sockeye fishing in port alberni

Well,from reading through this entire thread,whew! Like most threads on this forum,its pages long.The passion for the sport is evidence of that. Sounds like fishing,you never know what your in for and every yr is different.Mother Nature will do whatever she feels like. Blaming this,that and the other is ridiculous and if we were afraid of the costs involved with fishing,then we would buy from stores,or the road side stands.Saving tons of money in the process.Relax,gentlemen,there always next yr!:D I hear Holmes is catching fish!:D

Jigging with heavy weight and barbed trebles is a whole other (and illegal) ball game. Thanks for the clarification. I was introduced to "flossing" just last year and had previously thought the guys fishing off the bank were always just snagging fish out of the river before trying my hand at it, thus the response. I prefer to stay out of that mess all together and on the ocean. too much agravation on the river bank to be fun. i've never seen a fist fight break out over tangled gear in a boat!

Cheers,

Harper what rook 2 and I were referring to was the jigging with a "woss wobbler" a barbed treble hook and 12 ounces of lead. Entirely different from flossing.

Interested to know where you guys are getting the Somass postings with the 'Next Weeks Fishing Plans' section; google as I might, I can't find it and DFO isn't much help either. Any chance of a URL?

Sunday 7-9pm, Narrows to CC not a sniff although met 2 guys who had limited at Franklin in the same period.
Only a few boats out. Sounder blank.

To echo your note Smiley, I was out Sunday morning and didn't see anything until we got to Franklin river. There were some jumpers, and we saw 4 fish go into 4 boats.

Looked like a floating boat show over at Nahmint, but we didn't go over (decided to stay where we saw fish, not boats), so did anyone catch anything over there?

We didn't get a bite in about three hours at Franklin, so my question is what were these other guys doing right? Saw some green flashers on the fish that came in, so we switched to those pretty quick, but still not a sniff. We were pretty shallow, 15 and 40 feet.

How deep?
Which lure? Spoon, Hoochie or bait?
Leader length?
Length from clip?

Everyone seemed to be going faster than I expected though. I heard that sockeye prefer a slower troll speed, and these guys seemed like they were going nearly chinook speed, I had to keep speeding up to keep them off my stern.

Please help a noob. I'm not afraid (nod to Dennis.t), of spending the money on fuel and gear here (I live in PA), but don't want to waste it.

Well they finally made it.
Saturday with the wind and rain was a bust for most with only a few fish being caught. We fished hard from Hocking point into Namint for 5 hours without a hit. Just weren't schooling or biting. Many of the cagey old vets struck out as well.
But that all changed Sunday. Day started calm and overcast, but no rain; skys cleared and it turned into a beautiful sunny day. Fished Franklin Wall, 4 fish by 0600 and limited out by 0830. Quite a few limits taken in that area and if not limits, certainly a good showing. Fish were jumping and finning the surface. Some real nice fish on the cleaning tables, good size. From the radio chatter, the folks fishing down near the Narrows were getting a few, but if they were limiting out, they kept it quiet.
Back at them next weekend, hopefully they will have started schooling up more with the dryer weather.

I was out this past weekend and can carbon-copy the reports...Fri and Sat skunks. Sunday we slept in expecting more of the same...that was a mistake. Was late...9am ish before we launched and headed down the canal. We saw all the boats at Namihnt and were heading to join them, but saw a few jumpers in the little cove across from Hocking Pt. We turned in there for a try. It was an embarrassing performance for us...only landed one fish for 6 on, including a triple header!

How was it Monday and this morning? Anyone make it out? Wondering how the "seiners closed" area is helping.

Three of us were able to limit out both Sunday and Monday at Nahmint. Was quite fun lots of laughs .

Masterbaiter dont know if you made it over or down ( actually not sure where your coming from but if your on the island and not in Port Hardy) probably worth coming down if its not costing you a arm and a leg.

I couldnt believe all the boats. I thought with the commie opening it would have scared alot of people off, but no. No chatter other then one guy trying to figure out what he was doing wrong so dont expect to hear what or where to go. I saw about about dozen or so fish quietly being netted, 2 by me. and about 5-6 fish being lost at boats, 1 by me. Not hot fishing and I wasnt expecting it to be. Definitely worth a trip out (for me anyway Im happy just to get out) and sure to get alot better. And I saw a boat called the Fish Stalkers :cool:

Also worth trying to hit up some langford gas war buck a liter gas as gas it still 135 up there

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been out a few times below china creek and have on lay gotten two, one was on sunday, But since then the hook bay to ten mile area has been producing
consistatly.......Jacobs done school on Thursday..time to hit it hard

Lance

Fished yesterday from first light to 11 am. We boated 3 and lost a couple. Fishing is slow by most standards and many boats went in with none.

Hey Caroline: Glad to here your picking up a few. Knowing your prowess regarding Sockeyes that's probably the best one can expect right now. When do you figure things are going to warm up down there? Thanks;) eman

Got friends who are in the CC area now, it is still slow.
Anyone else have reports? Creel surveys (chatting DFO people at ramps)?, crowds at cleaning stations?
How about the reports recently that sox were near Pill etc?
Any info appreciated, heading over tomorrow afternoon, deciding to try for sox or go staight to Swale for the weekend.
Smiley.

Seems to be a mix of reports - saw a guide yesterday from Port that said it was good on Sunday and then slowed down during the week for sox. A couple guys in their 60's spent from 5am-2pm fishing for sox (in Nahmint) & got 2 on Wednesday, but did get 5 on Tuesday. But still sounds slower than other years.

Had a blast on Monday loosing and catching sox in Nahmint ended up with limits , also yesterday Wed . Not sure if the rain today is going to help matters any it is not as easy to load up the box like previous seasons . We also had good luck at Pill Pt. a week ago with sox and springs . I am going to try for Sox first thing Sat am. at Nahmint if it is lame after an hr then it will be off to Pill or beyond .

Had a blast on Monday loosing and catching sox in Nahmint ended up with limits , also yesterday Wed . Not sure if the rain today is going to help matters any it is not as easy to load up the box like previous seasons . We also had good luck at Pill Pt. a week ago with sox and springs . I am going to try for Sox first thing Sat am. at Nahmint if it is lame after an hr then it will be off to Pill or beyond .

that is our plan too. Should be a gongshow out there regardless how good the fishing is.

On the water right now, very slow. Heard on the radio of the odd fish caught. No one at cleaning stations, whenever we've pulled up, so no info there. Extremely poor compared to other years.

For sure. Water temp in the inlet is 53 f. 51 f in the river and lots of water, so these fish have no reason to stack up in the inlet. Freaking cold and miserable out here right now. It's going to take a week or so of warm weather. Better years the water temp has been in the 60s.

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 3 – 2012 Date: June 28, 2012
Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update
Pre-season forecast:
Somass (Great Central and Sproat) 700,000 (range: 500,000 to 1,000,000);
Henderson Lake sockeye outlook ~ 25,000
Escapement to June 23: ~ 90,350 (19,200 Great Central, 71,100 Sproat Lake)
Test Fishery: June 25-26: Estimate 18K inside 10-mile Point; 50Koutside Note: Test boat numbers are for only two days of testing and do not account for migration into the areas over the remaining five days.
Expected Somass Stock Composition: 47% Great Central, 53% Sproat Sockeye
Expected Somass Age Composition: 36%, 51%, and 13% for age 42, 52, 53 / 63 adults, respectively.
To date the overall age composition is 23% (42), 72% (52), 1% (53), 3% (63). Concern for low numbers of 4 year olds.
Run Reforecast: Run size upgraded to 900,000
Catch Estimate: ~ 208,350 adults
Port Alberni Tsu-ma-uss Economic Opportunity fishery – 93,100
Maanulth First Nations Domestic harvest – 12,200
Commercial Gillnet – 57,500
Commercial Seine – 34,531
Recreational – 8,800
Henderson sockeye in the catch is estimated at 850 fish
NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:
First Nations
Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath , Tseshaht)-The First Nations have reduced fishing effort due to high catch rate.
Gill-nets - Sunday noon to Tuesday night 8 pm; 56 hours.
Communal Drag Seine - Papermill Dam Wednesday to Sunday 6 am to 2 pm.
Maa-nulth - The harvest plan includes contracting of designated Area D Gill-netters to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying Maa-nulth identification flags.
Commercial
Area D Gillnet - fishery will open 14 hours from 6 am to 8 pm Tuesday July 3rd The boundaries are similar to the June 26th fishery except for the following areas; Uchucklesit Inlet closure is expanded to close a portion of the lower inlet to protect Henderson migration, and the northern boundary line is now Bilton Point to the opposite shore.
Area B Seine – fishery will open 48 hours from Monday July 2nd 11:00 hrs to Wednesday July 4th 11:00 hrs. There will be a closed area for seines as agreed to by the Area 23 harvest committee. This area is subject to adjustment by the committee, depending on sockeye abundance in-season. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point easterly to the opposite shore.
Recreational
Fishing continues at 4 per day in Alberni Inlet except for the tidal portions of Somass River which is to 2 per day with no night fishing.
For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440

Back