So, Does $2.00 a litre affect your fishing?

Seem to have veered off the will $2 a litre gas affect your fishing habits topic! I changed the title slightly so we can focus on fishing.

As someone mentioned earlier, part of the $2/liter is carbon tax but you'll be getting a carbon tax rebate on your income taxes:
For 2021, British Columbia provides a rebate of $174 for an individual or first adult in a couple, $174 for a spouse/common-law partner, and $51 per child.

So put that 87 liters in your boat and go fishing!

Many countries in Europe such as Netherlands, Germany, Sweden and even oil-producing Norway have been paying $2/liter for a while - and life there carries on nicely. If you want really cheap gas, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela come to mind.
True but only the elite own boats

As someone mentioned earlier, part of the $2/liter is carbon tax but you'll be getting a carbon tax rebate on your income taxes:
For 2021, British Columbia provides a rebate of $174 for an individual or first adult in a couple, $174 for a spouse/common-law partner, and $51 per child.

So put that 87 liters in your boat and go fishing!
At 17 gph that ain’t getting me very far
As far as $2 a litre goes I will always find a way to go fishing, not far off what it was this summer up north anyways

I am either moving up size new boat or podding one I have, and yes it has made me rethink it a bit more. Bigger boats with larger power are out for me. 150-175hp max.

I am not getting larger truck either. Happy with gas mileage on the 1/2 ton.

less solo trips for sure, otherwise business as usual. friends pay the fuel. charters up by 200.00 for offshore days.
tuna, well... its tuna...

There is a powerful inflationary force afoot right across the G7: demographics. Baby boomers are leaving the workforce faster than post millennials are entering it. The slight surplus of workers that we've had in Canada for the past 40 years is a thing of the past, unless immigration is greatly stepped up.

This general shortage of workers across the entire economy is a baked in upward pressure on wages and salaries, and therefore on all the goods and services produced in this and all the other developed countries.

McDonald's offering 17.50/hr plus benefits package is a sign of the times that won't go away anytime soon. They're already experimenting with robot operated deep fryers because of so much pressure on supply and price of workers. The rock star incomes for oil industry workers are gone, the new boom is in the trades where there has been a structural shortage of trained skilled workers for a decade already. Signing bonuses for carpenters and diesel mechanics is already a thing.

There is a powerful inflationary force afoot right across the G7: demographics. Baby boomers are leaving the workforce faster than post millennials are entering it. The slight surplus of workers that we've had in Canada for the past 40 years is a thing of the past, unless immigration is greatly stepped up.

This general shortage of workers across the entire economy is a baked in upward pressure on wages and salaries, and therefore on all the goods and services produced in this and all the other developed countries.

McDonald's offering 17.50/hr plus benefits package is a sign of the times that won't go away anytime soon. They're already experimenting with robot operated deep fryers because of so much pressure on supply and price of workers. The rock star incomes for oil industry workers are gone, the new boom is in the trades where there has been a structural shortage of trained skilled workers for a decade already. Signing bonuses for carpenters and diesel mechanics is already a thing.
Absolutely, and this shortage was forecast at least 20 years ago! Governments talked it to death. Moms, Dads and teachers all programmed kids that university was the only acceptable route to a career with occupational prestige. Manual Labour was thought by the millennials to be the President of Mexico.

It takes at least 4 years to get through formal trades training ( - if you get a seat. But then the B.C. completion rate in 2019 was only 46%) and another four years to develop decent skills. So I get a big laugh when white collar weiners like the Conservative Leader say "If elected, we will solve the housing crisis by building a million homes." Look around Sherlock - with exactly whom?

Last edited:
Absolutely, and this shortage was forecast at least 20 years ago! Governments talked it to death. Moms, Dads and teachers all programmed kids that university was the only acceptable route to a career with occupational prestige. Manual Labour was thought by the millennials to be the President of Mexico.

It takes at least 4 years to get through formal trades training ( - if you get a seat. But then the B.C. completion rate in 2019 was only 46%) and another four years to develop decent skills. So I get a big laugh when white collar weiners like the Conservative Leader say "If elected, we will solve the housing crisis by building a million homes." Look around Sherlock - with exactly whom?
Equally ironic is that one of the key ways to free up people not currently participating in the workforce is cheap childcare, but to build the physical facilities needed in BC will take even more of the skilled trades that we don't have. (Nonetheless we need to do it anyway - if we are serious about taking a bite out of child poverty).

Equally ironic is that one of the key ways to free up people not currently participating in the workforce is cheap childcare, but to build the physical facilities needed in BC will take even more of the skilled trades that we don't have. (Nonetheless we need to do it anyway - if we are serious about taking a bite out of child poverty).

Europe has full time free pre K, rather then child care

Europe has full time free pre K, rather then child care
Would love to see that here, I'd like to think we have at least started on the path. Much inefficiency in our economy when the state pays to educate and train people only for them to end up leaving the workforce because they can't afford daycare.

So... subsidize daycare--> utilise human resources that taxes already funded --> improve balance between supply and demand in labour market --> reduce upward pressure on wages --> control inflation --> stabilize fuel prices --> fish more often! (Or purchase bigger boat...)

Back to fishing. I tow with a diesel, and I run a D3 diesel for main power - both deliberate choices for efficiency, range and operating cost. My 9.9 burns maybe $40 worth of fuel in a week of trolling some hours a day. I spend more on my wife's wine, and that doesn't include my beer or scotch. Don't even get started on the cost of the boat or trailer, or their maintenance. $2 a litre is unlikely to change my choices.

Back