Smoking Salmon

Hello All,

Just bought a new bradley smoker. Looking for the best way to smoke some of the fish I have n the freezer. What has worked well for you?Thanks

Trial and error... Your smoker comes with a recipe guide. I use a version of their Indian Candy recipe. I use less salt than they reccomend and I use alder (about 12 pucks). Depending on the thickness of my de-boned filets I smoke for 8 to 16 hours with the temp set at about 80. About 3 hours before I take them out I brush some pure maple syrup on them. Yummmy!
May2009fishing012.jpg

i recomend using a dry brine(coarse salt/ brown suger) rather than the wet ...remember you are trying to draw most of the moisture out. pure maple syrup glazed on near the end of smoking is an excellent tip s.s

soupy c

I used to use the dry brine for years and it was inconsistant at best.
Will use nothing but wet now.

Ohhhhhh I don't know. Not too sure that my wet brine can be touched by any dry brine Ive tried. [:p]
Although I'm sure a felt wader sole would taste good smoked with any brine.... everything is better smoked

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

everything is better smoked
While smoking up a batch of Salmon I've even taken table salt and spread it out on something flat and smoke it then use a dash of it in different dishes to add that just smoked flavor. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Make sure you check out the recipes in the recipe section of this forum (http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7). In fact this topic should probably be over there!

Don't know if you're planning it but don't bother with Lox for a while 'till you get a good handle on how to consistently maintain your temp... and you feel like babysitting your smoker for hours. Or you can get that made pretty cheap (Dad gets it done for $2/lb at Campbell River Seafood and then does his own regular smoked salmon).

Make sure you leave the skin on - unless you're making jerky!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

quote:Originally posted by soupy c

i recomend using a dry brine(coarse salt/ brown suger) rather than the wet ...remember you are trying to draw most of the moisture out. pure maple syrup glazed on near the end of smoking is an excellent tip s.s

soupy c
Yup, the maple syrup is good, I do this too along with some coarse, fresh, ground, black pepper.

quote:Originally posted by soupy c

soupy c
Yup, the maple syrup is good, I do this too along with some coarse, fresh, ground, black pepper.

Back