Sold boat forms

Theb55

I recently sold my boat privately. Have never done this before. I'm sure someone out there has done it. The boat was officially in my name so I don't have to worry about that. Anyone aware of the forms I need to complete? Thanks for the help.

All you need to do is complete a bill of sale as far as I know. The buyer will need the boat registration papers and the trailer registration and they will be responsible for transferring over the titles. At least that's been my experience as both buyer and seller of a few private boat sales.

Bill of sale should have;value of sale, HIN and other applicable S/N's, name of purchaser/seller and address, phone number. A copy must be retained by you. Buyer requires a copy as well. Its up to him to transfer and pay taxes. He must submit the bill of sale when he applys for the transfer and taxes. Transfer of the boat is done back east thru DOT and taxes paid thru BC Gov Taxation. He must do it within 90 days of sale. If you had an MMSI on the boat, make sure he deletes it off the VHF and you input into your new boats VHF. You really don't have to do anything except ensure you can produce the bill of sale.

I bought a boat 3 years ago. I got a hand scrawled reciept it might say the dudes name and purchase price on it deffinetly not his SIN or anything like that. This is assuming I can find that peice of paper. I have not bothered to register the boat yet but it does have an old 14K number.

What should I do now?

You should start the Registration process as per normal, eventually you might get pulled over by the RCMP and recieve a few fines. I know last yr the parked at the ramp for a couple weeks and checked everyones papers etc and handed out tickets no problem.

I bought a boat 3 years ago. I got a hand scrawled reciept it might say the dudes name and purchase price on it deffinetly not his SIN or anything like that. This is assuming I can find that peice of paper. I have not bothered to register the boat yet but it does have an old 14K number.

What should I do now?

Just print off a form using the web link posted above...
fill it out and attach a copy of your bill of sale and mail it off to Service Canada
In about a month or so you will get your boat license in the mail.

I'm selling, not buying. Present boat all legal. Just wanted to know seller's responsibility

just sign it away with a hand written bill of sale, sign a transfer paper if ya want (icbc form),Trailer? say good bye to boat.. celebrate or cry?

I went thru this process last year..I went online to TRANSPORT CANADA`S OFFICE OF BOATING SAFETY at www.boatingsafety.gc.ca . (Phone 1-800-267-6687

Here's what you as seller need to do:

1. create a bill-of-sale and give buyer a copy ...put all pertinent details - (hull# , manufacturer, model,year, names, dates, addresses, signatures, existing pleasure craft license number (not your operator's license but the boat license from Transport Canada) etc.
2. Give buyer copy of your pleasure craft license so he can put details on his buyer's application for license....be sure to put a an EXPIRED and DATE (of sale) across the face of the copy so new owner cannot use your license ongoing.
3. Complete a separate set of Motor Vehicle (trailer) transfer form for the trailer - buyer may need a copy of your vehicle (trailer) registration form....buyer may need to pay a separate fee to ICBC (who is collecting for the Feds)for transfer of the boat.
4. Seller should remove and may need to submit trailer license plates for any refund on trailer insurance - may wish to accompany seller to nearest ICBC outlet.
5. Seller needs to cancel boat insurance - insurance agent may need proof of sale or transfer documents

Buyer's responsibility to take care of ownership transfer of both the boat and trailer ( see 3. above) as the case may be. For the boat, Buyer needs to submit:
1. Transport Canada Application for Pleasure Craft License (Form 84-0172E)
2. A signed copy of a vaild piece of gov`t issued identification (Passport, birth certificate, provincial vehicle driver`s license)
3. Copy of bill-of-sale and existing pleasure craft license (marked expired), per 1. and 2. above

Hope this helps.
Terry

Back