Recommendations for beach fishing from a kayak?

Ronanmd1

Hey everyone - I am planning a trip out to the island at the end of September. Although I am planning to get out for some trolling, is is getting a bit late in the season. Given that the fish will now be moving to the rivers, I am wondering if there might be some good opportunities for using the yak to get in tight to shore and fish to the beaches or in the estuaries. I have never tried this type of fishing with the kayak. I will be located near Nanaimo. Does anyone have any recommendations for beaches or river mouths that would be accessible this way and might hold fish? I was thinking mouth of French creek or Nile creek?

Thanks for any help and advice

Jason

Was up in Desolation Sound in August & gave a ride to a guy from Belgium who went on a Kayak trip for overnight, then had the weather turn bad. Both him & his partner got separated (too rough) to turn around, went in the drink & end-up being rescued by the Coast Guard.

My advice would be to go no further than you wanna swim. There should still be Coho & Chum in the salt, but I don't know where.

Hey Eric - Thanks for the feedback. Kayak fishing really does expose some additional risks, and it is always important to prioritize safety above all else and pay close attention to the forecast and tides, as well as being prepared for the unexpected with the appropriate safety gear. Having said that, it is certainly a blast! Sounds like that couple was fortunate that you were around. This time of year it makes sense to hang tight to shore anyway, as that will likely be where to find the fish...

Treblig loves the beaches on the east side of the island north of Nanaimo for coho at this time of year -- and for good reason -- but you have to be willing to search for them. Of course, those guys are absolutely spoiled for beaches and easy beach access up that way. (Yes, my envy is showing again.)

I'm new to it, but I've been doing some kayak fishing down here around the southern tip of the island. Just as with shore fishing, if I catch something I view it as a bonus. I just like being out.

I launched out of Cheanuh Marina a couple of times last week. I only caught one wild which had to be released, but I had a fantastic time.

Just a bit of an update. I managed to get out a few times. Two days at French Creek and one day down at Otter point. The kayak with electric Cannon down rigger set up worked great. I ended up catching only one wild coho and a bunch of smaller jacks. Looking forward to many more trips out to the island next year.

Back