Some Advice on Telegraph Cove

I am looking to expand my horizons this year and try some place new. I was thinking about trying out Telegraph Cove Resort and would like some feedback.

Thanks

The fishing can be hit and miss if your there when the fish are it’s game on. If you pick a bad week it can be very slow. There are bottom fishing opportunities but you have to look for them.

The docks at the resort are not well maintained and most of the slips are to small for anything over 20ft and the rows are very tight making getting in and out an adventure especially since everybody stores there outboards in the up position

The campsite is nice and normally not that full, lots of German tourist.

If you looking at telegraph, check out alder bay campground and marina, I prefer staying there.

Like mentioned, fishing can be hit or miss, depending on timing. Some years you put in long hours and fish hard, others it seems to easy. I really enjoy the area up there.

Note that if it’s slow or you want to take a day trip, we often trailer to port Alice and make the run out to winter harbour. If you do this, check the weather first as that dictates where you fish.

I too prefer Alder Bay to Telegraph Cove - but there's no hotel accommodation at AB as it is primarily an RV/Camping resort. They do, however, have a few RV's available to rent. There's a good boat launch and about 40 or so slips that fill up quickly. Good idea to book well ahead for them.

As fishing goes - last two weeks of July, 1st week August is usually most consistant I had found - north side of Malcolm Island usually produced well for us - slide, Lizard, Black Bluffs preferred. Bottom fish as said can be tough but you can troll up halibut on the bottom at the slide while fishing for salmon - thats a nice bonus. We were able to find lings off south end of West Cracroft as well but have to watch the RCAs and work between them.

We have one of the permanent campsites at Telegraph Cove and as some of the other posters have said fishing ,like everywhere , can be hit and miss ,other than that it is a great place to hang out for the summer . we spent 4 months there last year. Could the docks be better, sure, could the line at the fuel dock be shorter, sure , Lots of spots for boat larger than 20' . With all the amenities there fuel , restraunt, pub, hotel, whale museum, grisly tours, whale tours, 120 campsites, laundry, showers we believe it is a magical place and have looks forward to finally spending our retirement summers there since the first time we went there in 2001. If you make it up there come and say hi at campsite #26.

Telegraph Cove has two ramps but you need to watch the tides. We have had some good luck fishing in the area and there are often whales nearby.

Last edited:
Yes, see whale almost daily while out and about without looking for them. That is one of many reasons we love it up there

Back