Slot Limit Extended for Areas 19 & 20!!

yammy5

Well that's frustrating to say the least!

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0352-RECREATIONAL - Fraser River Chinook - Areas 19 and 20 - Recreational Management Actions Continued

The Department is continuing to implement the measures as outlined in Fishery
Notice FN0092. The Department has been in consultations with representatives
of the Sport Fishing Advisory Board to develop new management measures to
further protect Fraser River Chinook populations as they move past the Victoria
area. Details of those measures are still being finalized.

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday May 22, 2010 and until further notice the daily
limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery marked
between the size limit of 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only chinook over
67 cm in length. These restrictions on chinook salmon will be in effect in
Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Pt to Sheringham Pt.).

An update will be provided on the duration of these management measures in a
subsequent fishery notice by the end of May.

Notes:

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll-free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll-free at
(866) 431-FISH.

Variation Order No. 2010-233 dated May 19, 2010.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the local DFO office in your area for further information.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0352
Sent May 19, 2010 at 11:51
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Well that's just super.

Saw this one coming, not great but at least we can still fish...

Thanks Governor and SFAB for seeing we were not shut down
completely :)

Hmmm... this is going to make the Juan de Fuca derby real interesting! I guess heaviest fish at 67 cm length will win it[xx(]

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Don't worry i have heard that there going to go 1over 1 under a couple days before the derby just a rumor though.

Not a surprise given rumblings of late ... at least it is still just to Sheringham, not to Owen Point as some suggested it would be.

I heard JDF derby may be cancelled ... though nothing on their website about it.

Interesting this part of the new reg notice:

quote:Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment.

I am generally all for the good deed of helping the scientists better track fish and plan for the well-being of the future salmon stocks. But those 1 or 2 wire coded salmon heads caught in JDF last year are the reason for this closure ... used to demonstrate that all the JDF anglers are a main cause of the collapse of early run Fraser springs, rather than all those people fishing the mouth of the Fraser or right into the River itself! yeah right, that makes a lot of sense...

It doesn't leave a very good taste in your mouth for helping out, shows where "good guys" finish.

In any case, see you all at Sheringham! ;)

I talked with Fred a while back and it's going ahead no matter what,they might just have to make it largest hatchery.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

I talked with Fred a while back and it's going ahead no matter what,they might just have to make it largest hatchery.

this is all such a friggin headache trev...I checked last years JDF derby and I couldn't spot a hatch at least in the top 50 fish. There was one for the SSE that won it, but that is beginning of August - that June area seems really dry for hatchery fish. This is why we decided to move our Consultants derby into July, but we are still questioning that decision daily given the loosey goosey DFO...first it was July 15 and Sheringham, then it was June 30 and Sombrio, now Sheringham is popping back up with earlier June dates. What a joke these guys are. We are just a derby, what about the charters, retail, and resorts that rely on this industry? These guys have no clue.

maybe the derbies should stop posting their results and numbers of fish? Its just one more tool they can point at to show how many fish JDF anglers are catching.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't be doing derbies when our fisheries are in such a state that we can't even keep a wild fish. Or move to a catch release system, if that's even possible with salmon.

Just a thought...

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

With the funding for hatcheries going down hill the donations from these derbies is all thats going to keep them running.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

With the funding for hatcheries going down hill the donations from these derbies is all thats going to keep them running.

That's what I worry about - we don't want to cancel because we want to support SSE (and we don't take much fish anyway)...between us and JDF, I think much of the operating budget is made. Really important in my books to keep up with that support.

quote:Really important in my books to keep up with that support.

absolutely agree but at what point do we stop the derbies? At what point of the decline of the stocks do we move away from kill derbies?

I know the money is important but maybe its time to start looking at other ways of raising money.

Not really against kill derbies(I've entered many), just trying to open up the debate.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:Really important in my books to keep up with that support.

absolutely agree but at what point do we stop the derbies? At what point of the decline of the stocks do we move away from kill derbies?

Can't really speak for JDF as they are obviously much bigger and do take much more. Given the fiasco here and the focus on conserving this early run though, I expect we will move back to August in future years and leave it there. As we are mostly a social/industry derby, the positive I believe far exceeds the negative. 40 chinook in the last two years with $22500 returned to SSE. That is certainly reasonable in my books. There are many other small derbies out there taking alot of fish and giving nothing back - they need to re-assess IMH

quote:An update will be provided on the duration of these management measures in a
subsequent fishery notice by the end of May.

WE ARE ALREADY AT THE END OF MAY DFO IS A COMPLETE JOKE I CAN ONLY IMAGINE ITS GOING TO GET WORSE WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER AREAS THAT SHOULD BE REDUCED WHY ONLY US?????
THEY ARE A FCUKEN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY PI$$ ME OFF THE WAY THEY JUST WORDED THAT THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT.

IM A BETTING MAN ILL BET YOU WE WONT EVEN GET ANYTHING BY THE END OF THE MONTH THEY ARE SO FCUKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOLF

You know Poppa, even if there maybe a negative perception of having a fishing derby when stocks are in trouble - when you consider that that the Consultants Derby last year raised $13,500 for the Sooke Hatchery, which is about 50% of their annual budget, and only killed around 30 chinooks - what does that tell you? And now think about that probably 50% of the derby's participants would have gone salmon fishing anyway that day - derby or not. And the consider that the Sooke Hatchery can provide several hundred spawning chinooks from this donation.
I think there is no question that those local fishing derbies with salmon related charities are very important for those local salmon initiatives especially in view of ever subsiding government funding for such projects. Some may argue that the same money could be raised for the same reason doing other type of events other than fishing derbies. But believe me, experience shows that having people experience the beauty and bounty of our coast first hand does raise critical awareness that much more and ultimately opens their wallets further.

In most of these derbies most guys would be out fishing anyways derby or nor derby.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

Hey Chris,

I think you missed my last post I agreed completely with what you are saying about Deewar25's derby.

yeah, he was probably typing as you replied...Chris is just as responsible for our derby as I am, along with a supporting committee of 8-10 - takes alot of extra hands to make these happen! Thanks for the kind words - we do try to make a difference.

Back