs/tin shed area, 200 to 350 feet in and out..best early on the last of the flood but ok on the ebb too

Back