Sonar tips

coholips

Just wondering if there are "universal" settings that should always be used while trolling. Does anyone adjust the chart speed? If so how does this affect the details. I'm assuming Garmin's, Eagles, Lowrances, and Humminbirds are all pretty similar in operation. Hopefully this isn't classified as a dumb question![/size=4]

quote:Originally posted by spring time

put it on the simulator mode then sit back and what all the fish go by

Yea, simulator mode shows all the hidden fish.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Aaah yes..... this it what sets the men apart from the boys LOL

Learn to use the equipment to your advantage. No two are set up the same. Depends what you are looking for. Do not rely on the little fish cartoons. Look for bottom structure and baitfish. Deciphering these details will up your chances of encountering feeding fish.

There are no universal settings. Wish there was a short cut but no go I am afraid.

Good luck

quote:Originally posted by coholips
Just wondering if there are "universal" settings that should always be used while trolling. Does anyone adjust the chart speed? If so how does this affect the details. I'm assuming Garmin's, Eagles, Lowrances, and Humminbirds are all pretty similar in operation. Hopefully this isn't classified as a dumb question

Check this out. I think there's some information in here you can use.

http://www.hookedoncatfish.com/LowranceTips.html

You don't say what brand sonar you have. I set my LCX112C with BBS with the chart speed and ping speed at 100%. I adjust the colorline so I'm starting to get yellow on the bottom. I also turn off both the Surface Clarity and Noise Rejection and set the Sonar presets as Slow Trolling.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Thanks a lot Slabby this is all I was asking for. I run an EAGLE FishElite 642C iGPS and just wanted to make sure I was getting the most out of it. This replaced my 20 year old Lowrance so I'm in a bit of a learning curve. Thanks to other poster's for their witty sarcasm. I hope to be a man some day!

start up simulator mode. then, start messin' with the settings and see how the picture changes. that catfish guy was fishing i shallow water, how many of you are fising in 6' of water? once the depth increases, it becomes harder and harder to pick out those sorts of targets. keep in mind that the echo from a 'fish' is caused by the swim bladder. larger echo, larger bladder, larger fish. we also have a great deal of suspended stuff in the strait and as you increase the sensitivity settings, you get great images of kelp and whatever else if floating around. simulator mode, then see how your changes impact the display, a great and easy way to learn how to control you sonar.

Increase the font so you can see the depth from the back of the boat.
Check to see if you have ”fresh/salt water” setting in the FF.
If it does, the default can be fresh.
Find out how to “reset back to defaults” if you mess up.
Calibrate bottom where it important to you, shallow or deep.
Turn on alarms when you fish alone.
Bring the manual in your daypack; the index is your friend.

We all learn by doing.:)
GLG

No wit intended. Sarcasm , no. I was simply stating that you will have to learn your own methods concerning your equipment. Telling you how I set my Ray marine would do no good.

I appologize and my response was not intended to offend anyone.

" the men from the boys" comment was simply an anecdote.

Sounds like you got some good info anyways from the other guys.

Cheers

HL

i do love how all the examples are set up in pretty shallow water and show these glorious 'arches'. sort of falls apart in 60fathoms, but pay attention anyway 'cause the bottom detail and those suspended fish still show up.

quote:Originally posted by highlights

No wit intended. Sarcasm , no. I was simply stating that you will have to learn your own methods concerning your equipment. Telling you how I set my Ray marine would do no good.

I appologize and my response was not intended to offend anyone.

" the men from the boys" comment was simply an anecdote.

Sounds like you got some good info anyways from the other guys.

Cheers

HL
Hey highlights no offence taken, I kinda felt like I may have set myself up for some ribbing....:D Anyways at the end of the day this forum always come through with some great info and valuable tips for all to use! I look forward to tweaking my new sonar and using it to its fullest capabilities.
Cheers back at ya
[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

quote:Originally posted by spring time

put it on the simulator mode then sit back and what all the fish go by

Yea, simulator mode shows all the hidden fish.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Sorry coho, I tried, but I absolutely could not resist![:p]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

In my experience unless you have a larger or higher end unit with high enough pixel resolution (i.e. 800 x 600 pixels or more) you will not see many fish arches (i.e. real fish, not fish symbols), especially in saltwater over 60 ft.

IMHO if you can't see real fish arches then all your sounder does is show you where bottom is and baitfish. Which is fine. The bottom line, like others have said here, is that you have to take the time to experiment with your unit to get the most out of it.

Long live wild salmon!!!

So along this line -- I've got a question for you guys.

On Sunday I went out off the Victoria waterfront and was fishing in 90-140 feet of water and my Sonar would not hold the bottom at all. It was either telling me the depths were 180ft plus, or 3ft -- was very odd. I've seen this sort of thing before and wonder if it's due to gunk in the water? Later in the day I headed out to Constance Bank and the Sonar readings were perfect.

Now my unit is early 2000's vintage (Lowrance LCX104c) and only has a 50khz transducer (mounted on the transom) -- not sure if a dual frequency transducer (50/200khz) would make a difference. I do find that I rarely mark fish below 50ft and it never holds the bottom when I am on plane.

Anyone else see this sort of thing? Would a dual frequency transducer improve performance?

TenMile
<'((((><

yes, that happens frequently particularly as you move past or through the tidal rip areas as the floating vegetation tends to ball up and compact. your sonar is probably working just fine but the mass below you is too dense to actually ping the true bottom.

a dual frequency transducer might help hold the bottom in deeper water but what you described sounds more like floating stuff you are running over. holding bottom at speed >30k has a great deal to do with just how your transducer is mounted and what cavitation it is seeing off the bottom of your hull. this can be really frustrating as changing the setup requires taking the boat out, moving it up or down a scoch and trying again.

my dual frequency works well up to about 200' at speed then looses the bottom completely. at slower speeds it holds the bottom no matter what. i am still toying with the idea of an inhull epoxied in place second transducer but will probably do another season with the single transom mounted unit.

anyone have any pics of their Inhull epoxied/siliconed whatever? in place transducer? Seriously thinking of going that way.
How well does it work?

Found this: Mounting Depth Finder Transducers Inside the Hull
by Tom Neale

Manufacturers frequently recommend using epoxy or similar substance if you decide to bond a transducer to the inside of the hull. They want you to use something that will set up without bubbles or voids, and that has no filler material. We never use this epoxy. If you find that you've mounted the transducer in a bad place in the hull (and you won't really know this until you start running) you're going to have a very difficult time moving it without damaging it if you've used epoxy.

We prefer to build a water box. It's relatively easy to do, the "bond" from the transducer to the hull is much better than it would be with epoxy, and you can move a water box if needed. What you use and how you do it depends upon the location and access. Usually we simply cut the bottom out of a yogurt container (or something similar), contour it, if necessary, to the hull, and seal it to the hull with a product such silicone sealant. You must remove any paint or grease that may be on the inside hull surface to obtain a good seal in that spot. We then just fill it with water and put the transducer inside. You want the transducer to be pointing down with as little variation as possible, so a container not much larger than the transducer, or the use of some other method to stabilize it, will help. Water will evaporate from the box eventually, requiring replacement. It will last longer if you cut a slit for the transducer wire in the top of the container and put the top back on the container. This will also help to support the container walls.

Location is key. It's best if the transducer is reading through a section of hull that is relatively thin and that has no voids. Thicker areas are normally found around stringers and joints, such as those where the transom and hulls join the bottom. Avoid areas where there are build ups of fiberglass tape laid around structure features. Flat planes usually give the best results. Obviously, you can't know in advance whether voids in the hull laminate exist. Tapping may give a clue if the void is large, but small voids will also interfere with your reading. They can occur in the best built boats.

It's also important that there be as little turbulence under the transducer as possible. This can be caused by many different structural or other characteristics of an outer hull surface, and the effect of a particular characteristic on turbulence can vary with speed and sea state. These are reasons why we never epoxy our transducers to the hull, and prefer to not mount them through the hull. We've found that we never really know the best location for a transducer until after we've used it under way in varying conditions.

Some manufacturers recommend against a material such as Life Calk or silicone sealant for bonding the transducer to the inside of the hull. There is greater likelihood of air pockets as the sealant sets up and it isn't as good a transmitter of the sound waves as is epoxy or water. However, we've used this successfully for temporary tests of hull locations. If you use these products, try to get as thin a layer as possible between the transducer face and the hull, and carefully mash out any air pockets. Beware that if performance isn't optimal using these sealants for testing purposes, part of the problem may stem from the use of the sealant itself. But the transducer will usually work well enough with such a sealant to let you know whether you've got a really bad area of hull. If you've found a good area, they it's easy to remove the sealant and install a water box over the spot.

See Tom's Tips in his cruising section on www.boatus.com for information about why you might want to have a water box inside the hull, instead of a thru-hull installation and for important East Coast Alerts.

my hull is a single thickness of aluminum. i had an inhull epoxied transducer in my previous ride, also aluminum. i don't know how well this would work in a fiberglass hulled boat.

Back