sockeye fishing in port alberni

It was slow but there were lots of fish to be seen on the sounder. They're just heading straight up the river.
We got one Friday night and lost one at Dunsmuir Point. Two this morning at the Alberni end of the Narrows. 11 hours trolling in all.
With the Seine Fishery starting in a couple of days from Hocking Point and south, it doesn't look to good for the rec guys again.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished it Friday in the rain and only one that was lost at the side of the boat.
Attended a DFO / Sporty meeting held at the fire pit at China Creek by the Marina. We had a overview by the Manager or the local DFO office which advised us that there were going to be several commercial openings next week for Gillnetters and Sceiners so in summary get ready !
The DFO said the escapement is right on target , the salmon are just shooting up the river.
I heard last year after the sceiners were finished, so was the sockeye for the Sporties .....
The DFO maintained the fish fish were still moving up the river but they were going straight up and no stopping or schooling ..... hmmmm dont know about that but sure hope there is more soxs out there for the Sporties and its not over .... GL Guys and Gals !

Was going to head to China Creek next week from 26-30th... sounds like slim pickings so far and the commies will be there to clean up what's left. Same thing happened to me last year when I went! Maybe have to change plans next year

Yup .... maybe go to Bamfield and catch the springs !
Feel sorry for Port Alberni but I guess JP's commercial fleet is more important to the local economy

Yup .... maybe go to Bamfield and catch the springs !
Feel sorry for Port Alberni but I guess JP's commercial fleet is more important to the local economy

It kind of looks that way doesn't it. I don't mind competing with the Gillnetters so much. We've fished alongside their nets in the past and still done well. It's the seiners that get me. When they can fish south of Hocking Point they pretty much cut the supply off for the sport fisherman. Remember the years when the seiners fished the harbour. Lots of fish for us and thousands and thousands of fish that swam by our gear to be caught by the seine guys. Everybody got their piece of the pie. At least JP should be happy.
Dave

Funny thing about it is, while at the meeting it was asked of DFO; In all fairness why is all the other fishing sectors getting higher limits and it continues to be the same for the Sporties, DFO said "Your table representation said 4 a day is enough". I wonder if our reps are on JP's payroll. Someone should look into it geeees.

Funny thing about it is, while at the meeting it was asked of DFO; In all fairness why is all the other fishing sectors getting higher limits and it continues to be the same for the Sporties, DFO said "Your table representation said 4 a day is enough". I wonder if our reps are on JP's payroll. Someone should look into it geeees.

I know some of your reps. A comment like yours is totally uncalled for and you owe your SFAC reps an apology for it!
Dave

as soon as the water drops,, sooonn,, the socks will start schooling...

Seriously, if 4 a day isn't enough, then what is. The fish are there, but heading through. Sure, give us 8 a day and still catch nothing, makes a lot of sense!!!!

My kudos to the SFAC reps. I don't know any of them, but I think they do a fine job and that we are well represented.

Seriously, if 4 a day isn't enough, then what is. The fish are there, but heading through. Sure, give us 8 a day and still catch nothing, makes a lot of sense!!!!

My kudos to the SFAC reps. I don't know any of them, but I think they do a fine job and that we are well represented.

I agree 100%. I sit with a few of them on the SCSFAB and have nothing but respect for them.
Dave

Put the boat in Friday at 1900hrs and blasted down the river to Dunsmuir Pt. Trolled a mile past China Creek and back without a bite. Tied up and spent the night listening to the rain poor down all night. Left the dock at 0500 and started trolling at Hook bay for 3 hours. Caught the first fish at 0700 and it was a beauty weighing in at 8 pounds. Caught one more until 0800 and never seen another net out. So we packed up and headed to Pill Pt for some springs. Threw out 3 spring rigs and I kept a sockeye rig on the top rod. We ended up with 2 more sockeye over a 4 hour troll.

My buddy got a call from his son who was offshore fishing the bank and caught a 42 pound spring.

When we got back to the cleaning table at China Creek with our 4 sockeye there was a stampede heading our way to find out where, when and how we ended up with 4 fish. It’s not like the last time we were at the cleaning table last year and had to wait for 30 minutes to get a spot to clean our fish. Everyone was limited out and there was 500 boats in the inlet generating $$$$$ for the town.

They said last Wednesday and Thursday lots of the boats had limits but the rain came and flushed the fish up the river.
I hope we get a chance after the opening June 25[SUP]th[/SUP] to find some schooling fish so I can fill some jars.

looks like the weather is gettin' better and warmin' up. I am hopin' to go on the water soon. I need some fish to be put in the freezer for the winter. bbqin' salmon slices are my favorite!

Yeah think I will just say screw going to PA and have to go somewhere else to spend my $$$

Have to agree as much as I like PA and the people there I can't have the same thing happen this year. As far as the Sox limit goes the people that want more than their limit go twice a day or have familly come pick up the fish anyway.

where are all the fish???

went to china creek on thursday afternoon and fished the bay from 5pm till 8:30pm,,not even a sniff,,fished friday from 6am till 8 pm,not even a sniff,fished saturday from 6 am till 2:30 pm,not even a sniff,,rained like hell,,no crab and only 134 prawns for our efforts,,pretty sad,had a great time out on the water fishing with my buddies,,we were suppose to stay there till sunday afternoon but were so pissed that we packed up on saturday afternoon and headed home,,
we heard from a guy at our camping area that there were a lot of people fishing on shore in the river and were jigging vigorously for the sox and were loading up on the sox,,some guys were taking their 4 fish home and comming back for more,they were cleaning up on the catch
first off all,i thought that casting and jigging for salmon was illegal,second of all i thought that the limitt in that area was 2 per day,not 4 per day,
were was DFO when all of this was going on????
i use to fish for salmon when i was a younger fellow then got involed in softball and baseball till i was 56 years old then i retired from the sport that i love and bought myself a $27,000.00 boat to take up sport fishing,,and spent a lot more money on all the other items that you need to prawn,fish and crab,,,,,man what a mistake,,if i only new that that dfo assholes had screwed the sport fishing industry i may have thought differently.
so now i have not even the time of day for the DFO assholes,,the commercial netting assholes,,and the f__cking first nations whom are netting right out of the rivers and selling them on the side of the road,not for cerimonial purposes,,
i will continue to sport fish and support all sport fishing,
i do blame it all on DFO for not starting to do something about our fish 10 years ago,,way to go DFO,,and commercial asshoes and you f--cking natives can stick it,,
i know that we sport fisherman are not going to get it any better,,

Im still learning where places are and I havent dug my chart out and still not sure it will tell me where Dunsmuir Point and the pilings are. Will the top the inlet be seiner free? Also 'subject to adjustement' which could mean..?

I have a invite for sox fishing tuesday which im trying to figure if its worth the taking the day off and driveup. I will for sure if we get no more rain and the seiners arnt all over the place, even tho I have had good luck with them around for chinook.

Area B Seine - fishery planned for June 25th. There will be a closed area for seines as recommended by the recreational sector. This area is subject to adjustment by the Area 23 Salmon Harvest committee, depending on sockeye abundance in-season. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point due easterly to the opposite shore.

area23-1.jpg

fish stalker...don't waste your time or money,,,they are opening the area,,not all areas,,but the areas on both sides of china creek for the f__king commercial netters,,and most of the big chinook are out in barkley sound or near there,,

hmm crap. Not looking for chinook in there yet just some sox. Its funny ive actually done well in the with the gill netters and seiners going, seem to scare the fish to bite. I think that might have been some werid fluke tho. I was hoping they were going to be kept out of area 23-1 to -2 at least. Is China creek right about were the 23-2 mark is on the map?

I believe 23-2 is Nahmint, so China woould be half way between 23-1 and 23.2 app.;) eman

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this really sucks... Last year I went to PA right after the long weekend and the commies showed up the night before... I don't think one fish was caught for 200 boats out there, and maybe only 5-6 over the next couple of days. So I thought this year I would go a week earlier so I could catch some sockey, and I'll be damned!!!... I reserved a camping spot at CC for 50 bucks but will just say screw it as will likely be a complete waste of time again, so better to lose just the $50 instead of spending money to go to PA, then float around and catch nothing. It is really too bad for the local economy there. Wish they would just allow the commercial fishery closer to the river only. I was looking forward to going; really sucks!

Back