sockeye fishing in port alberni

The preseason forecast for Somass sockeye is 700,000 - 1,000,000. The seine
test-fishing vessel will commence operations June 11. Test-fishing information
will be available after June 15.
Area 23 Gill nets open Tuesday, June 12, 2012 for 14 hours, from 06:00 hours to
20:00 hours, in Subarea 23-5 and portions of Subareas 23-3, 23-4 and 23-6.
Numukamis Bay, San Mateo Bay, Effingham Inlet, Rainy Bay and Uchucklesit Inlet
are closed.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...ew_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=142713&ID=commercial

How is the fishing out there rec wise? The marina / overflow parking doesn't seem very busy whenever I drive by and the forum thread is pretty slow. The first nations are out there alot and with the commercial opening tomorrow I imagine there are fish out there.

Too early for them to be biting in the canal? Similar weather to what we had last year this time though where the stamp stayed high and cool well into the summer.

How is the fishing out there rec wise? The marina / overflow parking doesn't seem very busy whenever I drive by and the forum thread is pretty slow. The first nations are out there alot and with the commercial opening tomorrow I imagine there are fish out there.

Too early for them to be biting in the canal? Similar weather to what we had last year this time though where the stamp stayed high and cool well into the summer.

Well if you ask Pop Sea, looks like he has the golden ticket.

I know of 2 boats that fished last weekend amoung about 30 boats on the water at Namint. Both very good fishermen. They never touched a fish and never saw a net out.

Test fishery is today, if they have the numbers they will be putting the sienes in.
IF they keep them China creek to town there will be a chance of a sport fishery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this site, it's the test fishery and results are up from Monday & Tuesday. 6 sets and 180 or so fish. I didn't see the detailed report of where they set.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/testfish/sockeye/Area23_seine.htm

going to be doin some of my own testing this weekend. Hope they're in. Last year first fish, June 12, limit on June 13. I'm overdue.

PS, they just posted another gill net opening, June 19th for 14 hours, same areas as yesterday.

Supposed to be heading up there tomorrow afternoon. Hope that things are starting to happen. Worse case scenario we'll keep going and fish Bamfield for Springs.
Dave

Well if they aren't in Saturday morning, I'll be out there with you. Hear it's been hot out there and we got company coming that want to catch something.
See DFO have posted the seine test results from Monday/Tuesday as well, Some fish but not great. 2 days, 12 sets from Pill to the Harbor 360 socks and a few springs. Big haul of around 60 was from Underwood Bay....go figure. How'd they get by me last Sat & Sunday?

Just back from Alberni - no sox yet. They aren't holding due to high water levels - lots of rain so they are heading straight up the rivers.
Spring fishing at Pill Pt. was great, though.

Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update

Pre-season forecast:
Somass (Great Central and Sproat) 700,000 (range: 500,000 to 1,000,000);
Henderson Lake sockeye outlook ~ 25,000

Escapement to June 13: ~ 20,000 (2000 Great Central, 18,000 Sproat Lake)

Test Fishery: June 11-12: Estimate 10K inside 10-mile Point; 15K outside
Expected Somass Stock Composition: 47% Great Central, 53% Sproat Sockeye
Expected Somass Age Composition: 36%, 51%, and 13% for age 42, 52, 53 / 63 adults, respectively.
First in-season reforecast: June 28 (Preliminary Review June 21)

Catch Estimate: ~ 69,500 adults
Port Alberni Tsu-ma-uss Economic Opportunity fishery - 56,000
Maanulth First Nations Domestic harvest - 2000
Commercial Gillnet - 11,500
Recreational - 1,200
NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:

First Nations
Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath ,Tseshaht)-The First Nations have reduced fishing effort due to high catch rate.
Gill-nets - Sunday noon to Monday night 8 pm; 32 hours.
Communal Drag Seine - Papermill Dam Thursday to Saturday 6 am to 2 pm.

Maa-nulth - The harvest plan includes contracting of designated Area D Gill-netters to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying Maa-nulth identification flags.

Commercial
Area D Gill - net fishery will operate 14 hours from 6 am. To 8 pm Tuesday June 19th in the same areas as the June 12th fishery, from the Bamfield line to the Pocahontas line.

Area B Seine - fishery planned for June 25th. There will be a closed area for seines as recommended by the recreational sector. This area is subject to adjustment by the Area 23 Salmon Harvest committee, depending on sockeye abundance in-season. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point due easterly to the opposite shore.

Recreational
Fishing continues at 4 per day in Alberni Inlet except for the tidal portions of Somass River which is to 2 per day with no night fishing.

For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440

With several friends heading out yesterday, and with no luck for me this week....Im waiting for some good news. Definately think the guy was bs me at the cleaning table last week. Ive only seen two caught in two weeks. They are just slaying them at papermill dam though.

I will fish China Creek in the morn just to enjoy some time and coffee

Lance

One sockeye made to the docks in china creek today according to the counting lady. Mr Sockeye didn't even have the kindness in his heart to chose my boat.

Okay, I know that I've been early butttt...the early bird could be tossed at least one or two sockeye in the past 3 weeks???
Last night we did a shakedown cruise on dad's repaired boat, everything working well.
No fish, a few schools on the sounder.
This morning, LOTS of fish on the sounder in Hook and several others from there to Underwood, a few jumpers, but not one single hit!
We tried changing speed, depth, lure, flasher, leader, clip to flasher, even washed hands after peeing, no dice!
Still, a great father's day morning!
They HAVE to be close...
I worry about the commercial opening down the other end of the inlet though, perhaps not enough are making it past the jungle?
Smiley.

Back