Sidney Reports?

Has anybody been out on the water lately in Sidney? Heading out for the weekend but we really need to stick around due to time and gas limitations. I read the Island Outfitters report but I'm wondering if there is some more current info? Thanks!

Sound like you think it possible PoPPA. Did you want a pic of it swimming around the warf?
LOL

Id love one, and maybe while you're at it lets have some underwater footage of the actual strike - without that forget about it.

When I first heard of it I did not believe it, but I confirmed myself, otherwise I would not have put it on the forum. The guy works at Marigold Nursey if you want to go check it out yourself.

well its very hard to believe and to be honest I still think its the case of someone getting a high 20's and eyeballing it as a 40(weird how it hit right on 40lbs.) - awesome if its true, just extremely unlikely.

thats funny, I heard somebody got a 40lb just off the breakwater sometime in the last couple of weeks. I bet that rumour spawned from the same fish you guys are talking about.

cpony is an honest angler and he would not post if not true but in general alot of guys have no clue about the size of their fish. My question is why not the Sidney area, that fish is heading up the Frasier, the Columbia or the Cowichan river why wouldnt it be in the Sidney area.

because of the 15 years or so I've fished the southern vancouver island I spent 9 of them fishing saanich inlet and sidney waters. A 30lber was huge news a 40lber well I've never heard of it.

Also the columbia river estuary is in oregon and the Cow and Fraser aren't known for "huge" fish, espcially not this early.

Case in point, last time I did fish sidney some guy comes up to the dock all cocky and asks "ever seen a 30lber" and pulls out a fish, we pull out a scale and its barely 20lbs - very typically for the fish starved angler(ie. sidney angler).

Absolutely is this no hack on Cpony I think he got bad information, I fully believe that the angler thinks he got a 40lber - I just don't believe that it actually was.

One of my friends is the neighbour of the guy who caught the fish. He caught it jigging in the channel off of the powder wharf. He apparently weighed it on an "official scale" and it was 40 lbs. My buddy saw a picture of it and it was definitely a 40 pounder.

So believe it or not.....

Considering some guys caught a 50+ spring off of the Oak Bay flats a few years ago, a 40 pounder off Sidney shouldn't be that surprising.

wasnt there a 40 or sometihng liek that pulled out of sidney last winter? i read it in an islandoutfitters report

quote:Originally posted by Jockey

thats funny, I heard somebody got a 40lb just off the breakwater sometime in the last couple of weeks. I bet that rumour spawned from the same fish you guys are talking about.

that 40 was atchually a 37lber. The guy who caught it phoned his dad to tell him if he could smoke it, his dad wasnt there, he just had a stroke moments before the call.

Back