Silver Horde Coho Killer

• Thread starter hercules_rockefeller
  • Start date
Either Nikka or Pacific Net and Twine handle Gold Star products but I don't think I've seen that spoon in either place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

quote:Originally posted by bananas

I just got some from west marine.

was it the one near granville island or the one in richmond?

went to berrys bait and tackle in richmond today and they had 6 different color styles

quote:Originally posted by hercules_rockefeller

quote:Originally posted by bananas

I just got some from west marine.

was it the one near granville island or the one in richmond?
I was in the one near Granville Island last week and never saw any but they were getting a bunch of new stuff in they've got some OK gear now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Morning Guys,

Anywhere there are Needlefish, these thin little spoons are hot for everything from coho to mature Chinook offshore. Have caught Halibut on them as well. We almost always change out the hook before using though.
We have been using them for some time now, and were originally limited to a handfull of colours that worked very well (Chart/Silver, Green/Silver, Army Truck, Watermelon etc.)
Now they have many more hot colours that we are looking to try.
We have a pretty good selection in our Tofino Fly & Tackle, with more on the way if anyone wants them to be mailed out we can try and help. We have worked with Gibbs and Oki for years now on spoons, and wish one of them would go with a thin metal Needlefish spoon like this, but there is a lot of $ involved with RnD for new product.

Jay

Tofino B.C.'s most recommended Fishing Outfitter.
www.tofinofishing.com

art this is the number in washington for silver horde and gold star where they make them 425 774 7300 good luck

Thanks for the info everyone! I ended up going down to Berry's, and found them there

quote:Originally posted by tofinofish

Anywhere there are Needlefish, these thin little spoons are hot for everything from coho to mature Chinook offshore. Have caught Halibut on them as well. We almost always change out the hook before using though.

What do you usually replace the hook with? A 2/o siwash? I was thinking it would be a good idea to clip the welded ring, attach a split ring and swivel and attach the hook to that. The advantage being added distance between the lure and hook so it lasts a bit longer.

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

Do they work pretty well?

They are a great little spoon anytime there are candlefish or sand lance around. I use them more for springs and feeders than for Coho. I agree with tofinofish that you should chnage out the hooks. The ones that come on them seem pretty brittle to me. I cut off the rear welded ring, add a split ring, a small barrel swivel and then the hook.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Thanks for the info everyone! I ended up going down to Berry's, and found them there

We were using a Gamy 3/0 Siwash which worked well for a day or two, but rusted the point off quick.
Last season we were using a new mustad open eye siwash model ????
Bronze, deep well and shorter shank. Really tough hook.
We haven't stripped the welded ring off, as it hasn't failed. This is a common issue with Coyotes though...

What do you usually replace the hook with? A 2/o siwash? I was thinking it would be a good idea to clip the welded ring, attach a split ring and swivel and attach the hook to that. The advantage being added distance between the lure and hook so it lasts a bit longer.

Tofino B.C.'s most recommended Fishing Outfitter.
www.tofinofishing.com

This video has been posted before but if you haven't seen it you might find it interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdqhSvJWQgs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecaptaindownriggins%2Ecom%2FVideos%2Ehtm&feature=player_embedded

Hadn't seen the Captain's video before. Thanks for the link.

Who is the Captain? Seems fairly knowledgable, and willing to share.

These spoons are also available at $3.99 US$ from Cabelas but they do not show them online. 24 hrs phone is 1-800-237-4444. Item # is
ZK-12-3909

They came out with some new UV patterns late last year. My favorites were the "White Lightning" (all white UV), the Silver/Lime Green UV and the Purlpe/Silver UV.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

Back