smelly fish

M

Maxpower

Hey If i catch a trout at 6am and put it in my canoe how long do i have to fish before the meat on the fish goes bad? I had always wondered this

Max,

A quick Google came up with this:

http://www.toptrout.co.uk/acatalog/Toptrout_Fresh_Fish_16.html

I've always found that heat and dehydration are the biggest issues but cleaning the fish as soon as possible can make a big difference too.

Ideally, gill and gut within minutes and keep cool(or on ice of course) and moist. Even a damp burlap bag is better than just sitting on the bottom of the boat.

Cheers,
Alex

A cooler of ice is the way to go. It doesn't take up a lot of room and the fish will be excellent for hours. Fish does not take long to go soft and then you have poor table fare. Yes, clean your fish right away as I find this to be very important. Good eats!

What about if your float tubing. Will bagging and hanging the fish over the tube in the water do?

Wrap the fish in burlap sacking (available at Buckerfields, and probably other grainery type stores) and dip often to keep the burlap wet, but don't allow the fish to float in the water.
In a float tube use one of your side pockets, but leave the top unzipped, or carry a bungee cord to hold the bag up out of the water on the side of the tube.
Works for me.

Thanks for the info. Should i use a burlap sack as well in the side pouch of my tube? What will happen if the fish is left in the water? Does it go bad or something?

If the fish is left floating in the water, the temperature will rise to or above the temp of the surface water, which is usually the warmest spot.
Not good for preserving the quality of the flesh of the fish, and also a prime medium for bacterial growth.

By suspending the fish out of the water, but keeping it in a dampened bag, the evaporation of the water from the bag will keep the fish cooled to the lowest temp possible, given the circumstances.
Burlap is the preferred wrapping cloth because the individual "strands" that are woven together to make the bag provide for maximum water absorption, while the relatively open weave of the "strands" allow for the greatest air movement, hence evaporation and cooling, through the weave. If possible keep this out of the direct rays of the sun.

Another approach, particularly in a tube, is to line or carry in one of the pockets several of the frozen gel packs that you get for icing up a muscle injury. In this case, I still bleed, if not clean, the fish before wrapping in damp burlap and laying over the gelpacks. The gel packs are easy to clean up, reuseable, and don't leave melt water in the tube pockets. The burlap still help keeps the fish fresh and also makes clean up of the pocket easier. If its a particularly hot day in bright sun, I may also lay a damp burlap over the top of the pocket the fish is in.

Of course, if you have faith, don't keep a fish at 6:00 AM if you are going to be out for a long period of time. Believe more are coming.

Hope this helps.

Back