So lets test your scruples!!!

Cuba Libre

Have a read of this story and then tell us HONESTLY what you would have done....... release the monster OR whack it and take the $10,000(US)prize money

quote:
Colorado angler lands monster flatfish

By MIKE CAMPBELL
mcampbell@adn.com

Published: June 15th, 2010 10:49 PM
Last Modified: June 16th, 2010 11:26 PM

When Colorado angler Aaron Buscher hooked something in about 100 feet of water while jigging Monday morning on a halibut charter south of Montague Island near Seward, it was anyone's guess what might be on the other end.

Buscher would pump, reel, pump, reel and gain maybe 15 feet of line. Then the fish would make a short run and those 15 feet would be gone. The stalemate repeated time and again.

After about 40 minutes of muscle-draining toil, Buscher's denizen of the deep finally appeared off the stern of the Crackerjack Voyager. The sight took Buscher's breath away.

"It was bigger than anything I've ever dreamed of," said Buscher, a 34-year-old on his first trip to Alaska. "I didn't even know they got that big. Everybody was floored when that thing hit the surface.

"It was like a submarine coming up."

A small sub, perhaps, but one heck of a halibut. By the time the 7-foot-4-inch fish tipped the scales at 337 pounds on the Seward docks, Crackerjack captain Andy Mezirow had repeated more than once, "It's good to be lucky."

Lucky to have the biggest sport-caught halibut in Alaska this year.

Lucky to have a seemingly insurmountable lead for the $10,000 first place prize in the Seward Halibut Derby.

Lucky to have the biggest fish a Crackerjack angler has ever boated in 15 years of operating -- and perhaps Seward's biggest ever.

Lucky that the 50-pound test line held with a fish that large.

But before anyone could start toasting their luck, there was the small matter of getting the exhausted halibut aboard.

"Nobody knew what to do," Buscher said. "Everyone seemed to be grabbing gaffs."

After the fish was gaffed and shot to keep it from flopping, two men tried to pull it onto the stern of the 46-foot Crackerjack Voyager.

"Two guys couldn't even get it onto the platform," Buscher said.

Then three tried. Same result.

"Finally, we had four pretty big guys and we barely got in through the back of the boat," Buscher said. "We pulled with every ounce of muscle we had. I feel like I dislocated my shoulders."

For halibut anglers, that's a feeling to savor.

"We've been doing this for a long time," Mezirow said. "Everybody was very boisterous and ecstatic. Aaron hugged the fish as soon as he got it in the boat. You know, there are really not many halibut in the ocean that big, and it's nice when a fisherman realizes it's a once-in-a-lifetime fish."

Especially for Buscher, a Conifer, Colo., resident who previously lived in Illinois. He loves to fish, but his Lower 48 quarry has been bass, walleye and trout.

"I don't ever expect to see a fish this big again," he said.

But he will be seeing halibut filets for quite some time. The fat flatfish was 14-to-16-inches thick, Mezirow said, accounting for the weight.

Mezirow said he boated a 91-incher -- three inches longer than Buscher's -- a few years back, but it weighed 318 pounds.

After endless picture-taking on the dock, Buscher had his fish fileted, and he's packing up 88 pounds per side and 5 pounds for each halibut cheek back to Colorado. The tail will be mounted.

"I have to share the wealth when I get back home," he said.

Buscher, who works as a directional driller for Baker Hughes in North Dakota, said his first trip to Alaska won't be his last.

"I'll be back, guaranteed," he said. "My passion has always been halibut. It's my favorite eating fish and I just like catching a big fish."

If he returns next year, a free fishing trip awaits. His day prize for bringing in the biggest fish on Monday is a seat aboard a 2011 Seward charter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reach reporter Mike Campbell at mcampbell@adn.com or 257-4329.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big halibut stats

Weight: 337 pounds

Length: 88 inches

Line: 50-pound-test Berkley tracer braid with 30 feet of 60-pound-test Stren fluorocarbon monofiliment

Bait: A 17-ounce Youngquist lead head jig with a white 8-inch Berkley Power Bait Grub lure

Reel: Penn Torque 10

Rod: A 7-foot Penn Torque 20-40 pound rod

Boat: 46-foot Crackerjack Voyager with 800-horsepower diesel

Where: South of Montague Island

Depth: 100 feet

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/06/15/1324752/337-pound-halibut-is-biggest-derby.html#ixzz0rA0MUzWD

Well?????? Be honest now!! ;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Food.

Just as the commercial guys would do, accept they would say money.

First off, if I caught a 300+ pound hali I'd be scared stiff to try and boat the thing, but for $10,000 you can bet I would have tried!
If there was no derby though, forget that I would have taken as many pictures of the thing that I could from in the water, maybe chuck the life jackets in there for scale (or someone in one) and then let her go. I'd rather eat the chickens. Even Chinook fishing I get picky under 15lbs it makes it on my plate, over and all I want to eat is the tail end. I smoke the rest or have it when company comes over.

I don't really see the point in letting it go. For starters, I doubt a fish that old has a working reproductive system anyway, and you have to think, what would the next guy do? If the general consensus was to let it go, fine, but I bet 90 out of 100 fishermen would bonk it.

Get yours or someone else will, I'm sad to say.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

dead dead dead but then i'd get a lifesize mount and hang it on my wall lol.

Nope, gone. No such thing as a guaranteed winner in a year long derby. A bigger one could still come in, it's only June. What do you do with all that meat buy another freezer?

A fish like that would get a love tap on my boat.
Fish for my whole family till who knows how long.
Chance at 10k …. Bonus.

Maybe just my hunter instinct talking.
GLG

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

Nope, gone. No such thing as a guaranteed winner in a year long derby. A bigger one could still come in, it's only June. What do you do with all that meat buy another freezer?

A couple luv taps and if yer 'Merican a pop first for good measures :D
It is a year long derby but that one will probly stand. I would rather a couple 40 and 50's and call her done till thats gone but I'm sure in Colorado they will take what they can get

Here's a little something to think about:

There was 2 sides of fillets @ 88 pounds each, plus the cheeks at 5 pounds each [:0]

Total of 186 pounds of meat.

At todays prices, that much meat would cost you

@ $7.99 per pound or $1,486.14

@ $2.99/100 grams (84368.19 gr) it would cost you $2,522.6088

Now, tell me again how you will release this fish...

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Good eating smaller halibut or cod aren't that hard to come by that you've got to kill a monster female. We had fish and chips tonight, but I've still been using up some of my vac sealed stuff from last year & the year before.

If you guys are lucky enough to catch a three hundred pound halibut and want to eat it feel free to do so.

Not me, but that's just my opinion. To each there own.

Just think of all the toxins she has scrounged up off the bottom and stored up over the years. Yum Yum, take only the oldest dogfish while your at it too!

As an old single Guy I'd let it go as someone who loves fishing I'd keep it.

A bit like trophy hunting-it's probably passed it's genes on to future generations already.

It gets the harpoon and the Louisville! Its a food fishery. My family would eat well and we had no problem consuming over a 150 pounds of clean Halibut last year and none was wasted. As far as I am concerned every Halibut I catch makes me a derby winner. :D

"We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."
-Robert B. Oetting

That is a good question Cuba, as for myself I would like to believe that I would release,,,, but in a derby and ten gees at stake?
Spear, stab, whack,whack,whack,whack![}:)][}:)][}:)][xx(]

IMG_1445.jpg

Back