Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

What kind of depth are you guys fishing at now? I was out at the trap last Sat and had nothing but pinks. I would like to go out near otter this weekend and target some big spring? Suggestions on depth, flasher colors, lures, etc would be appreciated.
I think there are big fish all over the Sooke area, pinks out west too, some days there are many some days not so much. To stay out of the Pinks I try to fish in close to shore in the Morning and generally deeper in the day( but not always!). I am no expert and I go through alot of Bait on some days. Colours are a personal decision. Spoons are working for Springs, biggest fish ive had this year was on a Spoon. Good Luck Driller Nice Fish Addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is a report almost a limits of pinks and 8 springs today fro 2 guide boats working, nothing big 10 to 18 lbers for the springs and most of them hatchery with lots of spots????, So you say there isnt fish in sooke well here is a pic for you nows the time to take a kid fishing the little boy i had on the boat today had a blast bet you he reeled in 15 fish himself as lots were lost it was his first ever time fishing and got a nice fat little spring he loved it thats what its all about

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,064
Got 1 hatcheryspring at 7:30 this morning at possenion point 80ft down on a anchovie, later that day got 2 pinks and 1 hatchery coho at otter on a green hooche 35ft down, and released a lot of wild coho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be out tomorrow. I'm taking 3 kids with me for some action. What's the word? Otter or beechy? Probably wont matter either way. Just gotta get out early to beat the winds I guess.

I'd do west.... the winds look good for the morning... mind, the fog will prolly mess with that.

Unless you want a bunch of humpies. Then as you were

Was a bit lumpy out west this morning. Buddy and I were in a sooke derby fishing otter. ALL the big fish were hatch, and some were pretty bigish!
Thanks yankees!

Was a bit lumpy out west this morning. Buddy and I were in a sooke derby fishing otter. ALL the big fish were hatch, and some were pretty bigish!
Thanks yankees!
Took guests in the derby out as well. Very rough in the Trap with a strong wind blowing the same direction as the tide was running. Trolled at 4K in one direction with engine barely turning over and 0.5 K with engine running hard and rigger cables going straight back when trolling in the other direction. Conditions difficult to say the least. Managed one 8lb chinook and some pinks for the guests and that was it.
Did not know July was known for so many very windy days on JDF, but apparently it is this year!

Also Volunteered the boat to the Consultants Derby for salmon enhancement fund raising. As it was bumpy did not want to travel so we stayed out front off the harbor and got 3 springs 7, 12.5 and 15.4 and some big pinks. Rather gratifying to help someone catch their first Chinook that made some runs for them. Two Chinook caught on Anchovies and one on plastic. Worst part was not being able to see all the kelp in that slop and running into it, especially while playing fish.

Another great event for a good cause; well done guys. Hard to go wrong with a good band, food and free beer.

Skippered too in the Consultants Derby. Red Hot had a great day! We wrestled a 29 and a 25 into the boat for the 2nd and 6th largest salmon. And many pinks - some quite large! A good morning bite at the trap. Saw a bunch more landed there between 5 and 7 AM. Ride out of Sooke Harbour first thing was borderline for a small boat but once past Possession it was fishable east.
Lots of bait between Secretary and Aldridge. And good number of springs taking advantage of it. On Fri also 2 springs at the trap in the morning - just smaller. Also got a nice clipped Coho on Fri but that was the only Coho in 2 days. Wonder where all the Cohos from earlier went?

" Wonder where all the Cohos from earlier went?"
Back west to fatten up--same as last year.
T2

Also skippered a crew in Consultants Derby. 3 springs up to 17 lb, 1 hatch ho and 3 pinks.
Bite for springs was early.
First time at this event for me. Great event. Well put together with good food, good venue and good people.
Great job guys.

Tips

Landed a 28lb. Spring today. First of the year for me and only my second time on the water this year. Good day fishing out there today!

Still lots of fish around guys i had in consultants left very happy with 4 springs and coho and pinks even a tyee pink LOL
12 lber. unfortunately have to say today was a bit slower but still got some fish. nice day though get out there and take a kid fishing!!!!

Wolf

Has there been any changes to FN 0059? I see it was in effect till July 19. Has anything changed over weekend? Apologies but haven't fished Sooke this year and will be there next weekend.

Has there been any changes to FN 0059? I see it was in effect till July 19. Has anything changed over weekend? Apologies but haven't fished Sooke this year and will be there next weekend.

Two Chinook per day either clipped or unclipped and no slot size restriction as long as they are over 45cm as of June 20th. In short we finally have our fishery back. Strange that DFO stuck us with such a huge expansion of the slot through two thirds of July in what appears to be a banner year with lots of Chinook available. Hopefully we will get it pushed back next year.

Was out today, Off the Trap shack...Got One spring 15 lbs and lost another right beside the baot....Alot of pinks out there. The best depth's that I was using was around (52' to 60'). Weather was nice, NO FOG....
See you out there!!!

Fished 5-10am ish at otter yesterday. 3 springs looked like all in the low to mid teens, only got one in the boat. All at 50ish ft with bait. Coho were nasty first thing in the morning, I put my first line down, started setting the second, and got a coho on the first line, went to deal with it and a coho took my other lines bait which was following behing the boat no closer than 8 feet! the rod was just laying on the deck, not even in a holder... Learned a little lesson that morning :) I didn't loose the rod, But Now I know coho arnt boat shy, At all!!
finished the day with a limit of pinks in about 4-500 ft for the smoker. Great day!

When we were out battling pinks I hooked into one salmon that got off right at the swimgrid. I didn't know what is was, The top looked almost brown? A chum? what does a steelhead look like in the chuck?
It was very dark and brown on the top. but it got off while it was squirming around, So I didn't get a look at the tail...

Back