Solunar tables

Cool site. That thing was bang on yesterday evening where we were. ( North of where we were the other morning )

Great site. Thanks for sharing that.. Says the fishing will be hot tomorrow. Guess we'll have to see how accurate it is lol.

Ok so I tested this website... It's bang on.. 2 days ago it said fishing would suck.. heard 0 reports...

Said fishing in browns bay would be awesome today... Sure was..

Plenty of coho, pinks, and some chum, as well as a nice 35 spring.

Going to follow this a bit and see just how accurate it is, but so far so good.

My father in law, ex commie and long time fisher, swears by the solunar tables. I have yet to really test them out yet. What are other guys experiences with the bite time predictions? Are they accurate or hogwash?

Bite times only work if you find the fish
Yep! :)
And, as I stated elswhere... I personally would NOT run out there at 2:00am to go fishing based on those tables - it just isn't necessary, especially if you understand how it works.

Salmon start their lives as "nocturnal" feeders. Once in the ocean and/or on their feeding grounds salmon are equally active day and night. If there are nocturnal predators around they will be more active during daylight. That is also vice versa more predators during daylight, they will feed more at night. In either case, they are still “opportune” feeders will eat anything they believe to be food), they will strike anytime, except when they feel threatened from a predator – then all bets are off.

“Opportune feeders” meaning just that, anytime (and I do mean anytime) including day or night or any major, minor, or no solar feeding time. If that instinct brain tells them something is food, they are going to try and swallow it. That is also, why they will strike even after having stopped feeding in those freshwater systems… that “instinct brain” tells them that is food – eat it.

Salmon have been found to be most active sometime one hour prior to the sun coming up (that would not be official sunrise and it would be in the dark). That is “my” personal number one absolute favorite time, as I have found they are very actively feeding. Other than that look for the other active times and take your pick. One hour prior through one hour after those tide changes is always good. You are really looking for current changes, as salmon could actually care less about actual tide changes. You will find certain times of the day, they are subject to be more aggressive (bites on). Why? Only they know… but, you will usually find that bite is associated with those solar tables, amount of bait, and the currents. As opportune feeders, when the opportune arises – salmon are going to and will eat. Even when they have stopped feeding, when that instinct brain tells them it is food, they will strike.

Now with all that - Is there any truth in ''The solunar theory''? I think so!

Maybe some don't believe it makes a difference during periods when you have houndreds of thousands or even millions of salmon migrating through an area (when you certainly can catch salmon any time - it is that opportune feeder thing); however, even in those areas, there always seems to be time periods when the "bites on"!

''The solunar theory was initially proposed by the American John Alden Knight in 1926 and has been supported by the systematic analyses of scientists and biologists in subsequent years. It is based on experimental incidents from which it can be deduced that the action of the sun and the moon influences the activity of all living beings in nature. The times of day in which living beings show greater activity are the so-called solunar periods.

We can distinguish two types of solunar periods:

Major periods: have approximately 2 hours duration although on certain occasions they may exceed 3 hours. They begin the moment of the lunar transit (when the moon is overhead) and the opposing lunar transit (when the moon is under our feet). Normally these are the moments of greatest fish activity during each day. The most fervent supporters of this theory state that there is not one species of sport fish that cannot be found eating during a major Solunar Period.

Minor periods: are intermediate periods of lesser duration (approximately 1 hour) which coincide with the rising and the setting of the moon. During these periods there is also an increase in fish activity in relation to the rest of the day.

That is is about the best link I seen to explain it. When you are reading all this stuff, keep in mind: Salmon have what is called an “instinct brain” – the brain tells the fish to avoid predators, find food, and reproduce. That’s about all - They do NOT have any ability to reason anything. They use their sense of hearing (vibrations), sight, and smell to determine if something is predator or food – salmon really doesn’t rationalize anything - when it runs across something, it is either predator or food.

Salmon aren’t really as smart as most think. They have a brain capacity ranked above that of a worm and below that of a frog; however, they have one thing in their favor – that lateral line and it works very well. It is designed to tell them the difference between predator and food. Usually, they hear things first. If it sounds like food (right vibrations), that attracts. Then sight, if it looks like food that attracts. Then smell, it has to smell like food. If all three match – down the hatch it goes. All three of these are equal importance and can fall in any order. If any of these, at any time indicate predator – bye bye!

Solunar Periods are determined by is ''Tidal coefficient," just remember this:

''On the Tide Tables there are tidal coefficients which tell us the amplitude of the tide forecast (difference in height between the consecutive high tides and low tides in any given area). The highest possible tidal coefficient is 118, corresponding to the greatest high or low tide there can be, excluding meteorological effects. Tidal coefficients are calculated from the following parameters or from the sun and the moon: straight ascension, declination, parallax and the distance between the Earth and the celestial body.''

''Despite tidal coefficients being the same for the whole planet, they affect the amplitude of the tides in a very different manner, depending on where we are. This variation in amplitude is almost null and void in closed seas, apart from where there is local resonance (e.g. it can be up to 3ft in Venice); it is weak in mid-ocean, but tends to be considerably amplified when extending to the continental coasts.''

Go to the website linked and read the whole website, it explains things quite well.
http://www.tides4fishing.com/tides/tidal-coefficient

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll side with Charlie's prev. post & add I try to plan my trips for tide changes(the golden rule) 1hr. before & 1hr after a tide change...do my homework ask around for a trend in the the daily bites...once est. I pound the **** out of it until the trend changes...being a crack of 10am kinda guy I wait for one of those opertunistic feeders to come along...SS

Back