Silva Bay Salmon Derby

R

RobTufnail

Silver Blue Charters Ltd.

GABRIOLA ISLAND & AREA REPORT

On The Line - June 6th, 2007 Report

By Bob Meyer - Silver Blue Charters

The annual Silva Bay Salmon Derby is to be held June 23rd and 24th at Silva Bay Marina. Tickets are $25 per rod, or $50 per family. Tickets are available at Silva Bay Marina, Pages, Village Paint and Hardware, Harbour Chandler, and Screaming Fish and Fly. There is a $1,000 prize for largest chinook, plus other prizes for released chinook, ling, most unusual, etc. All weigh ins are at the gas dock/float plane office at Silva Bay Marina. Hours are dawn until dusk on Saturday, and dawn until noon on Sunday. Prizes will be awarded at approximately 1 P.M. on the lower deck at Silva Bay Marina. Burgers, dogs, and beer will be available. Del Horn will be "fishmonger" (weighing the fish) in addition to the staff of Silva Bay and Tofino Air. Thanks to all our sponsors who make this event possible!

Chinook fishing has been spotty over the past week. The Mainland Bobcat Derby was held last weekend, and the weather and fish weren’t too cooperative. This is naturally because everything is holding off for our derby when the fish will be biting, and the weather calm and warm. (Got to be an optimist to be in this business!) Thrasher, Grande to the waterfall, and the “hump” off Neck Point are still the spots to fish. Rhys Davis tiny strip baits in green/chartreuse, Coyotes in black/white or green/white, or hoochies in green spackleback or Army Truck are lures of interest.

Ling and rockfish open June 15th, with a one fish per day limit. Remember to record the ling on your license!reat prizes.

I am not prawning until the commercial season is finito.

Who else is entering.

Shermanator and I will be there. Booked a slip on Saturday night at the Silva Bay Marina. It's going to be the first fishing trip for my new (to me) 19' Bluewater. If you see us at the dock on Saturday night stop by for a pop.

oh i will be taking part, i posted this mostly for all you vancouver guys who like coming across to thrasher. I only see about 12 of you fishing it when the weather is nice;)

so come on over!

I fished the crofton derby today,
13 fish out of 110 rods.
winner was a 15.5lb

My buddy and I got to fish last night we both got salmon and got them weighed at Silva last night here's a picture of my 17.6,
IMGP6325.jpg

Going to Hardy tommorrow,

NICE looking Fish. A real Chromer! [:p]

i caught one more today around 11 lbs, lost some to seals.[}:)]
fished the grande.

the winning fish was 24, and there was several others other 20 lbs.
including a released fish over 20.
overall catch was well over 20 fish, most of which were in the teens.
i won myself some konezone dummy flashers as well;)

Took my new boat out in the derby and it got its first fish within 2 hours. I hope that's a preview for what's to come.

We were trolling between Grande and Entrance in 250 feet of water on Saturday morning and it was starting to blow, so we decided to take our gear up and head back up to Grande instead of pounding our way back up against the wind. I popped my first rod off the rigger and brought it up, then I tripped my deep rod. I always let my flasher and lure drift up while I wind my rigger up. I was about half way up from 150 feet and I heard my reel screamin'. It turned out to be a 15 pounder. We released a few more feeders that day. We also weighed in a 10 pounder on Sunday. It was good to see lots of fish being weighed in.

Here is the 15 pounder:

DSC01714.jpg

Back