sockeye fishing in port alberni

Generally speaking.......the early sox in Port at this time of year do not school up....they just shoot straight up the river because there's lots of fresh water that is the right temp and they can sense it.

They tend to ignore sportfish offerings.

Later when things warm up, the freshwater gets warmer and the river levels drop......they think twice.

That's the early Port run......but there is also Henderson Lake/Nahmint run later and those fish are generally bigger than Port run.

9 times out of 10 guys that fish early for sox will go down Kildonan way before they start fishing for Cous sox.

A lot of times they start getting them down the end of the canal first....then later upper canal.

It's all about river temp and availibilty of cool fresh water for the Sox.

The colder,wetter,rainier spring/summer in Port......the more they will not school up and hang around.

The year you get a hot dry 'drought" summer in Port is the year the sox fishing for sporties is best......because they won't go up the river in those conditions much so they are forced to hang around the inlet.

Henderson Lake is one wet area normally..........it gets on average about 240 inches of rain a year.

Question, 3 years ago was the MASSIVE Fraser River sockeye run. The year prior the numbers were hardly worth mentioning. It was a hot summer that year, could this have played a part in the following years 35 Million + numbers?

Is it likely fish will hold for another year in the salt if the river conditions aren't adequate for spawning?

always wondered that....FB

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks ken can't wait. looking forward to hearing how you do this weekend!!!!!!!!!

going to be at China Creek this coming weekend for a hockey team gathering, dont care so much about the fishing but we will give the sockeye an early shot and see what happens. We may run out to Pill for a day as well... keep ya posted!

Cobweb clearing mission yesterday morning.
On water from 5-8am.
Fished 10 mile to Hocking.
6 rods on 15' spreads, leaders 17-27", depths 14-67', speeds 0.0-3kmh, squirts and plain hooks.
Mostly straight tacks with some wiggles.
Not a single tangle - crew was back up to snuff quickly - phew!
My boat, dad and son aboard - 3 generations!
No fish = no beer lol.
Only saw 1 jumper.
Occasional schools of various sizes on the sounder, but not many.
Did get a pair of 'black bass' near Hocking, let 'em go.
Buddy limited at Papermill Sunday, so they are here, just not hitting in the canal yet.
Next weekend should be the start of it, but wife wants to go shopping in USA!

Looking forward to seeing how everyone else does this week.

thanks Smiley!

hope there are a few hits come this weekend. If anyone is around China on Sat and Sun, come on by the creekside sites for a cold one or two...

I saw "fresh" sockeye for sale in Superstore the other day. I'm assuming they originated from Alberni, can't justify the price tho... Gawdawful 5-7 lb fish selling for about 70 bucks!

That was Copper River Sockeye. Copper River Springs are even more expensive!

That was Copper River Sockeye. Copper River Springs are even more expensive!

Hagen's in the US has the Copper River Springs every year. The price dwarfs other springs in the supermarket. What makes the Copper River run such a sought after fish??

The fish are now here, Nahmint, normal depths....6 in the box for my friend today, I will try closer to town at around 5 am but will will in nahmint
sat am

Lance

Hagen's in the US has the Copper River Springs every year. The price dwarfs other springs in the supermarket. What makes the Copper River run such a sought after fish??

Supposedly the high oil content and richness of flavor. For me, it's not worth the price they are asking.

college try again this a.m.

Started at Coleman, gave up at Hook 4 hours later.
Not a sniff.
Approx 30 boats total in sight between Bilton and Sproat.
Talked to one boat with one sockeye.
Saw 3 jumpers, got on top of one smallish school but couldn't stay on top of it.
Hopefully next week!

Thinking of maybe sneaking over to the Rock around July 22 for sockeye, as we'll be in Van. for my oldest daughter whose in the Summer games, and then thinking of leaving the boat there for our annual Nootka trip first week in August. Now the question is, I have to be back here in Nelson on the 26th, and have never fished for sox, so am wondering if you guys think it would be worth it. Was thinking of hotelling it, putting and pulling boat out everyday, and can you fish right in PA, or do you have to run a ways? Any input appreciated. Thanx

Thinking of maybe sneaking over to the Rock around July 22 for sockeye, as we'll be in Van. for my oldest daughter whose in the Summer games, and then thinking of leaving the boat there for our annual Nootka trip first week in August. Now the question is, I have to be back here in Nelson on the 26th, and have never fished for sox, so am wondering if you guys think it would be worth it. Was thinking of hotelling it, putting and pulling boat out everyday, and can you fish right in PA, or do you have to run a ways? Any input appreciated. Thanx

If DFO does not unleash the bag fleet on those fish it would definately be worth it!
The question is ..if big numbers of fish show up, will they unleash the bag fleet like they did last year and a sporty cannot catch a fish or will common sense prevail...

I hate to guess the anwer to this.

Inlet sport and commercial opportunities

Hello.
The big question for me is: what will the commercial fishery look like for sockeye in the inlet for the next 6-7 weeks?
Last year the commercial opening effectively ended any opportunities for sport fishing in the inlet.
Will it be the same this year?
Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest - just looking for info.
Thanks.
Smiley.

No one knows. All i can say for certain is if stops raining and warms up and if alot of socks show up and stage hte fleet will be unleashed. Im sure the ticker for escapement has already started ticking at a decent rate with fish shooting straight up the river. Once that is reached, adios sportfishery.

True story.

Lorne

Just returned from China Creek... no sockeye caught saturday morning, only saw one fish caught and cleaned at the station. Fished Nahmint and then went to Pill Point for the afternoon.

there were 3 boats out there with us/friends, and between all boats on Saturday aft/evening we came home with 7 springs between 5-15lbs. Most of them were caught on coyote spoons, at least a little action for the rods!

Back