smoker racks

I didnt mean to bash you just a gentle ribbing ;) Plastics are plastics. Im sure the fda and health canada once told us teflon was safe too. I think any heating of plastics in on or near food is weird. Tho im not a freak about it any use teflon pans still for certain things like eggs. Like those oven bags. What the hell do they put in it so it dosnt melt. I dont use those. bpa's in plastic bottles heated just a little... I would imagine silicon mats would put off something. what about the aerosol if your spraying with pam or the additives that make it 'non stick'. Why 'long tenured' does this mean you know more or have something better to say? id like to hear something educational from a new member or lurker who may know more then a hotwindded long tenured member that feels they know everything just because they are long tenured. lol sorry I found that a little funny

i use them for way more than cooking things,

haha mabey i am super tired but lots of posts are making me laugh, I have to ask what else are you using them for?

and why do you sign your name after all your posts!? haha im asking this is a joking/teasing manner not argumentative. ive been researching fishing for months now and since you post quite alot your posts come up and I notice you do it on all the boards you post on and im always like 'why does this guy always sign his posts!?' we can see who the user posting is right there. dont stop just finally glad I get to bug you about it. you seem to have a sense or humor so can see were im coming from.

ps if your into silicon pans or mats Cambodian Tire puts them on sale all the time. also Home Sence has great cooking stuff for good prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey FS, I didn't mean that as a shot at you, though I can see how it may have come across that way. Sorry 'bout that, my bad.

I was actually referring to myself (a new'ish member), and how there are members who have hundreds of posts and contribute a ton of information (Charlie, for ex, has some of the most informative posts I've ever read). I can only assume there are the same number of experienced folks out there (lunkers or members), who have tons of fish smoking experience whether they are old school or new skool (cast/stainless vs teflon/silicone, so to speak), that's all I was getting at.

As for all new products / materials, you are right, only time will tell if they are everything they are supposed to be. I'd like to think that "they" can develop better products based on 20/20 hindsight, but who knows ...

Holmes, I agree. Over-easy in stainless or cast iron ain't, well, .... easy. ;) My wife likes the silicon muffin trays as well.

I think we'll all benefit from some good info posted to this thread ...

Cheers!

Teflon chems found in ice samples!? And you wouldnt think there is any toxins coming off silicon?

Actually, no, there are no toxins given off by Silicone (note we are talking here about silicone plastic not silicon, the element.) All that happens above 260C (500F) is that it melts. So this means it should be good for all smoking. As someone else has said in the earlier discussion about Teflon, if you have temperatures higher than that you have got big problems and the food is being incinerated not smoked!

The chemistry and properties of silicone rubber are explained in detail here:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

Same goes for Teflon - it is perfectly safe for smoking, as it too will withstand temperatures up to 260C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon

The issue of the toxicology of the precursor chemicals used to make Teflon is another issue entirely....

Im not overly concerned about it but just because wiki says it's ok dosnt mean it is Even scientist or who ever after years have been proven to be wrong It's a synthetic product. It has carbon which is a carcinogen which is linked to cancer. For years they said plastic with bpas were 'safe' too. There are somethings that make you go hmm this is one of them for me.

Im not overly concerned about it but just because wiki says it's ok dosnt mean it is Even scientist or who ever after years have been proven to be wrong It's a synthetic product. It has carbon which is a carcinogen which is linked to cancer. For years they said plastic with bpas were 'safe' too. There are somethings that make you go hmm this is one of them for me.

FS,

Of course carbon is not a carcinogen! It is the basis of all life. I quote here from the Wikepedia article on carbon:-

"It is present in all known life forms, and in the human body carbon is the second most abundant element by mass (about 18.5%) after oxygen.[14] This abundance, together with the unique diversity of organic compounds and their unusual polymer-forming ability at the temperatures commonly encountered on Earth, make this element the chemical basis of all known life."

But if you want go ahead and say "hmmm" because silcone rubber contains carbon go ahead....just beware all your food contains carbon, even your beer!!!! LOL

(Apologies RS Craven - don't mean to hijack the thread, but we got into this because someone posted in the earlier discussion that Teflon racks were non stick (and later Silicone came up) and folks started posting ludicrous information like Teflon gives off cyanide gas - Teflon does not even contain nitrogen so that is chemically impossible!! Just trying to get past the urban legends and scientifically invalid information.....)

lol this is not hijacked, its on topic. non stick smoker racks...non stick products and there effects.

Well that makes me feel better englishman. I did a skim read threw the wiki links you posted and caught the carbon name and quickly tried to try to tie what I was thinking together. Plastic that dosnt melt just seems to plain werid.

I use the mats on my Bradley for fish and many other things (pulled pork, etc.) If you google yard and pool, you can order from them. I think they are in the mid west somewhere. I've had mine for years--I soak them overnight, throw them in the dishwasher and voila--good to go. I ordered 8-1 for each rack that I have.
T2

X2 on the "Frogmats" from Yard and Pool ... one of the best purchases I have made this year. I took the same approach and bought 8 (1 for each rack).

Back