Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Slow today fished out from Beecher from 9-3. Sloppy out there til the tide changed to ebb after noon, then only 2 bites of the day which produced 2 wild coho to 8 lbs. Both fish off the Bedfords on bait 70' & 110'. A best action was back at Cheanuh ramp when this guy managed to back his van in the water.

Attachments

• cheanuh ramp.jpg
    cheanuh ramp.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 492
Same report as everyone else yesterday. 2 coho to the boat and a bunch of shakers.
Big change from Saturday with about 25 fish to boat.
Here today... gone tomorrow.
Coho should be around for a bit yet just going to be in waves.

SE wind against the flood yesterday made it pretty sloppy out there.

Tips

similar report as above for yesterday ...headed way out from secretary almost to shippping lanes to join quite a number of other hopefuls...fished for approx 2 hours only saw one net out in that time.. waves whipped up ...fished in closer to about 150ft. got a double header landed 1 wild and lost the other .. then called it a day .... please keep the reports coming wonder how long they will be there would like to try again... cheers c.a.

Fished off sooke in the shipping lanes on sunday for about 6 hrs. would not get a bite for an hour or so , then usally a double header or more then repeat. Kept 3 wilds 10,12, 15 realeased maybe 6 ,lost alot and no hatcheries.

Outfitters recent reports stated a 28 lb coho got caught Oct 1st is out front between bluffs and trailer park is that a typo? That would be a record for that area, so assume it was a misprint..... I am sure I would see photos everywhere... That is one big coho if true.

I read that as well, wow
that is one big HO !

Strange day on the water today. Fished 9:45am till 2:00pm and got a hit at 78 feet in the first five minutes. Lost that fish and spent the next two hours trying to drum up a bite but got nothing except for two shakers. Searched and covered a lot of ground in that time from way out in 600 feet, in to Secretary and back.

Finally on the troll back out got at hit on a glow white hootch at 135 feet (6lb unclipped) and promptly got another (8lb unclipped), same lure, same depth 20 minutes later. Strangely, also got and released a small unclipped on an Apex that was partly retrieved and dead in the water while we landed the 8lb’der.

The glow white at 135 feet continued it’s streak and we go four more hits in the next 90 minutes but could not make anything more stick. Two we felt going hard for a few seconds before they came off. I hope they were all unclipped - I'm sure they were!! :cool:

Beauty day on the water, with light east wind from time to time making a short chop.

Unfortunately, we forgot to raise the main engine at the ramp. First time we have ever done that! I bent the fin below the prop and scarred and dented the edge. I am expecting a LARGE repair bill. :( Ah well it’s only money!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, we forgot to raise the main engine at the ramp. First time we have ever done that! I bent the fin below the prop and scarred and dented the edge. I am expecting a LARGE repair bill. :( Ah well it’s only money!!;)

Congrats on the fish English. Sorry to hear about the fin. I've forgotten to tilt up before, but I've always to away with it. Your sort reminds me I should be a little more diligent.

Strange day on the water today. Fished 9:45am till 2:00pm and got a hit at 78 feet in the first five minutes. Lost that fish and spent the next two hours trying to drum up a bite but got nothing except for two shakers. Searched and covered a lot of ground in that time from way out in 600 feet, in to Secretary and back.

Finally on the troll back out got at hit on a glow white hootch at 135 feet (6lb unclipped) and promptly got another (8lb unclipped), same lure, same depth 20 minutes later. Strangely, also got and released a small unclipped on an Apex that was partly retrieved and dead in the water while we landed the 8lb’der.

The glow white at 135 feet continued it’s streak and we go four more hits in the next 90 minutes but could not make anything more stick. Two we felt going hard for a few seconds before they came off. I hope they were all unclipped - I'm sure they were!! :cool:

Beauty day on the water, with light east wind from time to time making a short chop.

Sorry to hear Roland. You may want to consider this Roland. http://skeggard.com/ I have never used one, but have heard some good things about them.

You might not need to fix the skeg. Look into it first it might just be cosmetic. Sand it smooth maybe a little paint and your good to go. Leaving a scar on the skeg will help remind you next time.

You might not need to fix the skeg. Look into it first it might just be cosmetic. Sand it smooth maybe a little paint and your good to go. Leaving a scar on the skeg will help remind you next time.

I agree. I hit a pinnacle a couple of years ago and took out a chunk of my skeg and maybe bent it a tad. I thought it had to made perfect again, but did some Internet research and spoke to some skeg repair guys and learned that is not the case. In most cases, even pretty significant skeg damage will not affect performance. The skeg's function is only to protect the propellor - it's unrelated to performance of the motor or steering. I got over it and my motor runs and steers fine. The costs involved in running and repairing a boat keep me from getting too concerned about things that don't matter. It's a fishing boat. I really care only about performance, reliability and safety. Appearance is virtually irrelevant, and is definitely irrelevant for things like a beat up skeg and the patchy bottom paint that was on the boat when I got it and is still there (I trailer the boat). No one has ever commented on either; they just tell me that my Double Eagle is a great fishing boat.

You may want to consider a Skeg Guard, usually made out of Stainless Steel, covers broken skegs, and looks good, if you car about the looks
Stosh

Sorry to hear Roland. You may want to consider this Roland. http://skeggard.com/ I have never used one, but have heard some good things about them.
I agree. I hit a pinnacle a couple of years ago and took out a chunk of my skeg and maybe bent it a tad. I thought it had to made perfect again, but did some Internet research and spoke to some skeg repair guys and learned that is not the case. In most cases, even pretty significant skeg damage will not affect performance. The skeg's function is only to protect the propellor - it's unrelated to performance of the motor or steering. I got over it and my motor runs and steers fine. The costs involved in running and repairing a boat keep me from getting too concerned about things that don't matter. It's a fishing boat. I really care only about performance, reliability and safety. Appearance is virtually irrelevant, and is definitely irrelevant for things like a beat up skeg and the patchy bottom paint that was on the boat when I got it and is still there (I trailer the boat). No one has ever commented on either; they just tell me that my Double Eagle is a great fishing boat.
You may want to consider a Skeg Guard, usually made out of Stainless Steel, covers broken skegs, and looks good, if you car about the looks
Stosh

Thx guys. Lots of good info’ here. I may adopt the “do nothing” approach. Skeg is not broken but probably bent enough to prevent Skeg guard going on anyway. I will paint it up and check out steering. If OK I will leave it as if I try and bend it back could crack or break.

And now……back to fishing reports!!:eek:

Out with my 85 year old father yesterday. Launched at Beecher and motored to secretary 500 ft water. Motored around there then back to church. Dragging anchovies then metal then army truck hoochy. He lost one and cleared two shakers but that was it. I was sure that after a month of owning a boat I would have gotten this catching salmon thing down. I will give it a try again tomorrow before buying my fish from the grocery store like the smart people. Any words of wisdom other than "get them to double wrap your fish"

Out with my 85 year old father yesterday. Launched at Beecher and motored to secretary 500 ft water. Motored around there then back to church. Dragging anchovies then metal then army truck hoochy. He lost one and cleared two shakers but that was it. I was sure that after a month of owning a boat I would have gotten this catching salmon thing down. I will give it a try again tomorrow before buying my fish from the grocery store like the smart people. Any words of wisdom other than "get them to double wrap your fish"
A month! Your were optimistic!! I am in year four of boat ownership and I'm still figuring it out.
At the moment the coho are slowing down. Last Thursday was awesome, but yesterday not so good. I understand from chat on here the coho come in waves so there could be another hot day or two before it is over.
Then in December the winter chinooks start but that is another story......and as for summer chinooks.......that is a veritable saga of learning to get that right!! I'm still plodding up the learning curve myself...:D

heard from some of the hali boys VERY slow was good 3 weeks ago when we had some ebb tides ...flood tides not so good

Here are a couple pics from Monday. One of the fish was just packed full on anchovies and a little salmon! Enjoy

ysy3uqu3.jpg

tu2uzuby.jpg
pudejeju.jpg

Back