So... I Have all these Plugs

Fishin'Zinn

What can I say, It was the long weekend, I was feeling good, and I did one heck of an impulse buy. A absolute boat load of plugs (100+)... I thought I got what I'd like to call a reasonable price, for a mostly assorted, unknown miscellaneous bunch of them, both brand new, and used condition.

Maybe somebody could tell me something I don't know. I think there are a few beauties in here... A handful of a few battle-worn scarred up ones which got me excited, but the rest, well I really will be spreading the wealth, and getting rid of some to get some of my money back for those that may be interested (but that's another thread for another day!).

Basically really want to get into trying plugs more. Good ole' Eastern area 16 where I am always fishing out of at hasn't been so kind to me this year, I want to find something that can produce! Fish so few and far between, I figure this can give me a better chance while hauling (a**!) around at plug speed so I can cover more ground, more quickly - and still be productive enough to potentially find a decent school of fish when I pass by!

Here's some of the most notable varieties of the bunch, I KNOW the Blue 7" (500?) - that should be a good one (all scarred up from fish!), just tie to the split ring opposite the weld, good to go, others may need the pin pulled, etc.

20140907_153305.jpg

Not sure how good those Iridescent ones will be, don't see them used much.

20140907_152554.jpg

Doubtful that any of these 7" may be 'killers'... Maybe Pink/white?

20140907_152550.jpg

20140907_152546.jpg

I bet the Purple one here will be good! Orange one is interesting , but from what I've heard everything indicates orange is no-good for chinook lures (unless it is all about the action on these)

20140907_152542.jpg

20140907_153301.jpg

20140907_160729.jpg

20140907_160648.jpg

20140907_160639.jpg

20140907_153301.jpg

Just LOOK at that blue one! - Hoping it's good! A lot of teeth marks

20140907_153310.jpg

20140907_160739.jpg

Notice below, all the #116's - Useless?
This is my 'beat up/useless looking 'pile' - but they may be good? Doubtful... At least out of all them I have this is really the worst 'looking'!

20140907_161010.jpg

I guess on this one, the hook is bent as it was a commie rig - Plug sure got the S*** kicked out of it!

20140907_144537.jpg

Orange plug that looks productive, but oddly enough... It's orange, yet it has teeth marks? :p

20140907_151126.jpg

Most of these are "old school colours" (I'm sure a lot of you will agree), but it will get me started, just trying to spread the knowledge and see what people might think! From what I have read though - it seems the few great plugs people discover are more about the action, than the colour, no?

Unforunatley, no glow plugs I don't think, so might not be of any use at all if I drop these down to 200' +... I saw the 158's and got all exited, thinking they were 602's. Oh well! I might try to repaint some as well in that case!

Here's hoping my impulse buy... Was a good one! (thankfully I don't keep a score of these things!) :)

Anything in the boxes in the pictures 7 down and 9 down get my vote for summer fishing......

Fast plugs usually don't work for stacking spawners....you need to go slow...pulling pins on plugs that you need to go slow is a good idea......

Picture that is 4th from bottom......plug second from right......Glow 602....that is a good plug all year and works for spawners too....

Picture that is second down....plug far left......good one for right now.

And for sure try the orange one for spawners......I can tell you a story about a plug that looked almost exactly like that........

and....pearly/pinky plugs like 156,158,203 in non-glow are still good for spawners right now....in sizes 5,6,and 7

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever want to get rid of some let me know. I could always use some more. The one bag has a bunch of green eyed monsters. Try that one. Did you have any brown plugs in that group? Great offshore plug.

Thanks for the detailed insight, nice of you to take the time... Would like to know your 'Orange plug' story seafeaver!

Pretty happy about this buy actually with how many new ones there are. Looking forward to pulling some around this weekend I will report back.

Killer B's... Pm'd ya! - Also funny how you mention those 116's - I thought they weren't worth it!... Well fish will bite anything when they are feeding.

If you ever want to get rid of some let me know. I could always use some more. The one bag has a bunch of green eyed monsters. Try that one. Did you have any brown plugs in that group? Great offshore plug.

I agree. Try the Green Eyed Monsters (the 116's). Good pattern!

The first one on the left in the second picture has caught me a lot of fish as well as picture 8, second plug from the right. Looks like it has done well.

The fish I've caught on those two plugs has been in the Alberni Canal, late August.

That one that has the bent-out hook looks sort of like a #652..........check the number on the end of it if it's still there....

if it is a #652....that is a good plug.......

( I didn't know the commies were allowed to use barbed hooks.........:confused:.....)

3rd pic 5th and 6th from the left #50, been good for me on wcvi when pilchards are around.

One very productive tyee plug was one giving to me by a fisherman when I was a child at some fishing fleet send off they use to have down in Victoria's inner harbour. It was a green backed, white bellied "fast plug". Caught a couple of tyee's, several undersize and several misses while rowing. It was eventually sacrificed to the great salmon god.

Fish'nZinn:-

actually you have a lot of good plugs there....for different conditions and areas.......

Don't jittery about fishing 7 inch plugs at times.......they will produce..

That orange plug:- one time in the Alberni Inlet around this time my buddies wife put a plug like that on as we laughed at her for making such a choice. We weren't laughing when she hauled in a nice big slab on it a very short time later.....

Fish'nZinn:-

actually you have a lot of good plugs there....for different conditions and areas.......

Don't jittery about fishing 7 inch plugs at times.......they will produce..

That orange plug:- one time in the Alberni Inlet around this time my buddies wife put a plug like that on as we laughed at her for making such a choice. We weren't laughing when she hauled in a nice big slab on it a very short time later.....

Thats always the way... I heard they also use orange coloured plugs in the charlottes

Back