soaking Prawn Traps for 2 days?

Wooly

Hey guys maybe a dumb question but i'm new to prawning. I was going to leave my traps in the water while im not fishing and pick them up when I go back out fishing 2 days later. 48 hours too long? any advice would be great thanks everyone!

Cheers,

wooly

I've left them down for two days usually due to weather conditions and it didn't seem to hurt. Generally don't like to because those trapped prawns are prime picking for small crabs, octopus, slime eels and such. Have brought up several empty shells on occasion. Hopefully no one will steal the trap...something which occurs far too often on the Island.

You can leave them down as long as you have bait for really. As soon as the bait is gone, all the prawns will leave the trap.

ive found anything over 6 hours gives no difference in how many i get. usually the catch goes down because the bait starts to disappear or other aimals (fish, crab, sun stars, octopus) make there way into the trap. At most i will do an overnight soak but the trick is to pack the bait jar full so theres not as much water flow in and out of it so the bait lasts longer

I've had a set soaking for 5 days thanks to the Commercial guy that dropped his set right on me and pinned it down. Fingers are crossed for tonight. FYI Saanich inlet is crazy for commercial right now with several rec people with missing gear. Counted 9 boats in one area long line trapping on Sat.

I find that pellets seem to catch for about 6-12 hours. If I hang a salmon head in the trap it usually catches for much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a set soaking for 5 days thanks to the Commercial guy that dropped his set right on me and pinned it down. Fingers are crossed for tonight. FYI Saanich inlet is crazy for commercial right now with several rec people with missing gear. Counted 9 boats in one area long line trapping on Sat.

I find that pellets seem to catch for about 6-12 hours. If I hang a salmon head in the trap it usually catches for much longer.
Yep ChoveyRoller.The same thing happened last year. It took 3 months after they nuked it before it was even worth your time bothering to drop a trap. And I also agree the pellets are only good for 12hrs or so unless you spice it up with something more substancial like Carlyle cat food.

Back