Smart trim tabs

Pearl dog

anybody, running nauticus smart trim tabs? would appreciate any feedback on their effectiveness and/or your satisfaction with them. considering them for my 17 hourston. currently have no tabs of any kind and i am definetly hesitant about drilling holes in her but i'm also tired of moving tanks and lead around all the time..
thanks

I have them on my Arima, they do work sorta. You pre set them to your boat, hard to get them set up for left to right, you will still be moving lead and gear from side to side. I would not go this route again electric or hydraulic is the best way to go.

We had them on our previous boat. A 19” Starcraft islander.
THE GOOD: thing about them is our minimum planing speed dropped from 20mph to 13mph. ReAlly helped the boat in rougher seas.
THE BAD: thing is when the wind is coming from the side the boat still leans over. You still need to ask your crew to move to one side to balance the boat.
They are better than a whale tail tho.
SETUP: was not too hard. If your boat is heavy on one side due to a kicker , batteries or whatever you can make the tab a bit ‘harder’ on that side to compensate.

If you are in a following sea you don’t want to have you boat trimmed down to much, as when you go down the front of a wave it can cause the boat to bow steer and lurch off to one side - in a bad case it could tip the boat over. You can’t adjust these smart tabs so your boat is more likely to bow steer in this situation.

Doesnt compare to trim tabs which we have on our current boat but also cost a lot less and they don’t need electrics and hydraulics to run them.

Last edited:
Tried the smart tabs on my 172 hourston the helped. But didn’t solve my ride issues I finally went to a set of bennetts and all my ride issues solved

Tried the smart tabs on my 172 hourston the helped. But didn’t solve my ride issues I finally went to a set of bennetts and all my ride issues solved
thanks all for the replys. Im only concerned with roll/lean from unbalance load. seems like these tabs are more about hole shot and bow rise. i'm going to pass

thanks all for the replys. Im only concerned with roll/lean from unbalance load. seems like these tabs are more about hole shot and bow rise. i'm going to pass
Bennett hydraulic tabs are the way to go. They work well, are zero maintenance and are durable (mine are 28 years old!) Plus, their warranty and service are second to none.

Back