Sit-On-Top Kayak Fishing!

:) Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and would like to know if anyone in Victoria enjoy Kayak Fishing. If so, I'd like to get together for some paddling, crabbing, and fishing fun!

I'm still new to this whole thing, still learning as I go...I bought an SOT Scupper Pro Ocean Kayak in 2006 and was very excited to test paddle. Since then, I have taken it to Kennedy Lake for some camping, paddle in Clayoquot (sp?) Sound and saw an Orca feeding on a school of herring nearby! That was an awesome feeling.

I tried fishing at Otterpoint - Sooke for the first time, didn't catch anything. Heard an unusual Blop sound underwater, I decided to trolled elsewhere and paddle towards the rocks.

Has anyone try launching their kayak by Jordan River or French Beach? If so, have you had any luck with catching Salmon?

Love to hear from you!

VictoriaPaddler - VP

Shouldn't be a problem launching at either JR or FB or Port Renfrew either. A friend of mine paddled a sit-on-top type kayak solo around Vancouver Island back in the '90's and caught lots of salmon from it.
During years of major salmon diversions outside VanIsle then through Juan de Fuca you can catch salmon close to shore all along west of Sooke to JR and even further west. I lived in JR from 1975 til 1987 and had great fishing at times barely 100 metres offshore.
Lots of fun for the adventurous but always remember you are playing with an element (the ocean) that can stun and kill you very quickly, so be weather-wise at all times.

Take care.

quote:Originally posted by Dave H

Shouldn't be a problem launching at either JR or FB or Port Renfrew either. A friend of mine paddled a sit-on-top type kayak solo around Vancouver Island back in the '90's and caught lots of salmon from it.

Lots of fun for the adventurous but always remember you are playing with an element (the ocean) that can stun and kill you very quickly, so be weather-wise at all times.

Take care.

Thanks for the tip Dave! I did check out French Beach in '06 but it was bad timing as the Navy was doing it's Sonar testing. I didn't catch a darn thing. The Sonar must have scared off the fish.

I did try Sombrio Beach, lots of fishes there but boy,...the waves were wild.

Are you still residing in Victoria? Any interest of going fishing?

Thanks.

VP

I live just south of Campbell River nowadays and hardly have time to fish much anymore, so not a good candidate to join you down there.

Check out the western areas past Sooke and you can find lots of neat things. Sea caves and lots of neat things west of JR too.

Have fun but.....

Take care.

Originally posted by Dave H

I live just south of Campbell River nowadays and hardly have time to fish much anymore, so not a good candidate to join you down there.

Rats,...oh well, I guess I'll just continue to paddle on my own.
Thanks for the info. I saw some photos a friend of mine took at Sombrio, there's like 3 waterfalls just a few short hike.

VP

2 years ago i watch a guy play 3 fish from his Kayak at Otter point. He didn't have any trouble hooking fish, it was landing them that he needed too perfect. I think there's more equipment available now for fishing from Kayak's, rod holders etc ??

Well, I'm all excited and this summer I'm definitely hitting Otterpoint for some Kayak Angling Action...so, if any of you see a Yellow SOT Ocean Kayak nearby, that'll be me.

VP

Back