So lets test your scruples!!!

Hey CL, I say Whack, Smack and glug, glug, glug.......:D

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Interesting conundrum. One that has tormented humanity for eons. Economic gain vs. doing the right thing for the resource.

In that sense, I think the derby rules should be weighed for scruples, not the decision of the participant to take or shake. Especially when ten G's are dangled as bait. There are tables to calculate the weight of a hali based on it's length. That should be allowed by the derby rules instead of getting the old girl into the boat and on to a scale.

Check out this recent blog; http://sundslodge.com/wordpress/unc...ut-record-caught-and-released-at-sunds-lodge/

As for filling the freezer, I agree that a fish this size would taste about as good as a Bridgestone radial. The 300+lbr. is better left to spawn again.

Spank...done and done!

As for the eating, I was talking to a guy that nailed a 200lb fish and he said no problem...still a good eating fish.

Getbent

quote:Originally posted by getbent

Spank...done and done!

As for the eating, I was talking to a guy that nailed a 200lb fish and he said no problem...still a good eating fish.

Getbent

That's what the guys who keep them always say. Usually a different story if you try some yourself, or talk to someone they gave some of the meat away to. I never even thought halibut meat was any good when I was younger (before I started fishing for it myself). Anytime I was given Halibut meat I found it tough and chewy and didn't like it at all. Took me a while to realize the only time people are giving away there Halibut meat is when it is from a big old monster fish that isn't fit for eating. After I tried some young chicken Halibut I decided I liked it fine and started fishing for it myself. Every fish is different but on average the table quality of the bigger fish is far poorer than the smaller ones.

If was worth $10k and most likely will stand at that size, I would whack and stack. Not in a derby, let go. After a bunch of pictures. I like halibut as a food fish, but not 200# of it. I like fish maybe once a week. I just like to fish. If you are trying to justify sport fishing on economics, will never work. Secretary I had years ago, when she found out I tried to murder ducks, said it was most likely for the food. I told her I could fly to Paris and have prepared duck at Maxim' cheaper than I can shoot them.

21'Jetcraft Bluewater, Hobie Outback

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuyThat's what the guys who keep them always say. Usually a different story if you try some yourself, or talk to someone they gave some of the meat away to. I never even thought halibut meat was any good when I was younger (before I started fishing for it myself). Anytime I was given Halibut meat I found it tough and chewy and didn't like it at all.
Maybe you're just a lousy cook!

i've had halibut from a 200+ beast.

while i fully agree it's not prime eating (the smaller the better imo), it is most certainly edible. take a look at your fish counter next time... lots of those filets are from 100+ fish. people are enjoying those!

as others have said... with 10K on the line, she'd be dead and done... otherwise, i'd pull a captain dudds!

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuyThat's what the guys who keep them always say. Usually a different story if you try some yourself, or talk to someone they gave some of the meat away to. I never even thought halibut meat was any good when I was younger (before I started fishing for it myself). Anytime I was given Halibut meat I found it tough and chewy and didn't like it at all.
Maybe you're just a lousy cook!

If your going to quote me dogbreath, then don't quote only part of what I said. How about the rest of it.

Quote:

"Took me a while to realize the only time people are giving away there Halibut meat is when it is from a big old monster fish that isn't fit for eating. After I tried some young chicken Halibut I decided I liked it fine and started fishing for it myself. Every fish is different but on average the table quality of the bigger fish is far poorer than the smaller ones."

I think I'm an excellent cook, and I seem to be able to cook up the smaller Hali with excellent results. Perhaps you could pass along your recipe for tenderizing fillet of boot sole. We'd all like to hear how youm make those old gum shoes melt in your mouth tender.

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy...Perhaps you could pass along your recipe for tenderizing fillet of boot sole. We'd all like to hear how you make those old gum shoes melt in your mouth tender.
Easy-first I start with a positive attitude then I use one of three favourite recipes.

One is kebabs with blanched vegetables like Red/Yellow Peppers or Red Onion and chunks of Halibut alternated on the stick-marinated in a sauce of Peanut Butter, Garlic, Lime and Chile.

Marinate for no more than an hour and grill fast and hot over Japanese Charcoal.

The other is a simple Teriyaki using lots of Garlic, Onion and Brown Sugar-grill as per above-kebabs are my fave but any chunk configuration will do-Do Not Use Large Pieces of Fish.

Lastly Tempura never fails if you know what you're doing-use a Sauce of Thai Sweet Chile Sauce & Mustard for dipping-again no large pieces.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Just think of all the toxins she has scrounged up off the bottom and stored up over the years. Yum Yum, take only the oldest dogfish while your at it too!
THIS ^^^^^^^^ plus after eating chickens i find those big ones taste like crap .... my 2 cents worth [^]

Hey-- the thread is about whacking a biggie with a financial incentive attached to its tail... What happens after the fish is weighed in , is a different thread..;)

But-- what the hay.. I may as well get into the hijack-- The big one I caught (254) WAS great eating. Afterall... its the same fish that people buy in the supermarkets. In fact the big ones bring a premium. But urban myths are hard to dispel...

And-- I started this thread with no intention of belittling Capt Dudds released whale. If I had not had a use for the one I got, I might have released it too..........but NOT with $10 grand riding on it. After all, who would forgo a lottery win? :D

Carry on......

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I understand guys wanting to bonk a big fish and its perfectly legal so i wouldnt look down on anyone doing so. If they choose to release it then good on them. That said I dont get this idea that commies take big fish so i am going to take them aswell. Why do so many guys on this board use that excuse to make it seem ok.

Well hes going to share with his friends so everyone benifits and he will be coming back to spend more $$$$$ and bringing more people to there as you know they tell 2 friends and they tell 2 friends.

WHACK WHACK away no different than a 30 lber to a 100lber its a fish and we well some fish for food no problem killing it...

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

To each his own - I could care less...but for me chickens to 100lbs is quite fine. If you find the need to be a bragart give'er pig! You Da'man!!!! It's all good - but truly who care in the end??? You did it, so what!;):)[}:)]

R.
If we kill all the chickens there will be nothing..... the big ones will be dead and so will the next big ones.
One thing I think that we can all agree on on thats is if its not wasted...Good on ya
If I got a big one there would be a lot of people I know that would have halibut that would be a lot better than the expensive 3 week old stuff that ends up in most stores. And I would resort to yard work till it was gone and needed more.
I mean its going to Colorado....pretty sure that it will not be wasted.
Everyone needs to quit pissing over thier side of the fence I'm standing on.... yer getting me wet and its gross [:eek:)] :D

I will also add that up untill a couple years ago any of those fish and chip joint that you ate at growing up were using the big ones.... 100lb + dressed and frozen then they bought them bandsawed to 4" steaks..... I never remember it tasting like a BFG [:0]

its pretty sad when 3rd world countries all over the world voluntarily release bill fish even though they can kill them but when its brought up here its, F*ck DFO BONK IT!

In a perfect world that fish is split up and given to 25-30 people to eat fresh. In reality A LOT of that fish will sit in a freezer in ziploc bags rotting [xx(]

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

LoL - my food choice has nothing to do with conservation...

Me too [8D].... Ill take a big one and use it but quite happy with the chix I get.
Wasnt picking you out for any other reason other than I chopped up a quote cause you said what I wanted ;) :D

Back