Single or Twin??

Thanks Sir Reel for posting that video. Looks like the single is quicker at mid-ranges and the twins at upper-end (if speed and time to plane matters..). Bit of a difference wrt gas consumption: 10-15% less for twins, from the video.

I think they way I would summarize the comments on this thread wrt strengths/weaknesses of single verses twins would be:

1/ Slightly more weight and cost for twins (thanks Sly karma), but also need to factor weight and costs of a decent kicker and bracket,
2/ Slightly less fuel consumption for twins - if that video holds for 2-strokes and E-Teks,
3/ Better docking and slow trolling with twins, but more importantly as far as I am concerned:
3/ Where are you fishing? Close to shore/home port - or instead long distances and weather? If you are fishing on most lakes, and close to home - a kicker might be adequate. If instead you have ****** weather and long distances - I believe twins are the better choice - as described above by Sir Reel, Fishtofino, Tidal Chaos, Gunner, AA, and others posters.

I have always had single engine and kicker for emerg (most b/c boat was around 20') but I am considering getting into a 24-26' boat in the next couple years and will most likely have to choose between a single 300-350 or twin 150-200hps. I cross the Strait a lot and fish a fair amount (no offshore, however... yet) and over the years I've converted from being a single engine + kicker guy to leaning more towards twins. Like everything boat related there are pro's and con's but to me the ride with twins just feels more solid and it's nice to know if your '175hp' main craps out you've got a '175hp' kicker to get you home. Who knows, I may change my mind yet again based on this thread :)

My Cousin bought a Campion 682 a few years ago and we pondered this very thing. We found Yamaha data that showed that twin 150's burn 20 to 30% more fuel than a single 250 or 300 at cruise.
We also found that a 300 burned less fuel than a 250 on the same boat at cruise. In the end he went with the Yamaha 300 and a Yamaha 9.9 HT kicker. He loves it.
Yes if you are going 67 miles offshore consistently then twins are a great idea. But if you just go 10 miles offshore once in a while then I don't think is necessary IMO.

I have been fishing the west coast for a while now and have had weather sneak up on me a few times; especially fishing near shore where convection winds tend to be stronger later in the day; I would not want to be coming into the near shore waters on a kicker in 15-20 kn winds, especially coming into Trevor Channel on a out flow where the current starts around 3-5 miles off the beach and the wind builds the swell and they start to get real steep, this is where the power of a second main can make the difference just in safety for boat and crew. I look at it as a safety thing.

I once had to come through Porlier Pass on a kicker because my main on my center console died; it starting blowing SE on the outside and was getting real uncomfortable to be out there; main wouldn't start and it was the only choice we had; that only took us 2 hrs and we were trying to stay out of the main flow and far enough off the beach as to not get pushed up on the rocks or hit a rock.

so it doesn't matter how far out you are or where you fish; the second main can ease a lot of stress off the operator when you need the power to get home safely. Kicker is great for fishing; maybe saving some money on maintenance; cost to purchase and a little fuel, but if it is more a safety thing; I would go with twins, because ya never know when you are going to need the power to get you out of a situation!

But if the second main 150hp doesn't go any faster than a kicker or single in limp mode then what is really the point?

16195987_1401438479888261_4278525670476473878_n.jpg

I have been fishing the west coast for a while now and have had weather sneak up on me a few times; especially fishing near shore where convection winds tend to be stronger later in the day; I would not want to be coming into the near shore waters on a kicker in 15-20 kn winds, especially coming into Trevor Channel on a out flow where the current starts around 3-5 miles off the beach and the wind builds the swell and they start to get real steep, this is where the power of a second main can make the difference just in safety for boat and crew. I look at it as a safety thing.

I once had to come through Porlier Pass on a kicker because my main on my center console died; it starting blowing SE on the outside and was getting real uncomfortable to be out there; main wouldn't start and it was the only choice we had; that only took us 2 hrs and we were trying to stay out of the main flow and far enough off the beach as to not get pushed up on the rocks or hit a rock.

so it doesn't matter how far out you are or where you fish; the second main can ease a lot of stress off the operator when you need the power to get home safely. Kicker is great for fishing; maybe saving some money on maintenance; cost to purchase and a little fuel, but if it is more a safety thing; I would go with twins, because ya never know when you are going to need the power to get you out of a situation!

It can come down to your comfort zone. If twins make you feel more comfortable and enjoy boating more then that is what you should get. Not sure there is a right answer.
Another option that I see out there is twins plus a kicker. Or even another is a single with a Yamaha 25HP HT kicker would should have enough power to get you through the wind and current.

Here is where we got the data for twin 150's vs a 250 or 300

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Can't remember which boat we picked but here was the data on an identical boat.

F150 uses 25.4 liters per hour at 4200 and 30.4 knots
F250 uses 43.4 liters per hour at 4200 rpm and 35 knots
F300 uses 33.4 liters per hour at 3500 rpm and 32.8 knots

So 2 x F150 is 50 liters per hour compared to 33.4 for F300 and faster cruise

If you're coming in from the tuna grounds on a single, pushing 14KNTS (and an impressive bow wave), you need to watch your fuel levels - your fuel burn will be very high.

the only loose number there is the 150hp as when run as a twin the second prop will create more drag and weight then 150 single, so in theory the twin 150 would use more fuel?
for me it a single in the 20-25' boat market. with all the new technology on outboards they wont leave you stranded. when they do running a single outboard wont get you on plan so your doing kicker speed, might as well just drive the kicker.
this video some may have seen. now i only post this to show a F200 pushing a 25' boat. it does not plane only 10mph, my 300 limp mode will do 8, so why all the extra cost associated with twins? twice the service, twice the wintering, etc.
skip to :30 and ignore the etec promotion.
i think the manufactures recognize this as well, this is why they are trying for larger and larger hp models F350 and rumours of a V8 2 stroke, especially when the technology is so good now adays

That was a interesting comparison...to bad they had to use Yamaha's :eek:

Last edited:
Just don't get a Yamaha 350.
Do NOT get a Yamaha 350.
Unless you really want to test your kicker often

350 has issues, don't get one. you've been warned.

the 300hp started have problems up here....Last year heard of 8 blowing up in around 600-800 hrs on them. .Mine calved with 650hrs..basically I was told **** happens.. too bad for u.... there is a grave yard of 350 in the charlottee's

Last edited:
There's one thing no one has mentioned, and it may be minor but its one of the things I like about having a kicker. When ever I go on vacation I bring plastic auxiliary fuel tanks along to run the kicker off. It gives me extra fuel capacity, but also peace of mind in case I get bad gas at a marine barge in my main fuel tank. I try to fill my kicker tanks on land, so I know at least my kickers fuel source is always good. It may be a minor positive, but it always makes me feel better when I'm on a trip. At home I always tank up on shore, so I don't bother with the extra travel tank.

Lots of great point here guys, but still debating which way to go.
The promotional video that Bones posted is interesting...the 150 etec got that 4300 lb boat onto plane after about 30 seconds, so would it be reasonable to think that if I went with twin etec 150's on a +/- 3650 lb (dry) boat that planing on one might be possible if one calves?

The promotional video that Bones posted is interesting...the 150 etec got that 4300 lb boat onto plane after about 30 seconds, so would it be reasonable to think that if I went with twin etec 150's on a +/- 3650 lb (dry) boat that planing on one might be possible if one calves?
Well i can get a 26 ft Hourston up to 16 knots on a Merc 135 Opti

There's a big Contender on the hull truth that planes on one G2. I think it's very likely that you could do the same.

Here's just my 2 cents
Single w/ Kicker - Great for 95% of the rec boaters out there. Local fishing, runabout/ commuter, with emergency backup. Long distance now and then isn't a problem. Definitely a lot cheaper operating and maintenance costs.

Twins - Offshore/ Long distance. Twice the oil changes (4-stroke), twice the maintenance, however the performance from twins is very nice, great acceleration. More fun to Drive, great to dock with. They have an awesome thing called "sky anchoring" now, do-able with twins. Worse fuel mileage over long distance for comparable output. If I am 50 miles from help, I'd want confidence that if I have a breakdown I am not putting my life in the hands of a 9.9 HT kicker!

New two strokes (G2), lots of torque. Talked to the local dealer at the boat show, he is a big proponent of a single engine on a big boat if you want to save a bit. Both have pros & cons. If you are using your boat every single day, or guided, use twins of course. You need dependability if you have an issue out there to make sure you don't completely ruin your clients day. A good mid-output outboard now will usually be very reliable if maintained. Top end models (350 V8 ahem) kinda less so.

Most important regardless of what you choose, just make sure you never underpower your boat! More the better :D make the engine work less and hammer down when you can to heat cycle it!

Back